• ...and so much more!
  • g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    LOL! That would be quite the sight! I picture him in a fencing stance as well kind of shuffling quickly towards the muggers yelling with his pointy stick hahaha...but in all seriousness good for him!

ETA: always kind of wondered this...should someone attack you with pepper spray would lethal force be justified? I personally would think it'd be ok since you have a reasonable fear of suffering bodily harm...just wondering what others think since peper spray is a "less-than-LETHAL" device.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    That is really great of the guy. Pretty cool! Amazing,

Wow, using pepper spray as a weapon in a robbery. I wonder if putting a round in these guys is considered excessive force since they are using less then lethal force. Someone pepper sprays me and all bets are off on how I am going to react!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    ETA: always kind of wondered this...should someone attack you with pepper spray would lethal force be justified? I personally would think it'd be ok since you have a reasonable fear of suffering bodily harm...just wondering what others think since peper spray is a "less-than-LETHAL" device.

It may depend on if it's night or day. I would think an attacker pointing a black object at your face in the middle of the night would be enough to justify lethal force. During the day, you might be expected to better identify the object before shooting.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    This is awesome.. great story! And no.. I won't pretend that I knew the term "epee"....and knowing is half the battle...

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    LOL! ...

Disparity of Force is used primarily in female cases, however a good attorney and you conveying to the prosecutor that you truly feared for your life may work in keeping your butt out of the slammer...

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I've been looking at sabers lately. Epees are better than foils, but sabers....sabers are pretty handy.

1) Sabers are primarily a slashing weapon used against the upper body, but you get to whack people on top of the head which is fun.
    2) Epee has a more flexible blade and is used for thrusting attacks (think rapier) but the entire body is a target.
    3) Foil is just annoying, it is so flexible that you can whip it and hit someone in the back while they are facing you. Someone actually scored a point on me doing that.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    1) Sabers are primarily a slashing weapon used against the upper body, but you get to whack people on top of the head which is fun.
    2) Epee has a more flexible blade and is used for thrusting attacks (think rapier) but the entire body is a target.
    3) Foil is just annoying, it is so flexible that you can whip it and hit someone in the back while they are facing you. Someone actually scored a point on me doing that.

I would rather have an epee no question, but a saber, a saber is a sword! You can stick it through someone or slash them. In school I landed several saber blows chopping to the back and side of my opponent's neck. (Get back quick enough when they lunge and they're over extended, then CHOP) We only did one or two weeks with sabers, but I really enjoyed them. Since we were not in tournament, I didn't go for tapping the top of the head for the point, but tried to cut their head or arm off.

I really would like a Patton Saber (1913 Calvary Saber). They are straight and designed more for thrusting the point, but still able to slash/chop.

You are right about foil being annoying, it's like fighting someone with a longish car antenna.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Note: even if you know it's pepper spray, I'd say that deadly force could be justified - what if you're severely ashsmaatic? What if your kids are? Or have another kind of severe allergy to the casacin (sp?)

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Video of the news story --> [video]http://blutube.policeone.com/videos/6484381-fencing-coach-in-gear-foils-robbery-attempt/[/video]

Top Bottom