H2 Targets Binary Explosive Review (H2 versus Tannerite)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    There was a recent thread describing several friends shooting for a day. One of the feature events was setting off some H2Targets brand binary explosive.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/207074-some_shooting_fun_in_a_buddys_back_yard.html

I’ve purchased Tannerite several times in the past. It's been the 'standard' in the market for several years.

A couple of gun shows back, I met the gentlemen from H2Targets from western Ohio. I liked their product and I liked its price point.

With another gun show coming up, I wanted to offer up a simple and decidedly unscientific test on the last container of Tannerite I had around.

I recently had several INGO friends at the range for some ammo testing. While they were there, I asked if they would make a subjective comparison between Tannerite and the H2 Targets product. Of course, they said‘Yes’! We were primarily rating the ‘boominess’of each compound and the loudness of the report.

The set-up was simple. I mixed a half pound of Tannerite and a half pound of the H2Targets product. Each was placed in matching plastic jars and placed next to a stump in my yard. The air temperature was around 80 degrees F.

OneBadV8 did the honors using a .308Savage bolt gun.

qwzw2a.jpg

First theTannerite product:
    http://v6.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=23j66uc&s=6

Next the H2Targets material:
    http://v6.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=1zlqa6e&s=6

We noticed that the Tannerite smoke was bluish and the H2Targets smoke was a gray-brown. This doesn’t mean anything,we just noticed it!

9a3fvn.jpg

Here’s the summary:

http://v6.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=k6p6p&s=6

We all felt the H2Target material was slightly ‘boomier’ than the Tannerite. It had a nice crisp blast.

The big difference between the products is price. I’ve seen the Tannerite product sell in the area of $7 to $9 dollars per pound. I recently saw a 2# package of Tannerite offered at Rural King in Columbus for $30!! or $15 per pound. Outrageous!

At the lastI ndy1500 Gun Show, the H2Targets product was selling for $45 for 10 pounds($4.50/pound). This is a far better price for a product that is similar and slightly better than Tannerite.

H2Targets can be contacted here:

http://h2targets.com/

To finish the day of shooting means we sat down for dinner!

2nsccnl.jpg

I love days with shooting, good friends, and good food! :)

Last edited:

Pitchfork

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    South Bend Area
    Great review! :rockwoot:

I was reading the directions on their website and have two questions:

Mixing Directions:
    H2Target Jars: Locate the small bag inside the jars which contains gray powder. Pour the powder into the container and shake for 60 seconds. When shaking, it is best to imitate a washing machine. For best results, shake the target for 30 sec right side up, then 30 seconds upside down. Place target at least 50 yards away and shoot with a high powered rifle. Do NOT transport or store targets after mixing, as doing so is a violation of federal law.

Who did the washing machine impression? And where is the video? :laugh:

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    I've been using H2 for about a year now and I concur w/ their test results- it's much better than Tannerite in quality, with a bigger boom and more cleaner/complete combustion, where there aren't "left over" beads lying around after the blast. Plus it's much cheaper..

Good stuff and it's really fun to place a 1 lb. bag of it painted orange at 200+ yard distances to see if you can hit it. It's a challenge..
    When you do, you know it and it's instant shot gratification! :rockwoot:

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011

With you being a C.E., can you comment on what you think makes the bigger boom with the H2 stuff? Is one brand using more Ammonium-Nitrate and Aluminum-Powder over the next, or is the ratio different between the two?

Just trying to satisfy my own M.E. curiosities I guess, where I'm always fascinated to know "how things work". :): I figured you'd be the guy to ask "in the know". ;)

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The gray-brown cloud indicates the H2 mix is underfueled which not only makes it more sensitive but it also tends to increase the detonation velocity at the expense of the total gas volume produced. Tannerite doesn't perform nearly as well in an unconfined environment because it isn't as sensitive hence why there's often undetonated product.

Considering that the retail price of explosives grade AN is about $8/50lbs and the fuel mixture runs about $10/lb for lab grade and cheaper for pyrotechnics grade and is about 5-6% of the mixture by weight, $4.50/lb is still a very good profit margin.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    :yesway:

I will add that as soon as the H2 detonated you could feel the air pressure almost instantly where the tannerite you couldn't feel at all from the same distance.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    The gray-brown cloud indicates the H2 mix is underfueled which not only makes it more sensitive but it also tends to increase the detonation velocity at the expense of the total gas volume produced. Tannerite doesn't perform nearly as well in an unconfined environment because it isn't as sensitive hence why there's often undetonated product.

Considering that the retail price of explosives grade AN is about $8/50lbs and the fuel mixture runs about $10/lb for lab grade and cheaper for pyrotechnics grade and is about 5-6% of the mixture by weight, $4.50/lb is still a very good profit margin.
    Hmmmm, interesting.

What does the aluminum powder do and why does it have to be used?

EDIT: Learned that the AL is an oxidizer or the "fuel". More AL= Fuel rich, slower burn, less bang, more blue smoke, more stable. Less AL= Under fueled, leaner burn, bigger bang, more white smoke, less stable.

Neat stuff, thanks for the reviews and the dinner looks great! ;)

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Anyone else want to know where shibumiseeker learned all of that? I want a helmet cam on about 10 INGO members' lives and then I can unhook Comcast. Less commercials and probably WAY more interesting.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks for bumping up my thread lmw!

50 lbs makes a HUGE boom & has no problem ridding your field of old unwanted minivans. :rockwoot:

762Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    One other minor factor to consider outside of what type and how much fuel you are using, is how much moisture the AN may have absorbed from the air over time. It works better when its dry.

As others have said, if you can get your hands on agricultural AN (which is increasingly more difficult to find due to gov) you can make your own targets for a small fraction of the cost.

Thanks for posting your experience with the products.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Anyone else want to know where shibumiseeker learned all of that? I want a helmet cam on about 10 INGO members' lives and then I can unhook Comcast. Less commercials and probably WAY more interesting.

I don't post about 75% of the stuff I do or have done because most folks would think I'm making it up. Let's just say I live a very rich and diverse life and the only reason I post on groups is because I am bored at work, otherwise I wouldn't have the time.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Cool report! Looks like H2 gets the nod from here on out.

And thanks to theweakerbrother for texting me pictures of those pork chops. :xmad:

Anyone else want to know where shibumiseeker learned all of that?

I know where. And I find it funny that you mention helmet cams. It would indeed be interesting if he wore one (and he probably has before). :D

Top Bottom