• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Hey everyone-just curious, does anyone here only own handguns?
    If so, I was wondering what was the thinking behind that?

I know alot of us hunt or shoot long distance-
    A 12gauge has always been a good home defense gun-

So just thinking...handguns only, would that be enough?

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    hand guns enough for what? Self defense? Hunting? collecting? what are we talking about here?
    And just to keep it all in perspective, the other day while explaining to my better half why I wanted another rifle she said, "do you really need another rifle?"
    " whoa whoa!, Get NEED out of your vocabulary." I'm the proud owner of another rifle.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Archbishop's right on it! Define the parameters of "good enough"? What are we looking at here: collecting, hunting, self defense?

For self defense: A good autoloader with plenty of mags or a revolver with lots of ammo and training are sufficient for home defense, especially in urban areas without alot of "range". Even for rural areas, a handgun can suffice if the user can hit things out to 25 meters easily.

It does come down to: For defense (not offense), range does come to play in intent of the shoot in my mind. Shooting someone on your property when they are 50 yards away with a handgun needs alot of 'splaining to do!

Hunting: Properly calibered weapons will take most if not all North American game. We now have large bore mangle-ums (magnums) that can take elk, deer, bear, tax collect....sorry. :D Handguns will severely limit one's range but are still a better bet than a sharp stick.

Inevitable SHTF: Whatever your concept of SHTF may be, range will probably be of consequence. A rifle or scattergun (with slugs) would be MUCH better than a pistol. Even a darn good handgun will be limited (with awesome skill even) to about 50, maybe 100 meters. Farther than that, it would be difficult to hit anything under stress (and difficult to do so even without stress). A rifle is your friend in those situations. SHTF in rural areas? Lots of space: one would be foolish to carry ONLY a handgun and the idea that they can "stretch" it out. Urban SHTF? Maybe, maybe not. Lots of obstacles that could need shooting through and a handgun is limited in that regard, where a shotgun or rifle would be better.

Its all a matter of what you want or need in a weapon.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Started with handguns about 2 years ago. My wife bought a G17 first (upon my pressure ;-) ), then I bought a FN 57, then she gave me SF1911 for my birthday and now I mostly own rifles. She is carrying a Walther PPS now when she is allowed to.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Just wondering if there is enough in caliber selection to warrent having only handguns?

You can get AR's in a pistol format-
    Somewhat of a scattergun-Taurus Judge-very limited, I know!
    Or a Serbu-

Plenty of "hunting legal" calibers

I know rifles/shotguns are a neccesity, but one could get away with "pistol only" the only downfall is distance!!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    A person can "get by" with just about anything. I think the point is, Why?

Personally I own just one more gun then I need to "get by", but own one less gun then what I want.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Thats about the truth of it: A handgun requires more skill and better shot placement than a rifle or scattergun (but you still have to aim a shotgun, its not like hollywood and its not a Claymore mine on a stick), but the plus sides are numerous:
    Concealment
    Mag weight
    Weapon weight

Theoretically, you can get away with just pistols. Cops do it almost everyday (I know they have rifles/shotguns, but honestly, how often do they employ them?)

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Okay add the SHTF factor, are you going to be able to pack your entire gun cabinet if you have to leave-

Wouldnt it be easier with handguns-say in a case of "limited" fire power vs more and more!!

Dont get me wrong, more=:D

Just thinking out loud!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    SHTF - Ok, being honest. Most of us will probably have to rely on our handguns. Why, because that is the firearm that will most likely be with or near us. (Well not me since I drive a company vehicle and our employee manual says no firearms.) If I am faced with a situation were I have to leave the house the handgun is going because it is lightweight, concealable and at the ready. But it would only take me an extra 5 seconds to grab a carbine.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    I only have handguns. I don't hunt. I only have them for personal protection. Not to say that won't change in the future, but for my needs now, I feel what I have is sufficient.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It's totaly situationaly in my opinion. For home defense a handgun will do the trick. Though I prefer to also have a shotgun. For tachtical clearing in combat or law enforcement your hangun is a secondary weapon. Your primary weapon being an assault rifle, and or shotgun. To me I do not want to take shots over 25 yards with a pistol, or a shotgun unless I'm using slugs. A rifle that sighted out to atleast 100 yards is also a must in my eyes. Just my :twocents:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    It depends what your goals are for purchasing such tools. Firearms = specialized tools. What do you want to do with them?

Handguns, as a group or class, are not capable of doing all the things of which firearms (in general) are capable.

If you want to have a firearms battery that will serve you in wide range of capacities, you'll need more than a collection of handguns. A collection of only handguns will limit the owner in some ways.

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Imagine April 19th, 1775 if the citizens didn't have rifles. These men were carpenters, blacksmiths, bakers, farmers, fisherman, doctors, and lawyers. They all had their own rifle (or smooth bore musket), and could use them effectively. Thank God.

This is the reason all law abiding Americans should have a rifle, and know how to use it. Though none desire it, We may one day be called upon by our Creator to renew our heritage.

729px-1885_History_of_US_flags_med.jpg

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    The right tool for the right job. Pistols are highly portable and disguisable. Rifles have accuracy and penetration while shotguns have power. I have never seen a reason to limit myself :)

Top Bottom