Hartford City Double Murder = Lockdown For Schools In 2 Counties?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Suspect on the run after father, daughter killed in Hartford City shooting | Fox 59

According to the article they locked down all the Blackford and Jay counties schools due to a double murder. Father found shot in the head in the parking lot and the daughter shot in the head in the apartment.

So help me out here, besides the daughter being a teenager what does this have to do with locking down the schools in two counties? The shooting didn't take place at a school and the suspect is listed as an older guy with a grey ponytail and goatee.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Suspect on the run after father, daughter killed in Hartford City shooting | Fox 59

So help me out here, besides the daughter being a teenager what does this have to do with locking down the schools in two counties? The shooting didn't take place at a school and the suspect is listed as an older guy with a grey ponytail and goatee.

I'm guessing because the guy was on the run and with a killer loose they are just taking precautions. Can't have him running from the police into a school taking hostages and such.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Abundance of caution. Not that they are so much concerned about the students' safety (although very important). They are concerned about possible litigation if they don't. Our freedom loving country has become sacred to death of lawsuits.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Because as a society people are stupid and overreact on some things like locking down schools and under-react on others like a whole **** load of stuff that would give me a stroke to talk about all day. Society is ****ed

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you heard on the radio some nice spring day while you were enjoying the breeze airing your house out that a murderer was on the run in your neighborhood, you wouldnt close and lock your front door?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If you heard on the radio some nice spring day while you were enjoying the breeze airing your house out that a murderer was on the run in your neighborhood, you wouldnt close and lock your front door?
    Oh give me a break. Not even close to the same thing.
    my front door is always locked because there are plenty of killers walking around now all the time.
    schools goin on lockdown everytime someone farts loud is stupid

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

We had a case a few years ago where a bank was robbed less than a mile from my house. Got a call from my wife who had her office go on lock down as it was a block away. I was off that day and was out mowing the lawn. Decided that since I was already packing heat, that I'd keep about my routine, and if I saw a masked bandit with money bags running my way, I'd take appropriate action.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

Not really the same thing. They shut down the schools in two counties. The local police chief said "I don’t believe that there’s any concern for the citizens.” Not really seeing the justification for such a wide lockdown.

Wonder how well it would go over with the parents in Indy if they locked down every school in the county every time someone was shot in the city.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No, it IS close to the same thing. Schools typically ARENT always locked, unlike our homes. Just because *YOU* do something, doesnt mean the argument is invalid for everyone.

Yes, they do lock down too much.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Never miss an opportunity to lock down schools and spread fear and panic in the community regardless of whether the threat is contained, over, or unrelated to said schools in anyway.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Never miss an opportunity to lock down schools and spread fear and panic in the community regardless of whether the threat is contained, over, or unrelated to said schools in anyway.
    I think that is the case. I live in a small town, and just about any time someone farts too loud in the grocery store, they are locking down the schools. Im really not upset about this, as from the time my kid steps through the doors, until the last bell rings, he isnt supposed to be anywhere but there anyhow. People arent usually coming and going from schools like they would the corner gas station, so really, I dont see a problem, just a bit of caution leaning toward the side of over-reaction.

Most parents raise their children to be dependent on police, teachers, or adults in an authority position to ensure their safety. Just because a large portion of us in this forum teach our children to be proactive in their own security, does not mean the majority of children have that benefit. All we can do is continue on, and hopefully society will return to a place that we wouldnt expect this sort of thing to be an issue.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    No, it IS close to the same thing. Schools typically ARENT always locked, unlike our homes. Just because *YOU* do something, doesnt mean the argument is invalid for everyone.

Do you lock your doors in fear and hide inside every time someone in some other county that happens to border yours gets murdered?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Do you lock your doors in fear and hide inside every time someone in some other county that happens to border yours gets murdered?

No but the office I work at closes the overhead shop doors when IMPD alerts us that the gas station up the block is robbed at gunpoint and the perp gets away. (not the best neighborhood and all man doors locked at all times) So we shouldnt do that?

I'm not saying schools in multiple counties should be locked down in a situation like this but sometimes it IS prudent to put a school on lockdown. For instance if they have a credible threat to a specific campus such as the murdered student's school, where a sibling is a student or parent is a staff member, etc. they definitely should. But as others have stated, administrators arent known for their critical thinking skills any longer. Zero tolerance has rotted their brains.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    If I were principal of a school and there was a report in the media of a killer on the loose I would consider it as an option. I would not be too concerned about the killer coming into the school and going postal. My concern as principal would be all the helicopter parents rushing to the school to rescue their helpless children. By implementing a Lockdown I can keep all the children in class learning and turn away any parent at the door because we are under Lockdown.

[STRIKE]These murders had an interesting twist and my first guess is the daughters boyfriend killed dad and then the girl. If the boyfriend was of school age he may be going to school next to kill the new boyfriend or avenge whatever slight he thought was done to him. (boyfriend = ex-boyfriend, stalker,[/STRIKE] area pervert...).

Besides using the word Lockdown sounds so cool. Just like calling a school a Campus, no, it's a friggin School. Plus during a Lockdown the police get to wear their cool looking Ninja costumes and play with their cool toys that go bang.

Last edited:

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County

My little high school was always locked, except in the morning before school started. As soon as the last bus left the doors were locked. I always assumed most other school were the same way. So most schools are not already locked during the day?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    No but the office I work at closes the overhead shop doors when IMPD alerts us that the gas station up the block is robbed at gunpoint and the perp gets away. (not the best neighborhood and all man doors locked at all times) So we shouldnt do that?

I'm not saying schools in multiple counties should be locked down in a situation like this but sometimes it IS prudent to put a school on lockdown. For instance if they have a credible threat to a specific campus such as the murdered student's school, where a sibling is a student or parent is a staff member, etc. they definitely should. But as others have stated, administrators arent known for their critical thinking skills any longer. Zero tolerance has rotted their brains.

None of which happened here in this instance. It was two counties worth of schools locked down. That's completely ridiculous. That's what we're talking about and you're arguing that it may have been prudent.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    They locked down schools in 3 counties... just saying.

It didn't disrupt the students besides they couldn't leave the room they were in after the lockdown.

Heck it is better than a snow day, in my opinion. At least they were there and it counted

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

I agree with taking precautions for nearby businesses and schools. I've got no problem with that. What they did was lock down 6 different schools up to 20 miles away when the police chief came out and said there was no concern for the citizens. The shooting didn't take place at a school, it wasn't done by a student or even a young person. There was nothing related to any school besides the age of the girl. It was a father and daughter who were both shot in different locations.

If something is happening down the block or in a specific neighborhood then by all means take precautions. There are shootings that take place in Muncie and Richmond yet we don't shut down Winchester when it happens. Most of the time they don't shut down the schools in those towns when it happens there unless there is a credible threat. All this served to do was create panic in the area and upset people needlessly.

Top Bottom