Handguns I'd just as soon never shoot again...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Last week, my mother-in-law + her boyfriend came down to "help" with our new baby / spend time / etc.

HE brought two new pistols with him in the hopes we had a chance to try them out / target practice.

One was a new Gen 3 G22 and one was a new XDsc .40 S&W.

I took a M&P9fs.

My limited experience with the Glock platform has mainly been with the 9mm guns, namely a G17, a few G19s, plus a few mags through a G21, and one in .357 Sig (Don't know if it was a converted G22 or a G31)

Same with the XD. I used to have a 4" XD Service in 9mm, plus a handful of mags through some full sized .45 variants as well as some through two different XDsc9s.

You know what? After that outing, I now know that I absolutely hate shooting an XDsc in .40S&W - both with the extended mag and without.

And, surprisingly, the G22 wasn't all that comfortable to shoot either.

I have certainly been spoiled by the M&P pistol's feel and recoil characteristics - especially in 9mm. (Granted, I've never shot a M&P in anything but 9mm...)

I know it's smaller than the M&Pc, but I'd take a M&Pc over an XDsc any day of the week and twice on Sundays. :D

Other guns that I hate to shoot: Airweight J-frame (But I do to stay somewhat proficient), COP .357, S&W500 Mag

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    :popcorn:

OH MAN...those who hate those who hate the Glock are going to pile on you...all teary-eyed and stuff!

No big deal. I have broad shoulders! :D

Does it mitigate anything if I say I wish I'd never sold the G17 I used to have?

I'd rather have that back than the two different G19 pistols and the XD. hehe

Also, the ONE mag of .357 Sig I shot through a full sized Glock was QUITE pleasant to shoot.

I don't think .40S&W and I get along too well is all. LOL

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Something is definitely wrong here..

I shoot a glock 21 converted to .50 cal with only my weak hand. I could shoot the nuts off a squirrel from a football field or two away.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Is this a thread to express our personal distaste in guns or are we all just supposed to pile on Indy_guy for saying something bad about glocks?

That said, I hate every gun i've ever shot that said Glock on the side! :D

Also, a Kahr CW40 with some SD ammo(can't recall what) was no fun to shoot! Kicked hard and the gun has deep, sharp checkering! A mag or two was all you wanted!

Those are the only un-fun guns i can think of, actually!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I hated my Glock 23....Never fit my hand and didn't like it in .40. My EX has it now.
    I hate my old/former backup Baretta JetFire .25...eats my hand between thumb and first finger. It's relegated to the closet safe now.
    I hate my Ruger Super Blackhawk......doesn't fit, hate the revolver grip and have to hang on for dear life even firing specials. Very accurate but not a pleasant "range gun". I like letting other people shoot it just to see their faces. Most Cringe when the trigger is pulled. LOL!
    This just applies to shooting them and nothing else.

Mos Eisley

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I like my Glocks, but there weren't comfortable to me until I took a dremel tool to the silly finger grooves. Same goes for my daily carry Walther PPS. I've not found a pistol with finger grooves that was as comfortable to me as a pistol with a plain front strap. I'd love to see a Glock without finger grooves (Gen 2 style) with the Gen 4 improvements. Until then, dremel and sandpaper it is!

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Wow, Harry, I have no problem, with my SBH. How long is the barrel? I have a 7 1/2 inch, and specials, are CAKE. I reload, a load half way between top .44 spl., and low .44 mag. I really enjoy it !!!!! I have shot a Springfield XD in .40, and a S&W M&P, in .40, and just don't like the recoil in a "plastic" gun. I shoot my S&W .45 645, with no problem at all. Everyone is different, and we all have different likes. If we didn't then we would all have the same gun, car, and house .....:twocents:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Last week, my mother-in-law + her boyfriend came down to "help" with our new baby / spend time / etc.

HE brought two new pistols with him in the hopes we had a chance to try them out / target practice.

One was a new Gen 3 G22 and one was a new XDsc .40 S&W.

I took a M&P9fs.

My limited experience with the Glock platform has mainly been with the 9mm guns, namely a G17, a few G19s, plus a few mags through a G21, and one in .357 Sig (Don't know if it was a converted G22 or a G31)

Same with the XD. I used to have a 4" XD Service in 9mm, plus a handful of mags through some full sized .45 variants as well as some through two different XDsc9s.

You know what? After that outing, I now know that I absolutely hate shooting an XDsc in .40S&W - both with the extended mag and without.

And, surprisingly, the G22 wasn't all that comfortable to shoot either.

I have certainly been spoiled by the M&P pistol's feel and recoil characteristics - especially in 9mm. (Granted, I've never shot a M&P in anything but 9mm...)

I know it's smaller than the M&Pc, but I'd take a M&Pc over an XDsc any day of the week and twice on Sundays. :D

Other guns that I hate to shoot: Airweight J-frame (But I do to stay somewhat proficient), COP .357, S&W500 Mag

I shot an XD and RIA 1911 both at Applied Ballistics prior to buying my M&P. Both swore me off their respective brands. And for a long time I didn't understand the 1911 following, until I got my S&W 1911. Now I understand it.

KaBar716

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Id have to say, about the only gun I'd be ok never firing again is my buddys 500 s&w with his hot loads he got a hold of.

Anyway, just want to say hello, glad I found this site. Nice to see like minded people and not have to deal with the Trolls

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    anything from XD

Scandium framed j frames with magnum loads,

LW 1911's ( not painful, just not anything I enjoy)

anything from RUger,

SAA type revolvers,

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I love my Glocks but I do not love the G22, or the .40 round for that matter. I think the G23's I had shot softer than the 22 for some reason. Also dislike the J frame's. I haven't found a "mouse" gun I like yet either.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You need a 340 PD with Corbons :)

Uhh... No. :D

Something is definitely wrong here..

I shoot a glock 21 converted to .50 cal with only my weak hand. I could shoot the nuts off a squirrel from a football field or two away.

Hey, I didn't say that I wasn't accurate with those guns, just that I didn't like shooting them. And when I say "accuracy" - I can shoot the nuts off of a lady squirrel from 3 football fields away. So there. :rofl:

Also, a Kahr CW40 with some SD ammo(can't recall what) was no fun to shoot! Kicked hard and the gun has deep, sharp checkering! A mag or two was all you wanted!

Exactly my experience with my formerly owned CW-40. Though with range ammo it was "tolerable". The 155gr protection ammo I had - youch!

And I need to add in: Polish P-64 in 9x18. Horrible ergonomics to that pistol. Expected the backstrap / beavertail to cut me with every shot. Thankfully it didn't.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I agree with the airweight J frame. I also hate the S&W Bodyguard 380. Both bite and are no fun to shoot. I'd rather shoot 158gr 357 magnum loads in my SP101 than the lightest grain in either of those.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Never really have had a problem with recoil. You want a bigger, badder caliber? It's gonna bite, so get used to it. If you want to stay with 9mm because you shoot it well? Stay with it, lots of folks agree with you.
    I've shot up to 500 S&W in handguns and .458 Mag in rifles.....haven't had any problems, you just don't shoot those big boys as much. Once when I was younger, I did make the mistake of firing a bunch of the .44 Mag Federal Hydra-shocks out of a 4" Model 29 in one sitting...that one stung for a few days!

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    Kel Tec PF9, utter crap, multiple malfunctions.

No fun at all.

I really enjoy shooting my XD9 Subcompact, flawless.

Jimmy

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I agree with the airweight J frame.
    A police officer friend of mine gave me the "opportunity" to shoot some sort of airweight/featherweight backup piece that he had in .357 magnum. That was the opposite of fun.

I mean, I get that it was light enough that it didn't bother him on his ankle, but it packed a big enough punch to make a big hole (and one in the target). So, it isn't exactly supposed to be a "fun" gun.

But yeah, I'd just as soon not shoot one ever again.

Overall, though, I like trying new things. Some things I like better than others, but that's the only one I can really think of that was a truly unpleasant experience.

ETA: I really like shooting my Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine. :)

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    I'll add to the list... my S&W .357mag... it's like getting beaten in the hand with a baseball bat with every pull of the trigger...

357mag_zps9e984e41.jpg

Top Bottom