• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    My first thought after reading this was what if Dad was working on the boat? zyou are know pointing a gun at him.

i know my father, it was midnight, the garage was closed...hes not out there in the pitch black ....just doesnt happen

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    What about one of those forehead flashlights on a elastic band?? Yeah! Coal miners have had it right all along.

Oh wait, BG may shoot at my light. Messy, messy.

I know . . . . . We all get Night Vision. No more flashlights. Problem solved.

Wait, I'm broke, I can't afford NV.

Let's apply K.I.S.S. . . . . . A light mounted on a gun !!! Why hasn't someone thought of this ??

Oh, they have but a gun guru who wrote a book said not to do this.

I choose to not make THIS mistake because I don't trust my own better judgement, skills, abilities, etc.

MortifydPenguin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    West Indy
    What about one of those forehead flashlights on a elastic band?? Yeah! Coal miners have had it right all along.

Oh wait, BG may shoot at my light. Messy, messy.

I know . . . . . We all get Night Vision. No more flashlights. Problem solved.

Wait, I'm broke, I can't afford NV.

Let's apply K.I.S.S. . . . . . A light mounted on a gun !!! Why hasn't someone thought of this ??

Oh, they have but a gun guru who wrote a book said not to do this.

I choose to not make THIS mistake because I don't trust my own better judgement, skills, abilities, etc.

Well you obviously didn't read the article. If you did then you would see that gun guru is for them, but only for engaging a target not for searching around the house.

I will be the first to admit that I am no expert. This is why I am tring to learn. But to me pointing a deadly weapon at an innocent person is not something I want to do.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The thought of mounting a light onto a weapon isn't that appealing. Walking around the house with one in the chamber trying to clear a bump in the night? Walk up on a family member whom you startle and then they in turn startle you, with your finger on the trigger? Sounds like a tragedy waiting to happen.

After reviewing the IC codes, reading some other posts and reflecting on how I would react I believe a reasonable man would have engaged in a similar fashion. I wouldn't recommend lazing without knowing your target but I can't say a number of us wouldn't investigate a noise in a car port with an unholstered weapon. Not every one of us but I tend to believe a majority.

Do yourself a favor. Buy the motion light.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Well you obviously didn't read the article. If you did then you would see that gun guru is for them, but only for engaging a target not for searching around the house.

I will be the first to admit that I am no expert. This is why I am tring to learn. But to me pointing a deadly weapon at an innocent person is not something I want to do.

I read the article, you obviously didn't read my previous post or see my second post was all purple.

Imaginary scenarios are invaluable tools. Some contributions have merit, some I discard.

I prefer efficiency and control handling my Glock, especially under high stress. Having both hands occupied with a separate flashlight and weapon detracts from both.

With my laser / light combo I can easily illuminate an area and keep POI where I want it. Best of both worlds and much less demanding. Should be a cardinal rule for low light.

MortifydPenguin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    West Indy
    I do see your point about POI. The gun mounted lights are very powerful, powerful enough to light a dark room without raising it high enough to be targeting anyone.

I haven't made my mind up yet if agree with putting this into practice. But you have given me much to think about. Currently I have no option for a gun mounted light, but I am planning on getting a glock soon and it will be an option.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Autozone...$3

320768_258303757552064_100001173252070_682764_299428656_n.jpg

Light could be held in gun hand between the knuckles with the 2nd hand being used to support. Whats the stance called?

Everybody wins! :)

Last edited:

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon

You obviously are not familiar with the color purple being used for sarcasm on this forum..:D

OP, you seemed to have learned quite a bit from this experience. The only thing I would suggest is using a separate light to scan the darkness, keeping the gun ready in case it's needed.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Who said they'd chuck a round out? Not everyone walks around as prepared as you or I do, JetGirl.

Anytime I get a new pistol, I go a week or two getting comfortable with it before I leave one chambered when I carry. Coincidentally, my incident occurred while I was still in this phase.

I always leave one chambered. No pointless chucking here. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom