• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I've always said that because there's a legal age to be able to posess a gun doesn't mean one should be able to. Same goes for parenting and we all know how that can turn out.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I've always said that because there's a legal age to be able to posess a gun doesn't mean one should be able to. Same goes for parenting and we all know how that can turn out.
    Funny thing about freedom. Bad things can happen. We punish the criminally liable and accept that we can't prevent all accidents.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    This kid is dead because this waste of oxygen broke all 4 rules at once.

I don't understand why anyone would ever think it was okay to point a gun at a child.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    1) His handgun was left where the child could get it.
    2) He thought it was unloaded because the mag was in his pocket.
    3) He had been drinking.
    4) He took the handgun from the child (no indication that a safety discussion followed).
    5) He pointed it at the child in play because it was unloaded (See #2, #3).
    6) He pulled the trigger because it was unloaded (See #2, #3).

It is very sad that a child died because someone broke every safety rule imaginable.

Oh, and throw in an "allegedly" wherever appropriate but I think most of that was stipulated.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    The damn guns are never loaded.

Just a few hours ago, I needed to log in a Winchester for repair. I picked it up off the counter and cleared it...
    Four 12ga shells were in that unloaded shotgun.

image_zps53049e6a.jpg

I'm gonna need a bigger jar...

image_zps59998ad9.jpg

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Absolutely irresponsible on the part of the gun owner. Firearms are not toys. If you treat them as such you do not deserve to own them. Every single firearm safety rule was broken and a child is dead as a result.

JetGirl, I hope you cleared the shotgun in front of the customer so they could bear witness to their own stupidity.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Absolutely irresponsible on the part of the gun owner. Firearms are not toys. If you treat them as such you do not deserve to own them. Every single firearm safety rule was broken and a child is dead as a result.

JetGirl, I hope you cleared the shotgun in front of the customer so they could bear witness to their own stupidity.

And give them the look of the angry Monkey. No words need be spoken when the look of the angry monkey is cast upon you. You will know you have screwed the pooch

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I was just thinking that alcohol was probably involved.
    1) His handgun was left where the child could get it.
    2) He thought it was unloaded because the mag was in his pocket.
    3) He had been drinking.
    4) He took the handgun from the child (no indication that a safety discussion followed).
    5) He pointed it at the child in play because it was unloaded (See #2, #3).
    6) He pulled the trigger because it was unloaded (See #2, #3).

It is very sad that a child died because someone broke every safety rule imaginable.

Oh, and throw in an "allegedly" wherever appropriate but I think most of that was stipulated.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

I do hope she showed them their mistake, but people make mistakes, particularly absent-minded mistakes.

That's the reason that you assume the gun is always loaded, etc.

That's the reason that (for example) I never set my gun on the back of a toilet seat in a public restroom. You don't know what distraction will happen next and then I'll be the idiot.

Before I had guns, I was a skydiving instructor. And I've been involved with anesthesia for 26 years. Preventing accidents is largely about assuming there WILL be human error.

My opinion is that you take precautions/procedures on the assumption that you absolutely WILL make a mistake like this someday, and don't think that only idiots make those kind of mistakes.

I think that's really what the 4 rules of gun safety are about. You generally have to violate more than 1 of them to have a gun accident.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I had the experience of holding that jar earlier today. If you lift it up there are a lot more rounds in there than there first appears!

Truly sad.

Doug

Top Bottom