• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    And no, it wasn't a GLOCK! ;)

....but your close.

Purchased a new AR in the fairly recent past, chambered in 40S&W and it accepts Glock magazines. Scared the living :poop: out of me, stung my hand pretty good, but no real injuries. (Very grateful for that.) Left some serious powder residue on my hand. Found out later it was a squib load issue, and likely a weak casing also. (Just my guesstimates.)

Full range report with pics can be found here:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ed_in_40s_and_w_pic_intensive.html#post917532

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I read the other post...definitely made me extra EXTRA careful tonight as I was loading up some 9mm for this weekend. I actually threw out a few cases that were probably ok, but just "looked funny" just in case.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    looks like your so called squib was actually the round from the casing that exploded, so no squib...... by the amount of bullet setback you have i would try some more krimp.... and possibly polish the feed ramp and try and open up the feed lips just a hair..

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    looks like your so called squib was actually the round from the casing that exploded, so no squib...... by the amount of bullet setback you have i would try some more krimp.... and possibly polish the feed ramp and try and open up the feed lips just a hair..

Yeah, after talking through it with several folks on here and the progression of events, I believe you are correct that the round from the exploded casing was the stuck round...so no squib. It just took me a while to put the pieces together.

The ammo was not my reloads. It was some factory/commercial bulk stuff. The rest of the rounds seem to have enough crimp, and I can't get them to setback with my hands.

But yes, I think a feed ramp polish and some adjustments are certainly in order.

Thanks!!

dkangel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Thats why I listen to every shot. So hopefully I can detect if I might have a squib. Of course this doesnt work so well when I am rapid firing.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'm glad you are ok!!!

If you are seeing setback like that, stop shooting!!! I see you've already decided it wasn't a squib. I don't think so either. Setback like that drastically increases pressure. It was only a matter of time till one case just wasn't strong enough to contain.

I am, however, impressed that ANY cases were. What brand of brass was that?

Top Bottom