Have a handgun in your collection that you just don't shoot well?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    i have a handgun that some of my friends seem to be able to shoot better than myself..only one though, with the rest, im the best

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I HAD a SP101 I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with. I wanted to like the gun but couldn't rationalize keeping it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yup. I can't get used to the factory sights on the 10-22. The little diamond thingy in the back just doesn't do it for me. There's no way I'd be comfortable shooting it at distances I'd shoot my Marlin 60 with no thought at all.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I need a laser though to check on trigger pulling.

or a dime.

ballance it on the FS. You're doing pretty good if you can drop the hammer and it doesn't fall off.

If just for range use, try a lighter mainspring for a quick/dirty improved trigger. A 17-18lb 1911 mainspring should work in most commercial ammo. a 15lb 1911 mainspring is good to go if you are using federal primers. You can also get a factory beretta "D" spring, which will be reliable, but not quite as light.

-rvb

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    or a dime.

ballance it on the FS. You're doing pretty good if you can drop the hammer and it doesn't fall off.

If just for range use, try a lighter mainspring for a quick/dirty improved trigger. A 17-18lb 1911 mainspring should work in most commercial ammo. a 15lb 1911 mainspring is good to go if you are using federal primers. You can also get a factory beretta "D" spring, which will be reliable, but not quite as light.

-rvb

Awesome! I will try both of those!

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The experience I have had with the M9 was very similar, but with practice it can be a very accurate gun. When I started with it, I was almost embarrassed to admit those were my targets. Compared to the 1911, or even the DA revolvers that I have shot, the M9 has a much lower tolerance for the shooter not following good marksmanship rules. The closest thing in my safe at home right now is a Taurus PT-92, and it has frustrated more than a few people that have shot it without being familiar with that type of gun. Even now, it takes a little bit of a learning curve to get things tightened up when it comes out to the range with me. With practice, you should have no issues getting good results out of it, assuming everything is in good working order.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    My future son-in-law took my Franken92FS and was able to take out the center of a target at 25 yards. Yes, yards. Of course he is in the Air Force and has a ton of time with the M9/92FS but he demonstrated that accuracy can be had. My Franken92FS (custom built by me using parts from many donors) also has the 92D hammer spring which made a big difference in trigger pull. The Beretta trigger also smooths out the more you use it, like it self-polishes.

Most people who are not used to shooting the 92FS/M9 usually shoot low and right, pulling the hefty pistol down as they pull the trigger. Takes a lot of practice to keep it straight, but that is the key to any target shooting, practice, practice, practice.

Try a D model hammer spring, you will be amazed at the difference in trigger pull.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Everyone keeps telling me I should get the D spring. Well like I stated in the OP, I've had issues with accuracy shooting bullsyes (nra 50'). I use SA for bullseye, and don't even mess with DA. I don't see how a hammer spring could help in SA bullseye shooting? Maybe for duty use, where you'd have to rely on that first shot being DA, but I would honestly see a simple sear and trigger component buff helping much more in my case.

The gun is being delivered to zach @ profire today, and he'll be able to tell me if the gun itself is defective. Something just isn't right here. I benched it again, shot 15-115's, 15-124, and 15-147's and at 15 yards there were many misses and the hits were alllllllll over. Something isnt right here.

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    Only gun I don't shoot well is my Smith & Wesson model 36. But I just picked up 1000 rounds to help cure that issue

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I've got a 92FS that is in my brother's hands at the moment (on loan) that I wouldn't say I shot poorly, but could not shoot as well as most anything else I own or have tried. I found shooting the Beretta oddly distracting, for some reason.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    The D spring not only drops the DA pull but also the SA pull by about 2 pounds.

Oh OK. I'm sure matching that with a thorough buffing will be sub 2lbs then... which is damn good. Have a link to purchase one?
    Every place I've seen is out.

Top Bottom