• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I would get her a gun that is the same height and weight that she is ...jk...I would get her a .380 or 38 revolver to start with. Those do not have much recoil. I would let her shoot a 22 to start with to get used to handling a guns....what kind of guns do you have right now?
    My wife has finally came on board and is wanting to get her Lifetime. What handgun should we look at for her? She is only 5'3 and 105lbs

Hales718

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Westfield, IN
    By the way...I'm looking at also getting another Glock for myself that is easier to conceal. I have been looking into either the Glock 27 to stick with the .40 or should I go with the Glock 26 to give me both a .40 and a 9mm

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    because she needs to be comfortable with whatever she is getting....you should look into one of the double action sig sauer 380's for her depending on what your budget is. Those have very manageable recoil and a slim design to fit small hands....
    Isn't the wife always the one wanting to make the decisions. j/k My wife wouldn't even know where to start... Why should she make the decision??

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Isn't the wife always the one wanting to make the decisions. j/k My wife wouldn't even know where to start... Why should she make the decision??

Because it's her gun, let her pick it out, take your wife to the gun store and let her handle guns, try to find a way to get her some trigger time with guns that feel good in her hands

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Because it's her gun, let her pick it out, take your wife to the gun store and let her handle guns, try to find a way to get her some trigger time with guns that feel good in her hands

:+1::+1::+1:

Does she have any experience shooting handguns? You say she finally came on board, was she against guns before or just did not care to own one? Just curious because you want to make sure her first shooting experiences are positive so she is not scared away. Try to get her to handle as many as she can and if at all possible to get some trigger time in as well and then let her make the choice. Good luck and congrats on the wife getting into personal protection! :yesway:

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I understand why you would want a handgun for your wife, they can be a handful sometimes, but that is no reason to want to trade away your wife for a handgun. And I know in the long run the handgun will cost you less money, but with the current price on ammo, the Wife might be cheaper right now, stick with her.

I hope you find this funny.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Buy your wife a gun you think she should have and all your doing is buying yourself a gun ....she won't shoot it ..(not that this is a bad thing )

take her to a gun shop (like were I work ) let her handle guns ask for help on picking her one out , let HER speak with the salesman
    Let the salesman help her .

If she makes the decision she will like the handgun and she will use it .

Good luck :ingo::patriot:

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    sure enough she will pick the dang pink one. i recomend kahr pm9 for the lady or a small 38 special. with a little practice the kahr is great or if she is really not to big on guns then a 38 is much easier. my wife carries either one on a regular basis and is less than a 100 lbs and 4 11 and 3/4 of a inch. she will be mad at me if i don't list the 3/4 inch.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Remember... buying a good shootin' gun and a good carry gun aren't necessarily the same thing. Some of the smaller grip guns that may feel good aren't much fun to shoot.

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    My wife doesn't carry, but she's become very comfortable with the 38 revolver. Straight forward to use, reliable, and less recoil. Admittedly she needs more range time, but I'm confident she is not afraid to pick it up if needed. Confidence is everything...

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    My wife got the LCP because it is 'cute'.:):

She actually did shoot quite a few guns and felt the LCP would fit the way she intended to carry (size, weight, thin-ness). Though it's not the most pleasant gun to shoot, it should work for the purpose. That, and she kept going back to the cute thing.

Specialized

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 97.8%
    87   2   1
    Jan 26, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Okay, here's what I think: first, I'd get her a semi-auto with a little bit of heft to it, but not heavy. Semi-autos absorb some of the recoil for her, can be found in about any grip size, and in some cases can even be customized to a degree with different back straps, side panels, etc. Next, the heft is also for recoil management. If she wants a gun that is small, manageable, and doesn't weigh a ton, but will fit her hand, it will likely be a single-stack like a Kahr 9mm or .380, or a Sig P290, on up to even a Sig P239 or an HK P2000sk in 9mm. Smaller, more manageable grips but with enough weight and size to be controllable. The smallest Glocks would be good candidates, as well as the subcompact M&P9. Those are the ones I have experience with.

I've heard that the Springfield EMP-9 is a good choice as well, but haven't shot one. I will say this: any gun that "isn't much fun" to shoot for a person, man OR woman, will likely not see much practice, and won't be a good gun if a problem arises. I've seen very petite women handle some pretty big guns and love it, and I've watched some pretty big burly guys get squirrelly over the recoil on some pretty tame guns. It has more to do with the fit of the gun to them (grip size & ergonomics, trigger reach/geometry/pull, concealability, etc) than much else. Just my experience. Hope this helps -- good luck!

Specialized

Top Bottom