• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sabreur

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Does anyone know what Indiana law says in regards to buying reloading supplies for handgun ammo? Does the 21 age limit apply like it does to buying handgun ammo? I searched the forums and the Great Intergoogles and couldn't find anything official. Since I am looking into buying a defensive handgun soon(ish) and I won't be 21 for almost two years, it may be worth it to just reload and avoid the hassle (and some of the expense, if ammo continues to go up, which I assume it will).

Much thanks from a clueless noob! :dunno:

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    First off, no PURCHASE of a handgun for you until you do turn 21. Someone may gift you one, but they are still responsible should you use it. ;)

As for the ammo/reloading question, um, hush. I don't think anyone is paying that close of attention downstate! ;)

Just kidding around there, no law about loading your own, that I know of.

A website to check out is handgunlaw.us. There is a ton of stuff there with links to state's laws that are available on the web, not just ours. Hope this helps.

Sabreur

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    First off, no PURCHASE of a handgun for you until you do turn 21. Someone may gift you one, but they are still responsible should you use it. ;)

As for the ammo/reloading question, um, hush. I don't think anyone is paying that close of attention downstate! ;)

Just kidding around there, no law about loading your own, that I know of.

A website to check out is handgunlaw.us. There is a ton of stuff there with links to state's laws that are available on the web, not just ours. Hope this helps.
    Well, I *can* buy a handgun from an individual, just not from an FFL. That's how I got the .22 revolver I have now. It's good to know our magnificent overlords have overlooked this. :rockwoot:

Thanks for the info!

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That's a good question and I don't know the answer. Also, even if there aren't any laws covering age, there could still be a " store policy " regarding age.

If you don't get a definite answer, I would call one of the several shops/stores in the area that carry reloading supplies. A couple of them are here and are site supporters.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    just. plain. not. true.

Had to do some checking. It is partially true, rim. There is no restriction on purchases of a handgun in Indiana law that would keep someone from purchasing a handgun through a private sale, regardless of age. I sit corrected.

Although, it is applicable for a dealer sale.

And, if you don't think that someone over 21 that sells or gives a handgun to someone that is under that age will be responsible for what they do with that firearm, um, I have a bridge to sell you in New York.

;)

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have been reloading since I was 16 or 17, over 30 years, and have ALWAYS purchased my own supplies, no signing, or id or nuthin .....

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Had to do some checking. It is partially true, rim. There is no restriction on purchases of a handgun in Indiana law that would keep someone from purchasing a handgun through a private sale, regardless of age. I sit corrected.

Although, it is applicable for a dealer sale.

And, if you don't think that someone over 21 that sells or gives a handgun to someone that is under that age will be responsible for what they do with that firearm, um, I have a bridge to sell you in New York.

;)

Cite applicable code or case law indicating civil or criminal responsibility.

Which bridge? I've always been partial to the Tri-borough.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Cite applicable code or case law indicating civil or criminal responsibility.

Which bridge? I've always been partial to the Tri-borough.

Well, not sure it exists BUT that doesn't mean you want to be the test case either! ;)

It hasn't kept me from doing it, let me make that clear. Everyone of my 5 kids has carried a sidearm as soon as they turned 18 and got a permit. They were all gifted to them too! ;) Even the 3 girls.

It is a ritual in our family, turn 18, on that day you take the trip to the cop shop and apply. Had a funny thing happen when son #1 went. They refused to take his paperwork! I said: Turn around, we are going back in there. They had no right, no case law, no legal footing to stand on but it didn't stop them from trying to buffalo a fine upstanding young man into believing that he couldn't make the app.

We got things straightened out, the wife got cussed at by the Chief a few days later, but they gave him the paperwork.

Sorry, I just sold the one in New York BUT, you are in luck, I have that one in Kalifornia left. It is named for some kind of precious metal, the name escapes me right now. ;)

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Unfortunately, since the world has gotten so paranoid lately, you must be 21 to purchase powder at most stores. Many of the major retailers will either card you or photocopy your license.

Dumb in my opinion.

Sabreur

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Unfortunately, since the world has gotten so paranoid lately, you must be 21 to purchase powder at most stores. Many of the major retailers will either card you or photocopy your license.

Dumb in my opinion.
    Hmmmm...that's a drag. One of the biggest reasons I'm interested in reloading is that I would be able to get ammo for a defensive ammo without having to wait another two years. I guess I'll just have to ask around locally. Although, Freedom Firearms is probably the only place that carries powder. I was actually out there today and forgot to ask. :rolleyes:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Hmmmm...that's a drag. One of the biggest reasons I'm interested in reloading is that I would be able to get ammo for a defensive ammo without having to wait another two years. I guess I'll just have to ask around locally. Although, Freedom Firearms is probably the only place that carries powder. I was actually out there today and forgot to ask. :rolleyes:

While I don't know what the local shops policies are, there are many in he area that carry powder besides Freedom Arms. A quick call to any of them could possibly save you a trip.

Hillside shooting in Roanoke
    21st Century in Bluffton
    Tomlinson's in Busco
    Sniper Co ( I think )
    Gander Mountain
    Ft. Wayne gunshow this weekend

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    just thinking out loud here... If someone were to buy powder for Sabreur with his money then give it to him, would it be the same as buying a firearm with his own money for him?

Sabreur

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    While I don't know what the local shops policies are, there are many in he area that carry powder besides Freedom Arms. A quick call to any of them could possibly save you a trip.

Hillside shooting in Roanoke
    21st Century in Bluffton
    Tomlinson's in Busco
    Sniper Co ( I think )
    Gander Mountain
    Ft. Wayne gunshow this weekend
    Thanks, I'll check 'em out!

just thinking out loud here... If someone were to buy powder for Sabreur with his money then give it to him, would it be the same as buying a firearm with his own money for him?
    Mgderf is correct, that would be illegal unfortunately. Thanks for the idea though.

Want2ShootMore

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Marion
    Yes! And it's called a straw purchase

Yes, if it is a firearm. He is talking about powder. Unless there is a law in place that says you cannot buy powder until age 21 then no company policy is going to get you arrested for buying for someone under age.

From my understanding from previous posts, "some companies" don't let you purchase powder if you are under 21.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Since I am looking into buying a defensive handgun soon(ish) and I won't be 21 for almost two years, it may be worth it to just reload and avoid the hassle (and some of the expense, if ammo continues to go up, which I assume it will).

Much thanks from a clueless noob! :dunno:

Hmmmm...that's a drag. One of the biggest reasons I'm interested in reloading is that I would be able to get ammo for a defensive ammo without having to wait another two years.:

Well, I won't be so rough as to agree with you about being a clueless noob... I will say this though... If you are a noob to reloading and also considering reloading to squirt any possible laws, I would not do it to produce your SD carry ammo !

If you want to learn to reload for your target needs, GREAT ! Put that idea on the back burner about loading your SD ammo though until you have a little experience loading and understand what the advantages and disadvantages could be.

This thread is confusing, along with a similiar thread about legality of buying handgun ammo ! I still don't understand whether OP is running into particular " store policies " or possible State or Fed laws.

Top Bottom