• ...and so much more!
  • JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Looks like discussions on full auto machine guns have for the most part gone away or at the very least are lost in other topics. Realize between $20,000 HK sears, $10,000 Uzi (or getting close) and dollar a round ammo that is not available that some of the shooting and new owners are down ... but has it really dropped to nearly zero really or has everyone moved someplace else (either physically or on line) and a separate Indiana full auto forum is indicated and/or out there. Even the traffic on the NFA Board at Subguns.com is down, as can get caught up for several days, with out it going off the bottom into the archives?

Myself shooting is down to zip this year between family health issues (father got a new heart valve at 90 and is down great), work (since consulting can't complain when get enough/too much work, don't get paid other wise) and since my heath is better have been doing work outside that could not in the past for half dozen years. At least for myself ammo is not a factor as still have some of the ammo got when the current administration got elected the first time and got three times as much the second election .... Plus seeing ammo in stock on line at an ok price for a few minutes until it sells out (Wolf 5.56 was aviable the other day at thirty cents a round for several minutes ;-), so thinks are improving before the 2014 AWB scare and/or cutting off foreign imports of military style ammo.

Myself have stopped trying to get new shooters out, the last several attempts of me taking out NFA virgins failed as the new shooters could never get time set aside even though I was supplying the range, ammo and firearms any time of their choosing. If shooting with friends will of course still let them or a kid shoot, but that is now days the exception to the rule and for the most part stick with other machine gun shooters / owners.

Couple links to last years shooting:
    http://www.issmc.com/jt/index.htm
    http://www.issmc.com/556beltfed/

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don't have any full autos and a current prices, it probably isn't in the cards for me. But I would like to learn more about them and you're right, the subject rarely seems to come up these days.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I think with the price of ammo today and the multi thousand dollar price tag on MGs it just doesn't interest a lot of people. I am so thankful I made the decision to get my M11 when I did. They're already selling for $2000 more than I paid and I know ill never have the opportunity to afford another with the growing prices. I haven't shot mine in months, can't afford to. I am going to do some shooting over the fourth, and I'm going to try and not be stingy with my ammo, but its hard when id have to spend an arm and a leg just replace a few mags worth of ammo in my small stash. I'm still kicking myself in rear for not taking advatage of everyone paying rediculous AR prices, selling all of mine and having enough money to just buy an M16. I know that was the only chance ill probly ever have getting one and didn't take it.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I'm still kicking myself in rear for not taking advatage of everyone paying rediculous AR prices, selling all of mine and having enough money to just buy an M16. I know that was the only chance ill probly ever have getting one and didn't take it.

I sold off a ton of my pre-ban stuff back in 2003 (before the AW ban sunsetted in 2004) to buy an M16. It has sat in the safe for the last few years due to ammo prices. After buying LC XM193 for $199 per 1K shipped back in the early 2000's, I couldn't bring myself to pay even last summer's $400 per 1K, let alone pay today's current rip-off prices.

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    Love my M16, been shooting a lot of 9mm with it(much easier to reload than 5.56). With the VLTOR A5 stock the rate of fire is just right. That's the only thing I've done with it lately.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    What are the chances there will ever be another chance to register more MGs? It seriously makes me upset and a little sick to my stomach knowing that there very well may never be anymore machine guns for civilians. Ever.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    The MG Ban took effect on May 19, 1986, and we've lived under that ever since. With all the current attacks on our Second Amendment rights, I don't see the general public supporting "more evil machineguns on the streets" anytime soon.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    I have been running the **** out of my RLL since I picked it up finally in may

Ammo prices are starting to catch up with me though. I have plans for at least 2 more mg's a DLO trigger box and a 1919 but they will be a little bit before I can afford them

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    The MG Ban took effect on May 19, 1986, and we've lived under that ever since. With all the current attacks on our Second Amendment rights, I don't see the general public supporting "more evil machineguns on the streets" anytime soon.

I'm just thinking that if there will never again be another amnesty, the prices will eventually have to stop rising. They're already to an almost affordable level for any normal person, aside from the few that have a true love for them and really concentrate on saving for them. Eventually the prices are going to get to a point where noone can afford them, and sellers will have no choice but to come down on their prices. That, or a few very wealthy gun nuts will end up with all of them.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I would love to own an M16 or Thompson, boy would I! :rockwoot: But with 3 kids and life in general it isn't going to happen for me anytime soon. But if anybody is near me I will be happy to shoot theirs!!! :ar15:

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    JTinIn I haven't had my 1919 out since late last Summer. It seems like there's not enough hours in a day to do everything I want to do. My gun is stripped down to the receiver box at this time. I need to put it back together and get it headspaced & timed.
    I'm expecting an adaptor for the Lafette heavy ground mount to arrive soon. I'm looking forward to working with that. It should be an excellant mount to shoot off of, and it will be a learning experiance.
    Before it arrives I will order some of those "German Manuals Translated To English".
    There are manuals for the tripod, and the optic.
    The Lafette I have is a newer HK-made mount for the MG3. It does not have the "search fire" feature that the older wartime versions have.
    Last Winter I made a can holding bracket that is nearly identical to those that OOW and others sell for the 1917A1 tripod, minus the grooved part that actually slides into the attachment point of the 1917A1.
    I intend to make a bracket that will attach the homemade can holder to the pintle of a MG3 AA tripod. Again, too many irons in the fire and another unfinished project.
    The can holder turned out real well. Side by side comparison with the OOW 1917A1 version it looks good.
    I have a few cloth belts of 8mm on standby, so when the tripod adaptor and German manuals arrive I hope to make time to experiment with the Lafette.

goneshooting

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Ammo cost

All my MGs have not left the safe this year , hard to find ammo and prices are killing me and the fact that its getting harder to find places to shoot them. I have even thought about selling them , but I probably wont still to much fun when I do take them out. I to have noticed the class III message boards getting shorter I only check them out about once a week. MGs anymore are for the rich and famous.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Me and some guys are getting together to do some MG shooting on the fourth. We'll have my M11/9, a guys Sten, and another guys M60, M16, and a 1919 in a slidefire cradle. Should make for a great Independence celebration. Should be worth depleting some of my stash.

Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    True enough about MG's. why do you think everyone talks about sbr, sbs and suppressors all the time. Because that's all they can actually afford!! To buy n shoot....for the vast majority anyway...just my two cents....

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The prices are just to high for the average person. My goal is to buy some land first so I can have an outdoor place to shoot and enjoy my guns and just being away from nosey neighbors. I have a lot of 5.56 ammo stored but I can't afford a full auto m16. I'd love to have one. I'd more like to have a full auto AK. I miss all the guns I took for granted in the military.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Looks like discussions on full auto machine guns have for the most part gone away or at the very least are lost in other topics. ...........

Myself have stopped trying to get new shooters out, the last several attempts of me taking out NFA virgins failed as the new shooters could never get time set aside even though I was supplying the range, ammo and firearms any time of their choosing. If shooting with friends will of course still let them or a kid shoot, but that is now days the exception to the rule and for the most part stick with other machine gun shooters / owners.

--- Well I guess it depends on what kind of talk you want...

--- Technical Talk.. How to make it work??? or adjust that???... A couple things come to Mind.. If it is just Purest Full Auto only Machine Gun Talk.. Yes that will be limited and get more limited each year..

No More Transferable guns being built.. And the ones that have them already know for the most part know how to keep them running. Also they are keeping them for a long time.. Limiting how many new people will come on board and ask the dumb how to question... And Less people to answer the dumb how to question.

If it is legal or paper pushing talk, that is all to alive and well and seems to be the growing part of NFA discussion. For many it is about as fun as pulling a Mangled possum from the wheel well of your car.. Sure you have to know how to do it.. But how many times do you really want to discuss it with others..

Seems more discourse of technical & what if issues is on the Suppressors, Semi Auto Belt feeds, And Semi auto military full auto look a likes etc.. They are making more each day. More new people coming on board.. More new dreamers of what can I do with this ... More people asking can I do this and what if I did that..

Now per your comment of not finding new people to take out and shoot with.. Well All I can say is, Sir you are looking in the wrong places..

Do not care if is full auto or sling shots.. You offer to take people out, Provide the ammo, Provide the range, they set the time.. And they do not find the time. Hell its good you find that out early and do not spend any more time on them.

They are really not interested..

Top Bottom