• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    My dad is not much of handyman, so I am turning to you guys. I have one of those recessed can lights with a stuck bulb. The can is mere millimeters larger than the flood light. Anyone got any suggestions short of busting the sucker out. If busting the bulb is the only options, suggestions there would be good too. Thanks in advance.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    You can try to use a suction cup of some sort. That's a pretty normal way of getting them out. Busting it should be your last choice. If you do go that route make sure the power's off at the box, not just the switch.

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    Try getting a good suction cup stuck to the bulb and twisting it out. Thats what worked when it happened here. Sometimes trying to tighten the bulb a little will break it free and it will loosen easier.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I just cut the power (at the box like mrjarrell said) then go ahead and break it so I can grab the edge of the base with needle-nose pliers.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    I just cut the power (at the box like mrjarrell said) then go ahead and break it so I can grab the edge of the base with needle-nose pliers.

I figured that is what it would come to... :dunno: It is a shame the plunger didn't work. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I've used the potato and needle nose pliers tricks both with equal success.

Note: don't eat the potato after using it for this purpose... for that matter, don't eat the pliers either.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    If you do have to break it, I've used a length of pvc or any tube slightly larger diameter for recessed lighting and breaking with a broomstick, if controlling all the glass is a problem. (This was in a location where it would be hard to pick up pieces if they wandered.)

Top Bottom