• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I am not sure I see that as religious. Do you guys? Are angels always religious?

0_21_angel_350.jpg

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

Can you copy and paste this story to the forum? I'm not registered with that site and am not going to provide them with the info required to view the story.

Interesting reading the first few sentences though, I can just see Pvt. Sutley standing in formation that fine day refusing to his Marine D.I.s no less to go to church services. He might get away with it today but this occured in 1962! Of course he wrote the article so I'm sure it is written purely in an unbiased or glorified way.:laugh:

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Can you copy and paste this story to the forum? I'm not registered with that site and am not going to provide them with the info required to view the story.

Interesting reading the first few sentences though, I can just see Pvt. Sutley standing in formation that fine day refusing to his Marine D.I.s no less to go to church services. He might get away with it today but this occured in 1962! Of course he wrote the article so I'm sure it is written purely in an unbiased or glorified way.:laugh:

I don't want to register there either, sorry, thats all I have on it. :D
    This is what you get from google search Irv Sutley.

I enlisted at age 17 in the spring of 1962 and was discharged in 1970. During my first week in basic training at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego, California, our training platoon, number 343, along with all other recruit formations were scheduled to take part in the mandatory weekly church services which were held every Sunday morning.

[ILLUSTRATION OMITTED]

All of the new enlistees were required to attend one of four religious meetings: protestant, catholic, buddhist, or jewish. In front of a battalion formation, I refused to attend any of these compulsory activities--basing my refusal on constitutional grounds that the government has no right to compel an individual or class of persons to attend any sectarian activity. This refusal enraged my platoon's non-commissioned officers (the infamous Marine Corps drill instructors) as well as my company's commanding officer. But despite threats of a court-martial, along with personal and off the record warnings and threats, I was determined to hold my ground. Using the right under Naval service regulations to appeal up the chain of command under what the Department of the Navy calls the "Request Mast" procedure, I made it clear that I would take my appeal all the way to then President John F. Kennedy as Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces. I also indicated that if need be, I would also initiate legal action through the Federal court system in order not to be subjected to religious superstitions. Several steps up the chain of command, the base officers, apparently panicked at this show of determination.

They must have realized that a legal victory overturning this compulsory chapel would break down the boot camp structure by giving recruits the practical knowledge that they did not have to obey orders which violate their Constitutional rights. The command structure then administratively excused me from the weekly religious indoctrination.

During my eight year enlistment (all of which I spent as a Private E-1), I never saluted any officer who was a military chaplain. The chaplains wear both religious symbols on their uniforms as well as their insignia of rank. My superiors advised me that as an enlisted personnel I was required to render a salute to the chaplain's military rank, but I countered that as an Atheist I would never salute a religious totem nor would I address a chaplain by military or religious title. When the recruits were processed for their personal identification tags (often referred to as "dog tags"), the following information was to be...

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    In my book...It will always be CHRISTmas. ALWAYS. No one can take that from anyone who believes. I will continue to make a Birthday cake for the LORD on CHRISTmas. Callie will be raised knowing what Christmas REALLY is. California is sick....

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Can't say he's wishy-washy. I have respect for someone who sticks with what he believes. If someone is forced to attend a religious gathering with which they have no affiliation who cares whether it's Islam, Christianity, or UCAW (United Confederation of Alien Worshipers).

I don't, however, agree with his complaint. Whether you believe in the Christian history of Christmas or not, most should agree that the holiday is a celebration for the majority of people, not a Christian way of shoving their religion down people's throats. Most atheists don't take issue with Christmas, Easter, etc. When you aren't part of the majority, you have to be able to accept that things won't be exactly the way you would have them.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    During my eight year enlistment (all of which I spent as a Private E-1), I never saluted any officer who was a military chaplain. The chaplains wear both religious symbols on their uniforms as well as their insignia of rank. My superiors advised me that as an enlisted personnel I was required to render a salute to the chaplain's military rank, but I countered that as an Atheist I would never salute a religious totem nor would I address a chaplain by military or religious title. When the recruits were processed for their personal identification tags (often referred to as "dog tags"), the following information was to be...
    Wow, can you say disrespectful d-bag?

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    "I just don't believe government has the right to intrude on anyone and force them into sectarian behavior,"

Yeah, having a star and an angel on a tree really forced him into sectarian behavior.:rolleyes:
    The article says he's a disabled ex-Marine. I wonder if his venom-spewing hate-paralyzed atheism is his disability?
    (ok, the article didn't say he's an ex-Marine, it said Marine veteran, but I'd like to revoke that status from him.)

Top Bottom