• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I see this type of hawk everywhere, but typically up on the wires just before he/she swoops down on a field mouse or something (awesome).
    I'm pretty sure it's not a redtail because they're around here too and pretty easy to pick out (note.. no red tail). I don't know if this is a immature redtail or something else.

They certainly do not like to be looked at - I was lucky to get this before it look and me and took off.

It's hard for me to ask for help as I consider myself somewhat of a "birder" but it's time to stop and ask for directions.

Any help?

Hawk_zpsac3b29d8.jpg

jballs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Those darned brown ones are the hardest to identify. I can only tell a red-tail by their size and tail feathers.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Certainly seems to be a red-tailed hawk due to the stoutness of the legs, the little "poofy" feathers around the knee.

Could also be a Cooper's Hawk.

I know that I have a VERY hard time telling the two apart - without them being right next to one another. The Red Tailed Hawk is a much more robust bird than the Cooper's Hawk.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    The red-tailed hawks have a shorter broader tail than the Cooper's or sharp shinned hawk. The red-tailed hawk is in a different genus than the other two and is quite a bit larger. The tails are the easiest way to distinguish between them.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    If you look at the yellow on the beak and the white under the chin it looks much more like a peregrin falcon. There are quite a few around indiana. Their bodies look alot like the redtails.

The redtails generally have a solid brown chin and darker beak
    falcon_zps48b568b5.png

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Top Bottom