• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Do any of you know if there is a version of the MP5 that is only semi auto? I love this platform of the h&k but cannot afford to own a sub machine gun. I have seen some GSG's that were .22 lr, but would like to have one in 9 or 45. Thanks for the imput.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Do any of you know if there is a version of the MP5 that is only semi auto? I love this platform of the h&k but cannot afford to own a sub machine gun. I have seen some GSG's that were .22 lr, but would like to have one in 9 or 45. Thanks for the imput.

Yes, seen a few in 9mm on gunbroker in the past if I remember right.

Some good info below.

Heckler & Koch MP5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Rotor Talker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greenfield
    Vector, etc

Vector made some a few years back in 9, and 40, not sure about 45 or 10mm, bear in mind that even though it's semi auto, if you only have 9" or less barrel, that makes it a short barreled rifle, thus incurring the $200.00 tax stamp for registering it as an NFA item.

I think it was Bobcat arms, or something like that also made some, but seem to recall some reliability issues. It's a great platform, that's expensive, but a very good time! :rockwoot:

Might look at Knob Creek coming up in April, I think it's 8th and 9th, there could be some there, lots of knowledgeable folk on here that can help you too.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    HK made one, it was the HK94. A semi auto only 16 in barreled 9mm carbine. Of course these are very hard to find and very pricey in todays market.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    Vector made some a few years back in 9, and 40, not sure about 45 or 10mm, bear in mind that even though it's semi auto, if you only have 9" or less barrel, that makes it a short barreled rifle, thus incurring the $200.00 tax stamp for registering it as an NFA item.

I think it was Bobcat arms, or something like that also made some, but seem to recall some reliability issues. It's a great platform, that's expensive, but a very good time! :rockwoot:

Might look at Knob Creek coming up in April, I think it's 8th and 9th, there could be some there, lots of knowledgeable folk on here that can help you too.

this is not correct, it needs to 16 inches in lenght (barrel) not 9, otherwise it is a sbr as stated,

if you want to have the short barrel and no stamp buy it as a pistol no stock or vfg

Rotor Talker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greenfield
    16 years, what do I know....

this is not correct, it needs to 16 inches in lenght (barrel) not 9, otherwise it is a sbr as stated,

if you want to have the short barrel and no stamp buy it as a pistol no stock or vfg

Note to self: So much for trying to help, stick to lurking.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    H&K used to make a version MP5SF in both A2 and A3 configuration. Glanced over it in an old catalog, as I was never interested in a subgun look-alike that only runs semi.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    H&K used to make a version MP5SF in both A2 and A3 configuration. Don't know if they still do, as I was never interested in a subgun look-alike that only runs semi.

As I understand it, those would still be classified as machine guns by the ATF, due to their ability to easily accept a full-auto trigger pack. Or something. I don't really speak HK all that fluently. ;)

HK Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    The HK94 is a semi version of the MP5 but it has a 16" barrel. They are pretty pricey as most have been snapped up / cut down for sear hosting. The are a number of clones floating around, some better than others.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    A real HK MP5 semi that was converted from an HK 94 will cost you upwards of 4K. An HK 94 with 16'' barrel upwards of 3K.

Cohaire made some MP5 clones in both rifle (16'' barrel) and pistol form which used to sell around $1300. But their quality varied. Some were good shooters others needed parts replaced to run reliably. I own both an CA89 and a CA89K. Both of mine run reliably and look find. But don't compare them to a real HK. Having a real HK and CA89 side by side you can see the sloppyness in the manufacturing process. The Cohairies however for many users offer an affordable MP5 clone and make good sear hosts from what I've been told.

Then there are Turkish MKE guns. They've been imported as pistols and rifles recently. On the upside they've been manufactured on real HK tooling and are from what I've been told good and solid semi shooters. But they will not run with a sear in f/a as there is bolt blocking bar installed preventing the use of a f/a bolt.

Last but not definitely not least are many clones often custom built from HK parts sets by many different manufacturers. Turner manufactures and sells those starting at around 2.5K. Other manufacturers are likely more. They are as real to HK as you can get with a US receiver without paying the premium for the real deal.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    Alfahornet nailed it !!

To the OP , if your "never" gonne use your MP5 or clone for FA then you might wanna check out the MKE (turkish built on HK tooling)

Vector
    Bobcat
    Coharie
    are just a few clone manufacturers that come to mind
    You will still pay close to $1500 for a decent clone
    Good Luck

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Get ahold of Kent (gunruner) at class 3 sales... we got one in a few weeks ago for a customer that was one of the best clones I have ever seen. he has all the info as far as how to order it.

swatdoc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Franklin
    Subscribed. Lots of good info here.

I want to convert a 94 (making a SA MP5). Does anyone here in Indiana do the barrel work?

Top Bottom