• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Tons? I dunno, my mom (60-ish) carries a S&W .357 Snubnose. She's gotten really good at single-action shooting, since she's not able to pull the trigger through for a double-action shot.

My wife (bless her heart) carries a Hi-Point 9mm. Not because it's all we can afford, mind you - because she's tried every handgun at every range within a hundred miles (and plenty more outside) and she likes it best.

Assuming this handgun would be carried for defensive purposes, I'd stick with a decent caliber and let her try out all kinds of things to see what she likes best. I have a friend who's 5'4'' about 120lbs and she carries a 1911. It's all in what you like and can handle safely..

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    My wife's choice is a 1911. She is trying to choose something smaller and lighter for when that is a bit much to hide, but she still prefers the 1911. She's leaning hard toward the Ruger LCP with the rasberry frame. She really wants a Sig P238, but that's a bit rich for us right now :(

I don't recommend snubby revolvers, or very small semi-auto pocket guns for an inexperienced shooter. They are hard to shoot well, and some people find them unpleasant to shoot, especially new shooters. Even the very small .380s, like the Ruger LCP, is unpleasant to some people.

That said, my wife's choice for her first gun was a Taurus 85UL. I warned her about the down side, but she liked the size and weight, and said she was willing to put the work into mastering it. She did so, but she already had a firm grounding in basic marksmanship with .22 pistols, and some experience with the steel Rossi 6 shot .38 snub I had at the time.

apovinelli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Indy
    My wife carries the bersa 380 thunder and she loves it. it is small, compact and very smooth.
    14jcn43.jpg

Last edited:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    i would have her get some hands on experience first and see what she likes. smaller isnt necessarily better. the smaller the gun usually the more felt recoil. i know alot of people that cant rack the slide on a semiauto. i would let her try a few revolvers and a few semiautos and let her decide. she is the one that will be carrying it so she needs to pick it out. good luck with your decision.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    One gun I will suggest trying out is a Ruger SP101 with a 3" barrel. The gun weighs enough to dampen recoil quite nicely, especially with the good grips it comes with. The 3" barrel is markedly easier to shoot well with than a 2" snubby, and the gun is actually a whole buttload of fun to shoot with .38s and even .38 +Ps. It's weight and size takes it out of the "pocket gun" category, IMHO, but it's still a very compact gun, very easy and pleasant to carry and conceal.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    i would have her get some hands on experience first and see what she likes. smaller isnt necessarily better. the smaller the gun usually the more felt recoil. i know alot of people that cant rack the slide on a semiauto. i would let her try a few revolvers and a few semiautos and let her decide. she is the one that will be carrying it so she needs to pick it out. good luck with your decision.

+1000

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    If anyone hasn't posted it, I will:

The best part about "gun shopping" is just that. Let her make the choice, hopefully you can find a range/shop that rents weapons and let her try them out for herself.

It certainly helps if she has confidence in the weapon and has some confidence in her ability to manipulate it.

Ain't gun shopping fun???

Lanser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Evansville
    The Walther PPS seems like a good one. Small, slim, light, interchangable backstraps, and comfortable and easy to shoot, and all that while chambered for 9mm (or .40).

Glock 26, S&W M&P 9c, SR9c (if available yet), and maybe XDsc, are all a little bulkier, but are still small and light and are great options.

muttdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Michigan City In
    I carry a 1911 also but just bought a LCR Ruger as a boot gun and it is very managable excellant for a Lady's carry gun, so would a Millenium in 40 or 9 I have both and are also very nice

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Choose wisely

Smaller is not always a good thing. Little guns usually have a tremendous felt recoil. I make it a practice not to bash brands or models, but I would not go smaller than a 9mm.

.380 is just not enough for most cases.

The smaller the gun is the harder it is too shoot well, and in a critical momment shooting well is going to be the main thing.

Get multiple guns in her hand before buying anything.

Our (ACT) BP 100 course on April 3, 2010 would be a good place to do this for a real reasonable price. Glocks, XDm, M&P, 1911 all in 9mm to be tested with your factory ammo.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    If anyone hasn't posted it, I will:

The best part about "gun shopping" is just that. Let her make the choice, hopefully you can find a range/shop that rents weapons and let her try them out for herself.

It certainly helps if she has confidence in the weapon and has some confidence in her ability to manipulate it.

Ain't gun shopping fun???
    +1

I took my wife gun shopping, and we looked a variety of smaller handguns. A few Kel-Tecs, some smaller Taurus and Walther PPK styles and so on. My wife had zero firearm experience, so was very concerned about having to remember how to rack the slide if there was a jam, how to turn the safety off if the gun had one, etc.

We ended up getting her a Taurus 85 ultralite in .38spl. Small and compact, light weight, and also not to terrible recoil. Plus, she felt much more confident with the revolver. No slides, safeties, or any of that. Just point and click.

I would suggest that if you have a few different handguns in your collection, or access to a few buddies with some different types, that you let her try them if possible. It is one thing to feel good dry firing, and another to actuall have rounds going down range.

My wife has actually begun carrying her .38 pretty regularly now, and feels more and more confident day by day. Now I just need to get her out to practice with me more often. :D

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I saw a Taurus Mod 85 on here for sale the last day or so. That is a perfect ladies gun. Its small, lightwieght, simple to use and the recoil is tolerable. She can fire with one hand if needed even from a purse or coat pocket in a pinch

Top Bottom