Handgun Instruction for my wife and I.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheBigLebowski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not really sure what I need here, so I'll just throw out the scenario and perhaps a more learned advisor will comment.

Myself, I grew up around long guns. We shot trap and hunted. My first real experience with handguns in the military when I was required to qualify and certify with small arms. We trained and carried 38 and 45 caliber weapons. I shot yearly to remain current. During peacetime, I was pretty much a desk jockey but my war time duties were Disaster Preparedness and I was also a classified cargo carrier. I never owned a handgun until a couple of years ago when my father gave me a Glock 19 as I was doing a lot of motorcycle riding and camping in remote locations. I picked up my conceal carry permit. Since then I've bought a couple more ruger handguns. I really enjoy shooting but have never done anything very serious.

My wife had never really even shot a gun till about a month ago. My daughter and I were shooting the Mark III at my back yard targets and my wife asked if she could try. Since then she has just about shot me out of 22LR ammo.......seriously. I told her that if she is going to keep shooting this volume then she has to 1) start hunting for 22 ammo with me or 2) consider switching to the 9mm because that ammo is at least a little more available. But that being said she is doing really well and seems to like it a lot too. She says she would like to learn how to shoot better.

So, I have decided that someone better than me could help her out a lot more and faster as well. I think if she keeps improving she will want to start shooting more. But she hasn't put a shot through the 9 yet and seems pretty intimidated by it.

For me, I'm just not getting any better........and if you're not very good and not improving it kind of gets frustrating. I think I would like to someday shoot steel matches and possibly USPSA type shoots........for fun you know.

Should we look for individual instruction or could we do it together? Any thoughts from husbands whose wife's got in to shooting would be appreciated. She seems to really enjoy this so I would like to put us both in a situation so we could get better. AND, if she gets into shooting then I expect there will be fewer questions about gun and ammo purchases when she opens the bank statement too........just sayin'

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    First, congrats on getting your family shooting! You and your wife, I think, should get instruction together. ACT offers instruction for couples and small groups and our instructors are adept and handling varying levels of ability. PM or email me sometime.

Top Bottom