Have you ever considered making the calendar exportable to google calendar?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Just wondered if you guys might consider making the forum calender compatible with some of the more popular calenders out there. That way I could simply export the whole calender to my google calender account and have access to it anytime I look at my cell phone and can cross reference what days I have free to attend some ingo events.

Not necessary, but it might be useful for some (many).

Actually you could have anyone who runs a certain area of events... (for instance Appleseed) make their own google calender and import it so that the INGO calender updates automatically.

Last edited:

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    oops... meant to edit and accidentally double posted this thread.

Can an admin/mod please delete this one?

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Cool idea. Wonder if it's possible?

Other sites have it set up that way. I connect my personal google calender to 2 of my local gun range calenders and whenever I want to see whats going on at the range for the weekend, I check my phone.

AnthonyG

Gentard
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Ann Arbor
    If you would be kind enough to code it & build the plugin for vbulletin, im sure we can implement it.

Also, we would need someone to keep the google calendar updated, would you be interested in doing that for INGO?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you would be kind enough to code it & build the plugin for vbulletin, im sure we can implement it.

Also, we would need someone to keep the google calendar updated, would you be interested in doing that for INGO?

Are you being serious or saying it isn't realistic?

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy

[video=youtube;3bImBBTaPDY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bImBBTaPDY[/video]

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012

I don't know anything about coding or any of that... but google already makes the calenders. I'd be happy to create one for INGO and update it if you think you can embed it? On a side note... someone already keeps the bottom of the forum listed with upcoming events, so I'm not sure what would be the difference, but I'm certainly up to the task.

I would also think that it might be better to just allow others to make calenders specific to our forum events and then export their calenders to the INGO calendar. For instance... Jedi keeps track of all of the NWI events. She could make a calendar and any time she adds an event to her calendar... presto it would automatically show up on the INGO calendar.

With this said, I'm no expert on all of this... if its not worth the time, then thats all you have to say. I personally don't know whats all involved, but if its as simple as creating a calendar on google and then embedding it on INGO, it might be a useful tool for users.

AnthonyG

Gentard
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Ann Arbor
    I offered to implement it if you make it, thats all i said.

If you want to take it some other way, im not sure what else to tell you, but thats your choice.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    If you want to take it some other way, im not sure what else to tell you, but thats your choice.

Where are you getting the impression that I "took it some other way".

I'd make it, but I don't know how or even what that would entail... and assume you have a better idea than I do on what would be involved. If its a hassle to make for the people who know how... or if you (the staff) feel its not worth the time or not a good fit for INGO, I'm cool with that.

I was simply questioning whether or not its possible? And whether or not it would be something the staff might kick around to see if it would be worth it. Thats all... Maybe with luck a computer savvy member will read the thread and take you up on your offer. Sadly, I'm not educated enough in this type of work to try.

Unless of course its as simple as creating a google account... making a calendar and PMing you the embed code.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I don't know anything about coding or any of that... but google already makes the calenders. I'd be happy to create one for INGO and update it if you think you can embed it? On a side note... someone already keeps the bottom of the forum listed with upcoming events, so I'm not sure what would be the difference, but I'm certainly up to the task.

I would also think that it might be better to just allow others to make calenders specific to our forum events and then export their calenders to the INGO calendar. For instance... Jedi keeps track of all of the NWI events. She could make a calendar and any time she adds an event to her calendar... presto it would automatically show up on the INGO calendar.

With this said, I'm no expert on all of this... if its not worth the time, then thats all you have to say. I personally don't know whats all involved, but if its as simple as creating a calendar on google and then embedding it on INGO, it might be a useful tool for users.

:)
    The pink may have fooled you, but Jedi is a guy.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    @lucky oooohhhh u think i'm a girl... :faint:
    he,he,he... i wonder why?
    i do like the idea but i'm sure anthonyG is busy and overwhelemed with all the other stuff to keep INGO alive and running daily. Over at taw.net we have 2 webadmins that just maintain and keep the website/servers running daily and then we have a seperate team under them (4 coders/developers/deaigners) that take new ideas and try to make them work. i dont think that level of support is here on ingo yet so you might have to bring the code/end product to them before they can try it out.

btw you are not the first person to think i'm a girl or even straight!!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... Over at taw.net we have 2 webadmins that just maintain and keep the website/servers running daily and then we have a seperate team under them (4 coders/developers/deaigners) that take new ideas and try to make them work...

If AnthonyG isn't up to it, maybe jedi is our MAN to get this done with his taw.net crew?
    Possibly INGO could work out an advertising barter or something?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :nono: our taw.net crew is busy enough already working on the next version of our website.
    we dont have time to outsource our talent to other websites sorry.

what i was getting at is what my taw.net webmaster always tells me.
    yes anything is possible in software but do we have the resources and/or time and/or money to do it?

we as users (both here and on taw.net) can ask for the stars and moon buts its an issue of resources/manpower. i dont know how ingo is run from that end it looks like its just 1 or 2 ,ain guys/girls doing most of the heavy lifting. if so new development is on a slower pace as upkeep is a constant daily battle.

i imagine that ingo like taw is all work for free so that makes it even harder on those that keep us up and running as they have real jobs and then do this on the side. it took taw.net 4 to 5 years to get from a 1 to 2 man concept to the structure we have now (2 admins, dev team, managers overseeing both unitsm etc).

no our system over there is not perfect but it has improved our development cycle. we have done outsourcing as well (paid a company, paid freelancers to help as well).

Top Bottom