• Total voters

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I've recently been reading up on the topic of lights and hand guns. When I carry I always have my weapon on my right side and a tactical flashlight (EagleTac t100c2 mk2) in my left side pocket. However, recently I've been considering buying a holster that allows me to carry my handgun with my weapon light mounted (TLR-1s).

So I thought I'd create another poll and ask if you carry a light, and if you do:

- Is it a hand-held light or a weapons-mounted light?
    - What kind of light do you use?
    - If you carry with a weapon-mounted light what holsters do you use?
    - Do you have any positive or negative experiences with any of these methods?

Last edited:

spyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    I don't have a light on my carry pistol, I do have a weapon mounted light on my bedside pistol however.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    G17, TLR-1s, Safariland 6378-832 (832 is full size Glock plus TLR and a few other lights designation) with the level 3 thumbreak addon, current EDC flashlight is a Blackhawk Galdius Maximus, it goes through phases of some reliability issues so looking at moving to a Surefire G2X for EDC (or G2X Pro, undecided I don't like not getting to high instantly if I choose but wouldn't mind the low being an option for the EDC) and a 2nd G2X on the AR that needs a light.

In the summer that's OC only (which for me means I've also got a BUG on hand), in the winter it's readily CC-able with a loose fitting hoodie when I so choose. I'll be watching this as I've got a few bookmarked but been largely not committal on a hybrid (crossbreed style) tuckable IWB G17 with TLR-1s holster. For what it takes to carry, the time from items being on back order due to lower volume, there's no other effort or downside that I've seen in the last 10months of having the extra light available, and I can pop it off and use the TLR stand alone if the main EDC totally fails.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Handheld light since my G19 is a 2nd gen no rail and my Kimber Pro CDP is a pre series ll also w/o a rail.

Both my son and I have TLR1s lights on our ARs so when we step into the now and get railed pistols we do have lights for them.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I carry two handheld lights. And a pistol. I have a low lumen light for general stuff, and a higher lumen with strobe in my left pocket.

I am against a WML as it may force me to break one of the four rules (only point at something you are willing to destroy)

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I don't like a light on a gun (rifle, pistol, or shotgun) in home or out and about. The reason is that with a light ON your gun to see someone with that light and see them clearly you need to point your gun at said person. This could include a family member or a friend and with hand held light that is not necessary.:twocents:

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    I don't like a light on a gun (rifle, pistol, or shotgun) in home or out and about. The reason is that with a light ON your gun to see someone with that light and see them clearly you need to point your gun at said person. This could include a family member or a friend and with hand held light that is not necessary.:twocents:
    That's not necessarily true.You can use the splash of the light

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I prefer my gun and light to be seperate. You can actually use your light as a distraction, and I don't mean for blidning. You can hold it at different angles to confuse a threat.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    It's difficult to shoot 1-handed. Especially while holding a light in your other hand.

Anyone that has a weapon mounted light shoots more accurately, and normally will win the fight.

But, anyone that has a weapon mounted light SHOULD carry a seperate hand held light as well.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    EDC gun: no mounted light
    AR by the bed: mounted light

I like a separate light for EDC so if I need a light I can use it for other things. I don't want to pull my gun to look for my keys if I dropped them, or lost something in the car.

At home I use weapon mounted light that is bright enough to illuminate the room at low ready, so no muzzle pointed at friendlies.

Just my personal preference.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Neither my 1911 nor my revolver has a rail, so hand held for me. My Glock does have a rail, and I actually do own a light that will hook on their, but I've never been a fan. My Glock never fails to feed without the light, but it will fail to fully go back into battery sometimes with the light hooked on. I don't know if I'm changing my grip or if its the weight of the light on the front or what, but it hurts the reliability. Obviously a no-go.

Now, I DO like a light on a long gun. I have a nice forestock for my shotgun that lets me turn the light on and off without ever adjusting my grip, its plenty bright, and while I'm confident shooting a pistol one handed I can't say the same about a 12g.

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    I carry a 4sevens Quark Turbo (sometimes an Armytek Viking X when I can get away with it :D) in conjunction with my carry pistol but I would like to get a weapons-light holster for a gun so I can carry my TLR-1s on it as well

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    It depends for me. In summer days when there is a long length of daylight and I don't plan on being out long during midday I don't take it. If I know I am going to be out late I will carry a tactical flashlight that's 200+ lumens. I know someone is going to say that it could still be needed during the day (clearing a dark room etc) but that's just the way I do it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am odd man out. I usually carry a light and no handgun. I always carry a light.

If I have a gun on my person it does not have a weapon mounted light. I prefer a handheld light because it is useful for so many different things. A weapon mounted light makes sense from the standpoint of shooting but the tradeoff is the extra weight and bulk.

Currently both of the "bedside" pistols have mounted lights. But we keep the handhelds there as well. To be honest there is enough ambient light in my house I probably would not need a flashlight for identifying a target. But if I did they are available.

Top Bottom