• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Given how Freedom Group has been gradually devaluing/destroying multiple firearm brands, I have to wonder what is going on with shotguns. That is one of the few areas where they have duplication (Remingtons and H&R Pardner), with the H&R Pardner being the cheaper, imported versions. Are they going to end up killing one or the other?

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    "Freedom Group" is about the most mis-named concern out there. I love my H&R 410 Topper, it was my first shotgun and I have it to this day.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just bought a Handi-Rifle in .45-70. I was hoping to use it for deer this year but...
    At least I got it before they announced the discontinuation.
    I also have a Handi-Rifle in .500S&W and I love them both.

They're great guns that have been good sellers for a long time.
    I don't understand.

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    I have bought both of my grandsons a Handi-rifle in .357 and .44 mag. Both are crazy accurate and have harvested deer out to 105 yards. I'm sorry to hear they have stopped production. Go figger

Bradis Guns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    I don't understand.

With pump-action shotguns and bolt-action rifles available from a number of manufacturers for the same or even less than what the H&R single-shots were running, not many folks were choosing the singles. About the only H&R firearm we have regularly sold for the past few years has been the Handi-Rifle in .44Mag for deer.

Treetoppilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2015
    Mccordsville
    I'm not sure what the going price was for the Handi rifle, but I'm more curious to know who their competition is. I guess the market just isn't there anymore.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'm not sure what the going price was for the Handi rifle, but I'm more curious to know who their competition is. I guess the market just isn't there anymore.

CVA for rifles, Rossi for shotguns. After Freedom Group bought H&R the prices went up $50 or more so by doing that they really priced themselves out of the single shot game.

The market is there, the price point has to be there though, and when a single shot firearm goes up that much and is the same price as some pump shotguns or used rifles, why limit to just 1 shot?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The market is there, the price point has to be there though, and when a single shot firearm goes up that much and is the same price as some pump shotguns or used rifles, why limit to just 1 shot?

Precisely. As much as people LIKE to care about manufacturing origin, they'll dump their loyalty to the all mighty American manufacturing when it comes to money. For a few dollars more, I can get a cheapo Mexican Mossberg Maverick, or a Turkish {insert number or difficult to pronounce name here}.

Same with their rifle caliber weapons: I can get, for almost literally the same price, a Ruger American or Savage Axis for the same price and have far better performance. The few HR .223s and .243s I had I dumped because I would spend almost a year finding a load it liked and could only squeeze 2MOA out of them. More than enough for hunting, but the Axis I had would do 1.5MOA with my bulk handloaded .223, under 1" with loads tailored for it. Plus, that was out of the box, where my HRs required new crowns and chamber reaming out of the box, not to mention the terrible triggers.

They were a good value, even with their shotguns. Their shotguns remain an excellent choice, and I still have a few. But their rifles were mediocre, unless you wanted a .45-70 without paying the idiotic prices that Marlins are garnering because of sentimental value.

That said, always wanted a .357 or .45 LC chambered one, but either non-existent (stores wouldn't even special order them for me, "not enough margin on the sale" one went as far to tell me) or people want $400 for it because it has a Centerpoint 3-9 they bought on special at WalMart.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Somebody told me that they are not accurate enough.

They were plenty accurate enough. Minute of deer heart of better (often a lot better)

At the end of the day, comes down to the bottom line in how much they're making off them and if they're worth the trouble to make

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Here we go, nobody wanted them before and now that they are discontinued dealers will be trying to get double the price at the shows. Who knows maybe they'll sell now. I remember the old S&W L frame 696 .44 spcls, we couldn't give those away when new and now they are 900-1000.00 at the shows.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Here we go, nobody wanted them before and now that they are discontinued dealers will be trying to get double the price at the shows. Who knows maybe they'll sell now. I remember the old S&W L frame 696 .44 spcls, we couldn't give those away when new and now they are 900-1000.00 at the shows.

Is that the dealer's fault or is it supply and demand? If they're being bid up to $900-1000 on gunbroker doesn't that mean it's what they're worth now? I remember buying a brand new 657 for $500, now they're the same boat as the 696s. Colt snake guns are a prime example. It's not a dealer's fault for consumer's demand

As for the H&R.....there's so many of them I highly doubt they will ever demand anything close to what could be considered a premium. Once a cheap gun, always a cheap gun. Very rarely are mass produced utility firearms worth anything special. Not saying it doesn't happen, it's just pretty rare

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    The 357 handi's are going for about $400 used right now, and it's hard to find them for sale.

It's a great caliber for the handi. If the company had focused on production of rifles in calibers people actually wanted to buy, instead of half-assed production numbers on God knows how many different calibers, maybe they'd still be around.

Top Bottom