Guy comes up and starts yelling " he has a gun!" what do you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedy2222

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Noblesville
    This is something that happened a few years ago to me and just wanted to get other peoples opinions on it.

So here's what went down, i was OC'ing at the mall in marion and got stopped by a salesperson handing out flyers. A couple seconds go by and this older guy walks up and starts saying to anybody he sees" That guy has a gun!" he started shouting it after a few people had taken notice aswell as pointing in my direction. He claimed there were signs on the doors and that it's illegal to carry a gun in public. I tried reasoning with him but that just made it worse. LUCKILY his wife drug him away and curiosity got the best of me, so while i was waiting for a friend in a store i strolled down to an entrance and spotted no signage. On my way back to the store i was stopped by security guard who demanded i conceal my weapon or leave the store.

This was the first and only confrontation i've ever had while carrying and i'd like to know what would you guys do in this situation? I just stayed calm and wound up complying with the security guards requests due to having to wait for said friend to get me home.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    well first off welcome to INGO,
    secondly if someone is going to inform my surroundings that I have a gun, well good for him?!
    if the store doesn't allow you to carry, or OC.. well then don't shop there or conceal it?!

Speedy2222

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Noblesville
    There was nowhere stating that i could not carry or OC, so where's the line? is one person saying i can't OC enough to force me to do otherwise?

Thanks for the welcome also.

LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    If possible, try to be polite and educate the man (sounds like you tried). He was just afraid because of ignorance. To be honest, I understand his fear. I bet most citizen dont realize that it is not illegal for you to carry (w/appropriate license depending upon state). If I were in a mall and someone walked past me OCing, I would watch him closely to be certain my family wasnt in danger. My father was in law enforcement for 27yrs, so until a few years ago whenever I saw a stranger carrying a (holstered) gun, my initial impression was that they were in law enforcement.

Personally after being at the range last weekend I purposely concealed my sob holster walking into a convenience store that had been robbed in the past. It was late and I didnt want to cause drama. Although, I doubt most criminals openly carry their weapon, I wouldnt want to the store clerk have to make that assumption. I think the environment should determine the practice. For instance, I think it would be great if informed gun owner's carried their weapons more often. IMO, there would be fewer victims, and far less damage when tragedies do occur (such as in that theatre). However, IMHO, the responding individual (carrying a gun) during those times would most likely be the most effective with the element of surprise. If you were a nut wanting to shootup a mall, wouldnt you take out the guy with the gun on his hip first? Or possibly wait until he was not in the area? Either way, that OCing individual would be less effective. However, if the "nut" were aware that some people in the area had hidden weapons on them, I think he would choose another area.

But...I still think a two gun shoulder holster still looks cool...

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    If possible, try to be polite and educate the man (sounds like you tried). He was just afraid because of ignorance. To be honest, I understand his fear. I bet most citizen dont realize that it is not illegal for you to carry (w/appropriate license depending upon state). If I were in a mall and someone walked past me OCing, I would watch him closely to be certain my family wasnt in danger. My father was in law enforcement for 27yrs, so until a few years ago whenever I saw a stranger carrying a (holstered) gun, my initial impression was that they were in law enforcement.

Personally after being at the range last weekend I purposely concealed my sob holster walking into a convenience store that had been robbed in the past. It was late and I didnt want to cause drama. Although, I doubt most criminals openly carry their weapon, I wouldnt want to the store clerk have to make that assumption. I think the environment should determine the practice. For instance, I think it would be great if informed gun owner's carried their weapons more often. IMO, there would be fewer victims, and far less damage when tragedies do occur (such as in that theatre). However, IMHO, the responding individual (carrying a gun) during those times would most likely be the most effective with the element of surprise. If you were a nut wanting to shootup a mall, wouldnt you take out the guy with the gun on his hip first? Or possibly wait until he was not in the area? Either way, that OCing individual would be less effective. However, if the "nut" were aware that some people in the area had hidden weapons on them, I think he would choose another area.

But...I still think a two gun shoulder holster still looks cool...

:horse: This will probably turn into another OC vs. CC debate.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This is something that happened a few years ago to me and just wanted to get other peoples opinions on it.

So here's what went down, i was OC'ing at the mall in marion and got stopped by a salesperson handing out flyers. A couple seconds go by and this older guy walks up and starts saying to anybody he sees" That guy has a gun!" he started shouting it after a few people had taken notice aswell as pointing in my direction. He claimed there were signs on the doors and that it's illegal to carry a gun in public. I tried reasoning with him but that just made it worse. LUCKILY his wife drug him away and curiosity got the best of me, so while i was waiting for a friend in a store i strolled down to an entrance and spotted no signage. On my way back to the store i was stopped by security guard who demanded i conceal my weapon or leave the store.

This was the first and only confrontation i've ever had while carrying and i'd like to know what would you guys do in this situation? I just stayed calm and wound up complying with the security guards requests due to having to wait for said friend to get me home.

I am surprised he asked you to cover it up. Most malls would ask you to leave or to take it to your car.

I find it curious that we gun owners are somehow responsible for their HOLOPHOBIA. Sufferers should seek treatment themselves, this is after all a mental illness.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Tell him to mind his own damn buisnesd, or better yet shout "what!! Where!!! Everyone run that nut jobs got a gun" in a panicked voice and take off haulin a$$

evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    I am surprised he asked you to cover it up. Most malls would ask you to leave or to take it to your car.

I find it curious that we gun owners are somehow responsible for their HOLOPHOBIA. Sufferers should seek treatment themselves, this is after all a mental illness.

I disagree, just CC your fire truck and don't scare the sheeple...

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    I'm assuming the Marion "North Park Mall", it has since changed it's name. I used to work out there back about 2000. There were no signs stating no firearms. You just simply met one of the many tools that call Marion home. Chalk the experience up to pure foolishness and carry on.

JagsFan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    I am normally a fan with open carry, but with all that is going on right now I wouldn't. There is to many chances for something like this to happen and draw unwanted attention. Be safe out there!

Sdixon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Wayne county
    The last thing you want is a guy screaming about a gun and creating a mass panic.
    The best thing to do in a situation like that is to calmy pull out your weapon and fire a couple of shots in the air, then instruct everyone to calm the f@$& down! Seems to work on TV....
    All joking aside it sounds like you handled the situation perfectly.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Guy comes up and starts yelling " he has a gun!" what do you do?

Immediately think of Bradley Cooper's character Lt. Peck in the A-Team movie.

And then wonder who else in the nearby vicinity is carrying and why I missed it. He couldn't be talking about me unless he got his pronouns wrong.

Top Bottom