• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    So today i went to so today i went to gander mountain with my son. It's a decent drive from where I'm located. I was OC my xd40 and was pushing him in the stroller. He's 18 months old and is pretty alert. I was checking out a Norinco sks. When these 3 guys walk in and notice the rifle I was holding. One guy says "that's a pretty sweet gun dawg"! That's when I notice thy were dressed like "hustlers". One of the guys had his pants down past his ass, I didnt understand how the dumb ads could walk around. I didn't reply and gave the rifle back to the employee. Then the" thug "points at my xd and says that's your dawg? That's some tight "****" then asks what he has to do to carry a gun. Hen openly admits that he carries a hand gun illegally. I turn my head back to the employee and thank him for his time and to have a good day. I take my son and start to walk off. Then I hear one of the guys say "don't be walkin away while this mans talking to you homie". At this time all I'm focused on was getting my son out of the store. I eventually get out since its from one end to the store to the other. I get my son in the car and get ready to leave. I'm back out and I see the little gang walk out looking all sorts of pissed. But why I'm getting at is, have any of you had a encounter with someone. That you think shouldn't have a gun, do to there personality. Or appearance. Last thin I want is that guy to have a gun and think he's tough ****. Flashing it to look cool or whatever. Sorry to be judgmental but I wasn't sure, I know a gun store can refuse to sell people firearms or ammo. So it kinda had me wondering what would want them to refuse service. Thanks for the time INGO

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    I try to not judge a book by its cover, so unless there is a prominent things like possible under the influence, I don't get to bent out of shape. Now in your instance it might have been rude on both parts to ignore each other, but when they actively come into the parking lot seeking me I would get defensive. I would have let them know to leave me alone.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I've never heard of geezers picking a fight with a guy open carrying. Sounds like they wanted to intimidate you into handing it over to them.

Well played. You ignored their moronic jive, and left the scene without any contact. It is never rude to ignore a stranger, especially one that is dressed and behaves obscenely (its not just hood clothing, they dress to intimidate on purpose).

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    this thread can get me in all kinds of trouble.. so here it is in short version, im glad the toolboxes were ignored, post above is probably right about them being dead fore too long, and its too bad your son had to witness the local wildlife in full form.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Sounds typical. Outnumber a guy who is going to protect his kid by not being confrontational.

Good job evading, but perhaps it may have been better to stay in the store with cameras ;)

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Honestly, I much as I dont like that breed of person, it may have been rude to completely ignore them. When they asked about what it takes to carry a handgun legally, I probably would have directed them to guy behind the counter and told them to ask him about the LTCH. Im honestly suprised they even cared about doing it legally.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Something similar but not negative. Happened at a gun store I worked at part time. 3 "home boys" came in and I was showing them around some firearms and they asked about the AR15 on the rack which was my personal rifle I brought in the try parts on to see if I like them. When they realized I came to work with an FNP45 and an AR15 they got all wide eyed and said things along the lines of "d*** dawg remind me never to cross you" "wheels here be packing some real heat, he don't play". I chuckled and then they finished their visit and left. They were actually nice guys. Just hard to understand their lingo and they had to permanently hold their pants up by their hands.

VostocK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    When people like that ask me gun questions I usually recommended high-points or old Davis Arms brands. I also "let them in on the secret" about how its better to carry cheap target loads "because they are more accurate for competitions", and hollow points are not aerodynamic and thus inaccurate. Maybe I am just a jerk or maybe I am saving a life down the road, I'll never know.

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    Honestly, I much as I dont like that breed of person, it may have been rude to completely ignore them. When they asked about what it takes to carry a handgun legally, I probably would have directed them to guy behind the counter and told them to ask him about the LTCH. Im honestly suprised they even cared about doing it legally.

I would rep you again if I could, just because someone doesn't act or look the way we prefer doesn't mean you have to have a negative mindset about them.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    About the only things that I can think of that would cause one of the big chain stores to refuse service would be if the individual either was literally falling down drunk or didn't have any money. Otherwise, as long as they passed the NICS, the store would consider them good to go.

bmgreen13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Parts Unknown
    Since I wasnt there I cant say if you handled it right or wrong but me personally, I would of at least talked to them and answered his question. Just because he dresses and talks different doesnt automatically make him a bad person.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I try to not judge a book by its cover, so unless there is a prominent things like possible under the influence, I don't get to bent out of shape. Now in your instance it might have been rude on both parts to ignore each other, but when they actively come into the parking lot seeking me I would get defensive. I would have let them know to leave me alone.

When the "gentleman" opened his mouth and began to speak, he revealed the contents of his character. Fair game to judge from that point on IMO.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I've met some interesting people at work. They were from the Chicago area and I grew up in the sticks. Totally different cultures. I finally broke the ice with one guy one night about the particular job he was doing and we got along fine after that. It took me stepping out of my comfort zone to take the first step. We could have just gone on giving each other the stink eye but I made a friend.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The fact that he actually asked how to carry legally says to me that he's at least interested in doing things right, and I think he should have been encouraged in that, even if only by redirecting to the sales clerk while moving the kid.

But in answer to the OP's question, yes there are people that I firmly believe should not carry. They're usually the ones arguing that nobody should have any guns.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I've met some interesting people at work. They were from the Chicago area and I grew up in the sticks. Totally different cultures. I finally broke the ice with one guy one night about the particular job he was doing and we got along fine after that. It took me stepping out of my comfort zone to take the first step. We could have just gone on giving each other the stink eye but I made a friend.

+1

I have had the same experience. In my line of work the guy next to you could have an engineering degree and on the otherside the guy could have served time for man slaughter. You would be surprised at times how much you might have incomon.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    +1

I have had the same experience. In my line of work the guy next to you could have an engineering degree and on the otherside the guy could have served time for man slaughter. You would be surprised at times how much you might have incomon.

There's a saying when it comes to certain types of animals. They're just as scared of you as you are of them. We all have stereotypes. Not everyone fits in those stereotypes. Imagine the mindset of a guy who was born and raised in poor areas of Chicago coming to Lafayette to work in a factory that is 90+% white and Hispanic. He sees jacked up 4x4's and various other redneck accoutriments in the parking lot. For all he knows, he's living out the movie deliverance.

I've found that the older I get, the more intrigued I am about other cultures and lifestyles. I have no idea what it's like to grow up poor in an inner city hood and I would like to better understand their perspective. Doesn't mean I have to live their life, agree with it, etc but I don't have to condemn it either.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Never kept stats, but I'd say 90% of the loud and rude urban types get DENIED in the NICS.
    Have sold some guns to decent guys who kinda sorta act like that, but they the more reserved, certainly not loud and rude.
    It seems as if volume is telling of character.

The most loud/rude? The guys that come in 3 to 5 in a group reeking of weed and or booze, 5 minutes before close. Yes, intriguing culture.

Top Bottom