• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I may be mistaken but I didn't think you could legally purchase a firearm from anyone even in a private sale unless you're twenty one? I know you can get your ltch but I thought your legal guardian had to purchase the firearm for you technically, and "gift" it to you?

When you're 18 you no longer have a legal guardian.:)

ryang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Then there is the gray area of rounds that can be shot out of a rifle and a handgun...like many of them. As someone under 21 I have purchased 9mm before by simply saying it is for a rifle (some of it actually was)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Indiana law requires one to be 18 for his or her LTCH.

I had mine in high school. I carried pistols which my father had purchased for me. Before I was 18 I could only carry on family property.

Then I turned 21 and the steel and polymer gravy train stopped.:D

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    If they wouldn't sell your son .22s then he needed to speak to the manager. It is NOT 21 to buy handgun ammunition, it is 21 to buy ammunition for USE in a handgun. If they can be used in BOTH, then you have to tell them it is for use in a rifle. Almost every store will give you .22, but not everyone will give you 9mm, etc. Dicks will say no at first, but they will fold. If the manager doesn't sell you it, you have to contact the company directly, through their 1-800 number, but you will have to pound sand if they still don't do it.

AFAIK it is also illegal to buy .410 from a store with the intent to use it in a Taurus Judge if you are under 21. But who can prove that... It's silly.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If they wouldn't sell your son .22s then he needed to speak to the manager. It is NOT 21 to buy handgun ammunition, it is 21 to buy ammunition for USE in a handgun. If they can be used in BOTH, then you have to tell them it is for use in a rifle. Almost every store will give you .22, but not everyone will give you 9mm, etc. Dicks will say no at first, but they will fold. If the manager doesn't sell you it, you have to contact the company directly, through their 1-800 number, but you will have to pound sand if they still don't do it.

AFAIK it is also illegal to buy .410 from a store with the intent to use it in a Taurus Judge if you are under 21. But who can prove that... It's silly.

Like most gun laws turn out to be.
    For instance carrying while a passenger and dropping off kid at school is bad.
    But carrying while driving and dropping off kid at school is ok.

Gun free zone for a property used for a school event. Silly.
    The zoo????
    A baseball field???
    SILLY>

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    What most have said here 18 for ltc and 21 to buy. It should be like the drinking age 21 to do both. Lyc and purchase a gun or 18 whichever.

It already is 18 for license and to purchase. Only a few states have raised that age.

The Federal 21 restriction for selling handguns and ammo for handguns is upon FFLs only, not buyers.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    What most have said here 18 for ltc and 21 to buy. It should be like the drinking age 21 to do both. Lyc and purchase a gun or 18 whichever.
    Disagree. It should be up to the parent to decide when someone under 18 may exercise adult rights and be responsible for his/her actions. It should be that when you are an adult, you are entitled to exercise those rights and responsibilities appertaining to adults, without exception.

If I am an adult, I am responsible for my actions. Why are my rights restricted under color of law until I'm an "adult plus" (my term)?

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    It already is 18 for license and to purchase. Only a few states have raised that age.

The Federal 21 restriction for selling handguns and ammo for handguns is upon FFLs only, not buyers.

I could be mistaken, but other than for revolvers, is there any ammo that is *only* used in handguns? I know the 10/22 shoots .22LR, the Sub2000 shoots 9mm and .40, and the Tommy Gun and KRISS (just the first examples to come to mind) shoot .45ACP. I know there are many rounds for rifle that are exclusively long gun ammo, but I don't think the reverse is true any more (again, other than for use in revolvers; I don't know of any that shoot .38sp or .41, for example)

Blessings,
    Bill

tylerr23

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Wabash Indiana
    im 19 and just received my lifetime permit to carry. im a law abiding citizen no juvenile delinquencies or misdemeanors or felonies. high school graduate college student. Apparently im irresponsible because i open carried? excuse me but its my right to carry how i want. As well as where i want (as long as its not illegal or prohibited). my asst manager at work decided to call me irresponsible and a child because i open carried and someone told him about. shame on him i guess

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    im 19 and just received my lifetime permit to carry. im a law abiding citizen no juvenile delinquencies or misdemeanors or felonies. high school graduate college student. Apparently im irresponsible because i open carried? excuse me but its my right to carry how i want. As well as where i want (as long as its not illegal or prohibited). my asst manager at work decided to call me irresponsible and a child because i open carried and someone told him about. shame on him i guess

Well, that's something you have to be ready for.
    Questions about why you do.
    If you think you're a hero.
    That a 5 year old girl can take it from you.
    etc
    etc

Just be responsible. Know the rules. Keep calm. And have responses ready for every occasion.
    Ask your boss why obeying the law is irresponsible.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Watch soon they'll raise the age to 26 since that is what is considered a "child" nowdays ...

Yup.

tumblr_mf9kely46G1rq40r4o1_1280.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Having a job does not make you mature. It makes you employed..

And being mature helps you show up to that job.
    Have seen quite a few guys show up to the steel mill. Good pay. Good benefits.
    But they have a hard time showing up for their schedule. Which hurts other workers that get held over on the job.

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    I could be mistaken, but other than for revolvers, is there any ammo that is *only* used in handguns? I know the 10/22 shoots .22LR, the Sub2000 shoots 9mm and .40, and the Tommy Gun and KRISS (just the first examples to come to mind) shoot .45ACP. I know there are many rounds for rifle that are exclusively long gun ammo, but I don't think the reverse is true any more (again, other than for use in revolvers; I don't know of any that shoot .38sp or .41, for example)

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill,

Marlin (old Marlin before the takeover) made 1894 leverguns chambered for both of the calibers that you mentioned.... :) HTH :twocents:

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

Top Bottom