• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dingobox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I was curious how this works I've seen different answers all over and I haven't really gotten a solid answer so hopefully someone here can clarify.

Can someone age 18 - 20 legally purchase a handgun in a private sale assuming both parties are residents in the state of Indiana?

Would the purchasing individual having their LTCH have any difference since it can be obtained at 18?

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    You can own a handgun in this state at 18 with no LTCH. And can buy it in a private sale. LTCH is just to carry it, you can have it in your home,carry on your property and a few other exeptions without a license.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    You can own a handgun in this state at 18 with no LTCH. And can buy it in a private sale. LTCH is just to carry it, you can have it in your home,carry on your property and a few other exeptions without a license.

Yep. You can purchase from a private party or have it gifted to you. If you do purchase/have one gifted to you and you do not have your LTCH it must be transported in a case and either in the trunk or if a vehicle without a trunk as far away from the passenger compartment as possible.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...Would the purchasing individual having their LTCH have any difference since it can be obtained at 18?

Yes, since some private sellers prefer to see one's LTCH as an indicator of one's proper personhood.

But it's not required for the sale from a strictly legal perspective (as far as I know).

There's no reason not to get your LTCH if you don't have it yet.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    The only difference 18-20 makes is that you can not buy retail from an FFL due to federal law. As noted above, you can still gain possession by private sale or gift. All other laws still apply at that age.

If this seems discriminatory, then you understand properly.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Some private sellers like to see LTCH so I would get one first then buy the gun. Then when you get the gun, you can carry as soon as your comfortable with it.:twocents:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    You can buy a gun but you can't go buy ammo for it at the store, that's the stupid part. Handgun at least.

Unless you tell them you have a long gun that fires that same ammo. A Kriss fires .45ACP. A Sub2000 fires either .40 or 9mm. Lots of guns fire .22LR. I don't know of a long gun that fires .380, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to name one.

You're right, though, legally. An under-21 cannot lawfully buy handgun ammo at the store.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Unless you tell them you have a long gun that fires that same ammo. A Kriss fires .45ACP. A Sub2000 fires either .40 or 9mm. Lots of guns fire .22LR. I don't know of a long gun that fires .380, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to name one.

You're right, though, legally. An under-21 cannot lawfully buy handgun ammo at the store.

This is what I always did. It wasn't handgun ammo, just ammo.

Top Bottom