• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I work with a guy who wants to buy a handgun. After showing him the calibers that are legal to hunt with he decided on .357 Mag. He also wants to have the gun for home protection. Something his wife could use as well.
    With a budget of around $600 I'm asking for suggestions. Myself I would to have different guns for each use but this is his first handgun and he wants it to do both for him. He might even want to carry it at some point. Thanks in advance.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    4" is minimum legal length for hunting. 6" would be better for hunting.

Ruger GP100 was my first though too. 4" and 6" are available, a blued gun will come in under his price.

A used Smith and Wesson Model 19 would come in that price range too, about $350-$450

A used Ruger Security Six (not Speed Six or Service Six, no adjustable sights) also came in 4" and 6" and you can find them for $250-$400.

Also there are .357/9mm convertible Blackhawks and .45Colt/45ACP convertibles, single action is preferred by many for hunting, but I wouldn't want a single action for home defense. I don't know whether you can get a .357 Blackhawk that will take scope mounts, I know there is a Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag that does.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I am going out with a S&W 629 .44 Mag in 6.5" (I would prefer 8"). I decided that I will use a Bushnell Trophy 1x28 Red-Dot with Red/Green and 4 reticules. I can hit very well with irons, but not in low light. The scope will both increase my range and improve my hit accuracy for more humane kill. The mount and scope came to about $125. Factor that in if he wants optics.

The problem here is that each will be a compromise. I can see the same pistol from home defense and carry. It would be a 4" barrel .357 loaded in 38 +P or .357. I would never try to take deer with a 4" barrel. Especially with a .357. I just don't think .357 enough gun for a humane kill unless you have 6" or better 8" pistol. These will be hard to conceal carry, almost impossible.

Has his wife shot a .357 with 38 +P in it? Can she handle the recoil? Otherwise, he will need yet another gun for home defense and his hunting gun could be something more matched to the task of taking deer.

Unless it HAS to be a handgun, I would also consider a Marlin 1894 lever gun in .357. These can be had for under $500 and propel the bullet much faster than from a pistol, making it a more powerful deer round. The Marlin would be great for home defense and stores more than 6 rounds (10 I think), with the option to top off at any time similar to a shot gun.

I have to side with you about the gun that will do it all, will rarely do it all well. Or even good.

The other factor here is handgun hunting is hard compared to shotgun or rifle. If this is his first handgun, he had plenty of practice before he should attempt it. He also needs to understand that he is hunting for more bow ranges, than shotgun or rifle ranges. More so with a .357 instead of bigger handgun. There are times that you need to let the deer walk. More times than if you hunt with a shotgun or rifle.

Last edited:

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    As a point of information, I just put my 6" GP-100 stainless on consignment with Beach Grove Guns. It is priced well in his price range. Has Williams Fire Sights F&R (fiber optic) Badger rosewood grips/Houge mono-grips and stock grips. Slicked up trigger and all the stock springs and sights. It was my bowling pin gun and it's a tack driver.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    i think he should go 6". I have a 4" GP100 and you have to work to get groups that i would consider good enough for hunting. I think a 6" would help accuracy a lot and would still be acceptable for in home defence. The 6" could ease recoil and make it much easier on the Mrs. too.

My recomendation is a S&W 686 6", or GP100 6", if he likes it better.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Jus throwing this out there, especially since I don't hunt... How about a 10mm Glock 20?

A good 10mm load from Doubletap ammo packs a serious punch. And you can pick up the Glock for about $525.

Just a thought.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    the difference between a 4" and 6" is NOT accuracy, but velocity. the increased sight radius and muzzle heavy feel contribute to consistency (small groups) but not accuracy. that being said, pretty much any medium frame .357 in either barrel length would be fine. adjustable sights would be a plus as would reasonable grips. the dan wesson with the extra barrels would be a good choice, but the triggers are less than optimum.

the medium frame .357 is one of the most versatile guns one can acquire.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you can find one, a S&W 610 10mm, the 6.5" version. 10mm is plenty to hunt with, just ask Ted. :D COR-BON loads both 180s and 200s for their hunting line.

The handy side about this gun is that can also shoot 40 S&W rounds, and would make a decent "game" gun for USPSA Revolver division.

I had one of the first run, 5" 610s and sold it a couple of years ago. Kicking myself in the butt over that decision.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I agree the medium frame (S&W L frame or GP Ruger) in .357 is very versital. K frame Smiths are nice too but don't hold up well to a steady diet of heavy loads. Something that is good for an everyday carry gun will not be optimum for hunting and target. A hunting gun won't make a good carry gun. For general (non concealled carry) use, it's hard to beat a 6" with a heavy barrel. Full house 357 for humting, 38+P for defense and 38 SPL for target. You get better because you always use the same gun. "Beware of the guy with only 1 gun. He probably knows how to use it well."

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Jus throwing this out there, especially since I don't hunt... How about a 10mm Glock 20?

A good 10mm load from Doubletap ammo packs a serious punch. And you can pick up the Glock for about $525.

Just a thought.

NOT LEGAL for hunting in IN

Shotguns, handguns, rifles with pistol cartridges, muzzleloading long guns and muzzleloading handguns are legal during the firearms season.

Handguns
    Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long.
    [FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings] [/FONT][/FONT]Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted.

[FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings] [/FONT]
    [/FONT]Handguns are not permitted on any military areas.

Some types of handgun cartridges legal for deer hunting include:
    .357 Magnum
    .41 Magnum
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Special
    .45 Colt
    .45 Long Colt
    .45 Winchester Magnum
    .35 Remington
    .357 Herrett.

Some illegal handgun cartridges for deer hunting are 38 Special, 38 Smith and Wesson, 38 Colt New Police, 38/200, 38 Long Colt, 38 Super, 38 ACP, 38 Colt Auto, 45 ACP, 45 Automatic and 45 Auto Rim. All 25/20, 32/20 and 30 carbine ammunition is prohibited also.

Last edited:

SKRSR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    I'll vote with VN Vet. I've shot deer with a 44mag both in M29 and contender, with a 35 Rem in XP-100 and 3 that I was NOT HAPPY WITH using a Colt Hunter Python .357 and scope, 140 grain HP Rem bullets All three DIED and were collected but two of them DIDNT EVEN ACT SHOT, just walked off, very little blood trail and all double lung broadside. I was NON plussed so to speak........but sold the Python and went back to the M29.

Like the 410 (now legal, sigh) they WORK but mine were UNDER 50 yards and if I wouldnt have followed two for 100 yards.....I wouldnt have thought I hit them. (its difficult for me to admit I miss LOL)
    again
    Just MY opinion. I'm sure they work fine for some, I just like a bit more UMMMPHH! to feel secure of a human and QUICK deer down.

Steve

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    NOT LEGAL for hunting in IN

I am not sure I understand the basis for this statement. If I follow correctly, I thought your point was that 10 mm is not legal for hunting in Indiana. I questioned the same thing, but the requirements of at least .243 x 1.16 are fulfilled by the 10mm. 10 mm is 1.26 inches long.

Am I missing a different point you were making?

Regards,
    Josh

Top Bottom