• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Looks like we need to take some action to urge that an amendment be added to an upcoming bill. The amendment is needed to protect shipment of materials for making ammunition.

I don't know much about this bill at all, just passing on the email alert. You are urged to contact your congressmen, specifically Rep. Oberstar, about adding an amendment.

H.R. 4016: Hazardous Material Transportation Safety Act of 2009 (GovTrack.us)

I heard this on Gun Talk Radio at gun talk.com Sunday Evening. I looked it up and it appears to be a legitimate concern.

H.R. 4016: Hazardous Material Transportation Safety Act of 2009 (GovTrack.us)

Threat to Ammunition Availability - Action Needed

As demand for ammunition continues to outpace supply, it is critically important that an amendment authored by Rep. Sam Graves (R-Mo.) to a seemingly obscure hazardous material bill (HR 4016) be attached to the legislation during consideration on the House floor.

When the bill passed out of the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, Rep. Graves secured a commitment from Rep. James Oberstar (D-Minn.), chairman of the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, to allow a vote on this amendment. The amendment being pushed by Graves will help protect the shipment of materials necessary for the manufacturing of ammunition.

Without the Graves Amendment, the rate of production will slip, perhaps precipitously. In-turn, decreased production of ammunition will lead to decreased availability. This will lead to an increase in ammunition prices directly affecting consumers. Given the current high demand for ammunition, passage of the Graves Amendment should be considered critical to gun owners, law enforcement and the military. Floor action on the bill is anticipated soon.

The National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) -- the trade association for the firearms and ammunition industry -- is encouraging all hunters and sportsmen to contact Rep. Oberstar and urge him to support the Graves Amendment. Chairman Oberstar intends to bring HR 4016 to the floor prior to the end of the session (most likely between Dec. 8 and 22), so time is of the essence.

Congressman Oberstar can be reached at:
    (202) 225-6211

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I looked the bill over in it's entirity. It has NEW legislation regarding lithium batteries on airplanes and hoses for flammable liquid carrying vehicles. Outside of that, it is funding an improved training regimine regarding Hazmat techniques (battling fires caused by Hazmaterials) and improving enforcement of existing laws on Hazmat transportation.

Says NOTHING about ammo or materials associated therefore. Is there something else that is NOT in the aforementioned bill that I am missing? Improved enforcement (actually catching nitwits that are shipping primers via USPS without telling them) and teaching more firefighters (particularly volunteer forces, read the bill text) doesn't seem like a bad idea. It says NOTHING about ammo or any powder, primers or anything else that is associated with it. The bill pretty much reads more money for existing enforcement, but add lithium batteries as a no-no for flights.

Voting for this bill would help things out, but how much more than the existing system would? No offense in the question, just confused...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I have not read the bill as yet, however, DH, I would ask: If the bill does not say anything about ammo or components of ammo, would it be correct to say that it says nothing to exempt ammo or its components either?

If it does not, and ammo or components are considered haz mat, it is possible they can be affected, I would think.

Off to read now.

ETA: The bill as I read it right now specifically excludes ammo and firearms.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:
    Top Bottom