Have a handgun in your collection that you just don't shoot well?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    So, I recently competed in a local shooting league. I have 4 handguns, and the handgun I chose was my Beretta M9. The reason I chose it was because, this was the very first new gun I've ever bought, and I've only shot it 2 other times in the 4 years I've owned it. I am a pretty decent shot, out to about 25yrds, so I had no real worries.
    Earlier that morning, I got a little practice in with it. Shot 100rounds between 5-12yrds. At 5-7yrds, the groupings were acceptable for a defensive or combat situation. At 10-12 it most definitely got worse. I was a little concerned, seeing that I chose to use this specific gun in the league that night, but o well.

Well night came and it was time to head back to the range for the league. Got there and set up. This was my first time ever shooting bullseye have you.... I saw the black of the targets and learned that we shot at 16.5yrds and I thought to myself, "Oh S**T!" Here I am with a handgun that I completely blow at shooting, and I'm shooting this 3" target at 50 feet. Well, I in fact... blew. Hands down, the worst shooting I've ever done in my entire life.

Now my question to you all, do you have any handguns that just dont seem to work for you? Obviously my M9 does not work for me. I can now remember the other times I've shot it, and remember how horrible I did. I have a G26 Gen 4 for EDC, Para Expert 1911, and a Sig p226 that I can group pretty darn well at 15, 20, and 25 yrds. I highly doubt its the Beretta doing the bad shots, I know it has to be me, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why!!!? I have 4 years of intense finesse on handgun handling and operation, I've tried every grip, stance, and aiming method known to man kind. (also noted, I forgot to add, Zach at profire made me some 124g'ers, and after testing them out, I STILL SUCK). I shoot around 200-300 rounds per week in handgun, so I'm no beginner.

I'm just stumpped. It the worst thing about it is, even if it doesn't suit me well, I just could never bring myself to sell it.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I can not shoot a glock well. The grip is not good in my hand. I would say the grip is not designed for your grip size or style. A .001 inch width or length fifference can make all the difference in the world for fit. If you look at a target, close your eyes and bring the Beretta up to firing position where are the sights pointed? I'll bet they are note on target, try it with one of the guns you shoot better, they should be on target or a lot closer.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    [QUOTE
    How much dry fire practice have you done with that Beretta?[/QUOTE]

I'll second this. My shooting has improved tenfold after getting a couple different calibers of A-Zoom snappers and doing dry-fire practice. My grip is way better, practically no more flinching, though I still have just a bit of pull now and then I need to continue working on. Definitely a huge improvement in my grip, stance, and trigger control.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I'll do all that everyone suggested. I actually dry fire everyday.. all of my guns. I need a laser though to check on trigger pulling. I don't think I do it, but who knows.
    I'm 5'10" have average size hands, and the m9 is a massive gun. Size and weight. I'm almost wonderin if its so heavy that it attributes to me shaking a little to hold it up. I'm a pretty strong guy, but 3lbs of gun and ammo gets to you after a little.
    Its considerably heavier than the 1911 and p226

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I've noticed my first 2 sets of groupings are always the best, and if I do quick shot, or even fast target acquisition, my groupings are quite acceptable. Its always slow fire the kills me.
    I would bet its the crazy weight of this thing. Its def the heaviest handgun I've owned.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I would bet its the crazy weight of this thing. Its def the heaviest handgun I've owned.[/QUOTE said:
    I can see this being the case for sure. Of course, the beautiful thing about this is that you have a perfectly valid reason to trade off for a new pistol! :D

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I've noticed my first 2 sets of groupings are always the best, and if I do quick shot, or even fast target acquisition, my groupings are quite acceptable. Its always slow fire the kills me.
    I would bet its the crazy weight of this thing. Its def the heaviest handgun I've owned.

For most people the weight actually helps them be more accurate. Less perceived recoil, less barrel rise translate to more accuracy. It isn't like a 92 weighs a ton and an average sized man should be able to hold it on target just fine. Particularly if you regularly shoot an all steel 1911. I am not slamming them but Berettas are duty weapons and not really known for being supremely accurate. Although the one I shot a couple years ago was plenty accurate at the ranges you are discussing. Maybe you just need to invest in a target gun that is more suited to what you want to use it for.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    For most people the weight actually helps them be more accurate. Less perceived recoil, less barrel rise translate to more accuracy. It isn't like a 92 weighs a ton and an average sized man should be able to hold it on target just fine. Particularly if you regularly shoot an all steel 1911. I am not slamming them but Berettas are duty weapons and not really known for being supremely accurate. Although the one I shot a couple years ago was plenty accurate at the ranges you are discussing. Maybe you just need to invest in a target gun that is more suited to what you want to use it for.

I really wish I didn't sell my EAA witness and CZ. I wanted a Sig so bad, and honestly I'm happy i did it, because the p226 imo, is the finest handgun I own, but god was my CZ 75B a tac driver, even in stock form, same as the witness, and canik shark fc i had.

I think you're right, though, duty vs target wise. The only thing I can attribute my lack of accuracy would be that everything about the m9/92fs is different. It has a single dot rear sight (military style), the trigger is crap compared to the p226 and especially the 1911, and the weight difference is pretty evident. There is no recoil at all, about the same as the p226.

Another thing I forgot to add... I sandbagged the handgun, and it was STILL all freakin over. If I had one of those handgun correction targets, it would be telling me to correct everything in to damn book lol.

Think I'll check out some CZ 75 SP-01 tactical's today at the 1500

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I can see this being the case for sure. Of course, the beautiful thing about this is that you have a perfectly valid reason to trade off for a new pistol! :D

Man, I honestly could never sell this bugger. I bought it for my 21st bday 4 years ago, because I think the m9 is the most beautiful handgun ever made (many will argue haha!), and for military use nostalgia. Little did I know, that I would suck eggs at shooting it lol.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I really wish I didn't sell my EAA witness and CZ. I wanted a Sig so bad, and honestly I'm happy i did it, because the p226 imo, is the finest handgun I own, but god was my CZ 75B a tac driver, even in stock form, same as the witness, and canik shark fc i had.

I think you're right, though, duty vs target wise. The only thing I can attribute my lack of accuracy would be that everything about the m9/92fs is different. It has a single dot rear sight (military style), the trigger is crap compared to the p226 and especially the 1911, and the weight difference is pretty evident. There is no recoil at all, about the same as the p226.

Another thing I forgot to add... I sandbagged the handgun, and it was STILL all freakin over. If I had one of those handgun correction targets, it would be telling me to correct everything in to damn book lol.

Think I'll check out some CZ 75 SP-01 tactical's today at the 1500
    If you shot a 75B well then the weight idea is out the window. I doubt seriously the 92 outweighs the CZ by any significant margin if at all. But there is no telling why people shoot one well and another not so well. I have even found that true of different guns of the same model.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    If you shot a 75B well then the weight idea is out the window. I doubt seriously the 92 outweighs the CZ by any significant margin if at all. But there is no telling why people shoot one well and another not so well. I have even found that true of different guns of the same model.

Actually, the CZ 75B was noticeably lighter. A railed SP-01 however is about the same weight. But better weight distribution (you know all to well). Gotta love the slide in frame! I wish I could have made it up to laffy that one day to try out some different variations.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    8 away :) I'm actually letting Zach from profire borrow it for a few days to determine if theres something wrong with it. He finds this issue very strange as well. The fact that i benched it and it still looked like a 2 year old shot it (4 freakin rounds out of 10 missed a 11x8.5" of paper at 50ft!!!) has him and I suspicious. If that is the case, then I'll just send it in or get rid of it for another, m9's aren't outrageously expensive right now thankfully.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    We're still up here, not going anywhere. Not to dispute you but the Beretta model 92FS/M9 weighs 33.3oz empty and the CZ 75B weighs 34.8oz empty. I can see why you might think the CZ 75B is lighter. The ergonomics of some guns seem to distribute the weight a bit better for some shooters. Anyway, between my friend and I we have most of the CZ models and wouldn't mind at all if you wanted to come up and try some out. Be advised, none of them have stock triggers.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    We're still up here, not going anywhere. Not to dispute you but the Beretta model 92FS/M9 weighs 33.3oz empty and the CZ 75B weighs 34.8oz empty. I can see why you might think the CZ 75B is lighter. The ergonomics of some guns seem to distribute the weight a bit better for some shooters. Anyway, between my friend and I we have most of the CZ models and wouldn't mind at all if you wanted to come up and try some out. Be advised, none of them have stock triggers.

Awesome man. I appreciate the offer. On a good day when we're both free, I'll drive up!
    Yeah the ergonomics def makes the difference, it sure had me fooled with weight difference.

If I make the CZ plunge again, I'll def be sending it out to CGW for trigger work

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Awesome man. I appreciate the offer. On a good day when we're both free, I'll drive up!
    Yeah the ergonomics def makes the difference, it sure had me fooled with weight difference.

If I make the CZ plunge again, I'll def be sending it out to CGW for trigger work
    Sure, bring some friends.

Top Bottom