• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I'm coming to the brain trust because I need a suggestion on a gutter guard. I live in an area with a lot of trees and regularly get acorns and leaves that accumulate on the roof. A specific name or a link to a product would be greatly appreciated. If it matters, they are 6" gutters.

Thank you!

PSA: Do NOT waste money on the gutter helmet! Excellent idea, poor execution.

See photos. The gutter helmet depends on a small gap between the gutter helmet and the gutter itself to allow water to travel into the gutter. The issue is when any debris accumulates and blocks that gap. Then the water just spills over the gutter.

20210705_151202.jpg

20210705_151205.jpg

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I'm looking for a solution also. My roofs are easy to get up on, so I can keep it clean most of the time, but it's not as easy as it once was. I have giant Locus and maple trees, and it's always something coming down. Pain in the buttocks.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    But dont they claim to clean your gutters for free if they dont work? Have you tried calling them?

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I had 5 trees in my yard. So far I’ve had 3 removed, just because of this reason. I tried the guards... they still got clogged. It’s a never ending battle, so I killed the source. It’s amazing how much it’s helped the house just getting rid of the trees. The deck stays cleaner, the roof and gutters are clean, even the awnings are cleaner. Sorry I’m no help, but if you’re debating removing your trees, I highly suggest just biting the bullet and doing it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I still have 2 :) I like the shade in the back of the house not the front, the front faces East so I want the morning light.
    We lost a big hard maple a couple of years ago, so the only big tree close enough to the house to really cause any gutter problems is a huge pin oak that's been here since Dad built the place in 1952. The other trees are far enough from the house that they're not much of an issue, but do provide a lot of shade out in the yard.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I can't help you. I was going to recommend Gutter Helmet. My parents had them installed when they first moved into their last house. My oldest daughter and family now live there. Twenty years with large oak and hickory trees within thirty feet of the house, never an issues with clogging or anything else.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I had 5 trees in my yard. So far I’ve had 3 removed, just because of this reason. I tried the guards... they still got clogged. It’s a never ending battle, so I killed the source. It’s amazing how much it’s helped the house just getting rid of the trees. The deck stays cleaner, the roof and gutters are clean, even the awnings are cleaner. Sorry I’m no help, but if you’re debating removing your trees, I highly suggest just biting the bullet and doing it.
    I get my power washer out and extension ladder and wash them out every season.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    But dont they claim to clean your gutters for free if they dont work? Have you tried calling them?

No I have not. I purchased the home with them in place. The gutters themselves are not clogged.

I took a look on the web page and the warranty is limited to the original purchaser, and they mention "exclusion" so often it could be a drinking game. (Read it out loud and take a shot every time "exclusion" is said. ;) )

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis

If you have a good tree guy would you post the contact info? The trees do need to be trimmed.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If it was once a season I would be ok with it. I need to clear them every couple of weeks. :xmad:
    I almost wonder if the pitch of your gutters is off. Other than spring and fall, the water flow should pretty much keep them clear if they're pitched correctly (and cleaned after the two heaviest seasons) I would think. Especially with 6" gutters.

Or am I misunderstanding you? Are you having to clean them every couple of weeks now, or do you just mean the spring and fall? I may be confusing myself. :):

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I almost wonder if the pitch of your gutters is off. Other than spring and fall, the water flow should pretty much keep them clear if they're pitched correctly (and cleaned after the two heaviest seasons) I would think. Especially with 6" gutters.

Or am I misunderstanding you? Are you having to clean them every couple of weeks now, or do you just mean the spring and fall? I may be confusing myself. :):

I need to clear them every couple of weeks. :xmad:

Another couple pics (in addition to the ones in the OP) might help show what the issue is. I don' think the pitch is the issue.

20210705_191533.jpg20210705_191358.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don' think the pitch is the issue.
    By pitch, I wasn't talking about the pitch of the roof. I'm talking about the angle at which the gutters direct the water towards your downspouts. But then again, you did say that the gutters themselves were clear, so yeah, I'm stumped too.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    If you have a good tree guy would you post the contact info? The trees do need to be trimmed.
    Yep. I’ll find his number and pm you. He’s the supervisor at the tree trimming company but he does it as a side job too for way cheaper. Had 2 maples in front removed for $800 ($400 a piece) and a maple in the back removed for $1600 (deck, privacy fence, power line under tree so it was more tedious)

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    By pitch, I wasn't talking about the pitch of the roof. I'm talking about the angle at which the gutters direct the water towards your downspouts. But then again, you did say that the gutters themselves were clear, so yeah, I'm stumped too.

I got that. :yesway: I wasn't trying to show the pitch of the roof, just that the gutter helmet covered the gutter and there is build up at the edge; same as the OP. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Unfortunately these weren't the correct thousand words. :D

It's just a bad design. :noway:

I'm in search of a better design.

Top Bottom