• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    This happened in my town. I heard it on the police scanner. Sad. Troubled people like this certainly don't help the cause of legal, responsible gun owners. Sad.

[FONT=arial, helvetica]
    [FONT=verdana,arial]January 9, 2010
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Police: Man shot himself during traffic stop[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Serif]43-year-old pronounced dead at Reid Hospital
    [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
    By Mike Bennett
    Staff Writer
    [/FONT]A 43-year-old Richmond man has died after shooting himself in the head during a traffic stop, according to the Richmond Police Department.
    Derrick A. Mowery of 1415 Boyer St. was pronounced dead on arrival at Reid Hospital just before noon Friday.
    He was driving a white Jeep Cherokee when first-shift officer Mark Sutton initiated a traffic stop about 11:15 a.m. Friday. The SUV slowed and veered to the side of the 200 block of South 16th Street. It came to rest at an angle in a snow-covered area on the west side of the street.
    "The vehicle was being pulled over for tinted windows," said Lt. Brad Berner. "It was just a routine traffic stop."
    Sutton received no response when "yelling to roll down the window," Berner said. "So he opened the door and found the victim had shot himself."
    Mowery was taken to the hospital by ambulance.
    His driver's license had been suspended for being a habitual traffic violator and he had been released from prison in July 2008, Berner said. Mowery could have faced felony charges for driving and for carrying a handgun.
    The vehicle was towed to the police garage for processing.
    [/FONT]

PS: Head shot through the mouth

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    This happened in my town. I heard it on the police scanner. Sad. Troubled people like this certainly don't help the cause of legal, responsible gun owners. Sad.

[FONT=arial, helvetica][FONT=verdana,arial]January 9, 2010[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Police: Man shot himself during traffic stop[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Serif]43-year-old pronounced dead at Reid Hospital[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]By Mike Bennett[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Staff Writer[/FONT]A 43-year-old Richmond man has died after shooting himself in the head during a traffic stop, according to the Richmond Police Department.
    Derrick A. Mowery of 1415 Boyer St. was pronounced dead on arrival at Reid Hospital just before noon Friday.
    He was driving a white Jeep Cherokee when first-shift officer Mark Sutton initiated a traffic stop about 11:15 a.m. Friday. The SUV slowed and veered to the side of the 200 block of South 16th Street. It came to rest at an angle in a snow-covered area on the west side of the street.
    "The vehicle was being pulled over for tinted windows," said Lt. Brad Berner. "It was just a routine traffic stop."
    Sutton received no response when "yelling to roll down the window," Berner said. "So he opened the door and found the victim had shot himself."
    Mowery was taken to the hospital by ambulance.
    His driver's license had been suspended for being a habitual traffic violator and he had been released from prison in July 2008, Berner said. Mowery could have faced felony charges for driving and for carrying a handgun.
    The vehicle was towed to the police garage for processing.
    [/FONT]

PS: Head shot through the mouth

Sad for his family. But he guy wasn't a legal or responsible gun owner.

Shouldn't reflect on us. Althouhg it may be spun that way...

Last edited:

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    Sad for his family. But he guy was a a legal or responsible gun owner.

Shouldn't reflect on us. Althouhg it may be spun that way...

Don't you mean that he wasn't legal or responsible owner? It shouldn't reflect on it, but it does. The stupid hicks in the town have been posting comments on the Pal-Item that it was the cops fault for pulling him over. They have been saying horrible things about the cops actions, but it was obviously a good stop on a dangerous guy.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Don't you mean that he wasn't legal or responsible owner? It shouldn't reflect on it, but it does. The stupid hicks in the town have been posting comments on the Pal-Item that it was the cops fault for pulling him over. They have been saying horrible things about the cops actions, but it was obviously a good stop on a dangerous guy.

Yes!

Fixed it.....

Althogh I give the guy credit for offing himself and not trying to involve others......

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I agree, sad for his family and an unfortunate incident. The media does like to spin stories like this in a negative way towards guns in general and tries to make guns and gun owners look bad.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I live in a relatively small town and crime is up here. Everytime I read about something happening local I make a point to tell my wife, so she will not become complacent. I started keeping track of incidents just so I could help myself remember. Here is what I have since 12/29/09:

Incidents
    12/29/09 Advanced check cash Nat Road West robbed at gun point.

12/30/09 US Bank NW 5th robbed with note.

01/01/10 56y man robbed at gun point by two men1300 block E Main St.
    Home invasion.

1/2/10 Strong-armed robbery. 53 y/o woman pushed to ground robbed of
    wallet by 5'8" man. 800 block of South C St.

01/05/10 David A. Dick and Campbell H. Epes robbed CVS east side with
    a note for drugs.

01/6/10 A man reached behind the counter and took 6 rings while
    another man provided destraction at Hoppe Jewelers 900 East Main,
    Richmond.

01/08/10 Derrick Mowery, 43, shot himself in the head during a traffic stop at South A and 16th Streets.

BUCK HINKLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    greenfield
    Sad a scary , but the man could not be well if he shot himself over the idea of some jail time. He had been their before,heck I don't know but I think it is very sad...

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Prayers sent for the family, community, and the Officer.

Thank God that he decided to just shoot himself instead of ambushing the Officer or anyone else first.

Praying the shooter now has peace.

Top Bottom