• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • needmoney

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    So I just purchased a Bushmaster Flattop Carbon-15 AR. I have shot them before, and found one online new for a great price so I decided to pick it up since I've had AR fever for the past 3 months or so. Now the only thing that really bugs me about this particular model is the handguards. I would like to mount a system that would allow for a foregrip to be mounted as well.

Now I did do some searching but couldn't come up with the information I was looking for, so an answer to either (or both :)) of these questions would be MUCH appreciated.

1. What is a good handguard/rail system that would allow for mounting of a foregrip?

2. How do you determine what type of handguard system can be mounted on a particular AR system?

Thanks!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    2. How do you determine what type of handguard system can be mounted on a particular AR system?

Thanks!

Is this the rifle model (vs pistol) that has the the standard AR handguard, like this one pictured?

90689-1.jpg

If so, then I believe you can use any standard AR handguard or rail on the market.

1. What is a good handguard/rail system that would allow for mounting of a foregrip?

Because using a VFG will put torque on what its bolted to, I personally prefer a free-floating rail. In this category many options exist, priced from $150-$350.

If free-floating isn't an issue but you still wanted a rail, you can find drop-in units from $79-$200.

Or for a budget option the Magpul MOE handguard is lightweight and still very configurable.

needmoney

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    that'd be the one, and thanks for the reply sir.

I was looking at the Bushmaster Modular Accessory System Integral Flat-top Forend:
    rifle.jpg

but apparently requires major disassembly of the rifle and is rather pricey, but boy do I like that system. I think I'm gonna stick with the magpul for right now until I figure out exactly what route I want to go with the system. Will the magpul grips accept most types of grips?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I was looking at the Bushmaster Modular Accessory System Integral Flat-top Forend:

That looks like a YHM rail. They have one that will fit your rifle, but it won't be as long because you have a carbine-length gas system and a front sight base. The 7" "carbine" version is the one you'd want.

YHM Carbine 2 Piece Rail

535.jpg

Installation for you would be simple, take about 20 minutes, a screwdriver, and a second set of hands.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Did you mean to simply re-say what you wrote in your previous post?

As to your question about the Mapgul MOE handguard, it can accept ANY VFG if you mount a section of rail onto the handguard, or Magpul makes a proprietary VFG called the MVG that will bolt directly to the handguard without having to use a rail section.

Top Bottom