• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    First off, last deer season, I harvested a nice 8 pointer, & my wife havested a nice 8 pointer the following weekend. ...We were all leagal,
    ( even tho i have written permission to reduce the deer population on our farm anytime my family deems it necesary to save our crops)
    I was working at my quarry today when an SUV pulled in, 2 DNR officers, passenger stayed in the vehicle driver aproached me, he asked if i was SO & SO i said yes, he told me his name & said most people called him Spanky. I said OK.
    He proceeded on a gigantic fishing expedition, He said, "i want to talk to you about your wife" I said" what the sam hell u talkin about". Make a long story short...... he asked if i shot her buck & had her tag it??? This freakin pissed me off & i let him know it. I told him it was a huge pile of BS, literally. I proceeded to explain to him that him coming to my home\place of buisness & acusing me & my wife of such a deal when we jumped thru all the leagal hoops to do it rite was offensive, & the fact that just because it was my wifes first deer & it was an 8 pointer dorsnt mean we are poaching. Anyway, im still pretty heated about the whole thing. He kinda back pedaled at the end & told me out of all the people he has questioned this week he believed my story.(WELL HOWDY DOODY) & that i was either a really good liar or i was telling the truth .Anydamnway, i was pretty offended by the whole thing. I called my ol lady & told her & she got pissed & called him to give her her opinion on the whole thing. What a deal.
    Obviously ive pissed someone off in this little one horse town, cause for the life of me I cant see how a DNR would question me about something like this without someone saying I partook in such an activity:xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad:

Your thoughts

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I would say it happens a lot.(wifes checking in Husbands deer, when they should be making sandwiches) Im guessing they were just fishing and checking the past years records.

Let it go, its not worth getting upset about. Next time you see him as to see his license.:D

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I'd say you were lucky he didn't pursue things further if you reacted like that. Those guys usually aren't that easily persuaded to change their mind as I'm told. Sounds like you dodged one there.

On a second note, where did your "written permission to reduce the deer population anytime your family deems it necessary" come from? I need to get one of those!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    So, which one of your neighbors is the kind of guy who's manhood could feel threatened because your wife's deer was better than his? :)

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Is it standard for them to be questioning people this far out of deer season?
    ... not entirely unheard of. There are many complaints that get followed up on after the season closes, when they have time. During the season, they're working long hours just checking tags and trying to keep people safe.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Is it standard for them to be questioning people this far out of deer season?

not that im aware of. the sad truth is your wife had to learn the dark side of hunting on her first buck. its imposible to kill a nice buck without everyone saying you poached it. ive been accused a time or 2 myself. at one point i even questioned giving up hunting wich anyone who knows me will tell you is my life.

people this that if a buck was killabe and not 100% nocturnal that they are the only hunter good enough to actually kill the buck. noone could be a better hunter than them or just be in the right spot at the right time

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    I'd say you were lucky he didn't pursue things further if you reacted like that. Those guys usually aren't that easily persuaded to change their mind as I'm told. Sounds like you dodged one there.
    Lucky?? Huh, all i did was stand up for myself when someone was trying to wrongly acuse me & my family of poaching
    He can pursue it all he wants, the next time he comes on my property i will tell him to leave or arrest me. I will not let him or anyone else harrass me . My wife & I havnt done anything wrong.
    Change his mind abot what.
    I shot a deer I tagged it.
    My wife shot a deer She tagged IT. End of disscussion. What could i possably get in trouble for? If your not guilty your NOT guilty.....

On a second note, where did your "written permission to reduce the deer population anytime your family deems it necessary" come from? I need to get one of those!
    We own a farm, the deer have been known to destroy our crops, the rest of the info is in the DNR regs booklet.....

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    Sorry CAM, didnt mean to sound rude, was just offended by the whole situation.
    I have counted to 10..... 25 times.. & hopfully i can take Indymonkeys advice & let it go :cool:

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    No worries! I only said what I did because I was cited by a DNR officer several years ago when I felt it wasn't justly done so I know how you feel. The Officer who I dealt with was an *** hat even when I was as nice as could be. While I have all the respect in the world for these guys and the jobs they do, some of them have the social skills of Hitler. I think it's because they have to deal with some real idiots and after a while they forget some of us have some sense about us.

And seriously on the deer permits for your farm, I didn't know they had permits that you could use any time. I thought it was a season by season thing.

Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a deprivation permit. It wasn't near as easy and open ended at the OP's is. I had to show damage, had to show over population. Once the permit was approved, I could add up to 10 people that could hunt under the provisions of the permit. My initial permit was for 10, they prefer does, if we got 10 they would reissue another permit. If it was a buck and had a rack more than 6 points, 1/2 the rack had to be given to DNR. Hunt time was also extended, but cannot recall exactly how much. Center fire was allowed, bigger than .243. They want dead dear, not wounded dear. Most of the dear were taken with a .308. Any kills had to be reported within 24 hours. Also I had approved properties, based on parcel numbers I provided DNR. And last and not least, you had better have than permit on your person when hunting!!

The permit did help, despite deer eating 2500 cantaloupe plants of the first 4000 we transplanted. I did show significantly less green bean damage.

birdhunter55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Clarksburg, Indiana
    Good for you Samot! Too many times, individuals let LEO's or in this case DNRs intimidate them. +1 to you for not backing down. I too would have been more than a little upset with such false accusations and would have asked for the guys badge and his manager's name as well. Probably would have gotten me in more trouble in the short term, but so be it. Never was one much on political correctness or tact.

fyrefyter101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    south of fortwayne
    I admit the way he went about the situation may have been wrong, but you did the right thing and told him the truth. Be proud that your wife can take a deer, without remembering scenes of Bambi going thru her head.

Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    They've got to have some kind of reasoning for stopping in to talk to you. Just because it's your first year hunting doesn't mean you can't get lucky or get put in a stand that's going to kill. As long as you did everything correct and are telling the truth I can see why your ticked off too.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    They've got to have some kind of reasoning for stopping in to talk to you. Just because it's your first year hunting doesn't mean you can't get lucky or get put in a stand that's going to kill. As long as you did everything correct and are telling the truth I can see why your ticked off too.

i personally be ticked. mabye its just me but i would not be ok with dnr accusing my wife of somthing like that.

in fact if you accuse my family of anything like that and wern't leo you might leave your teeth on my property

Top Bottom