Gunsmiths? Colt 1911 wont drop mags free.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Hello INGO.

My Colt Lieutenant Commander is having issues dropping mags free.

It is not specific to the brand of magazine and does it with all of them...this is also a "new" problem....and I have not changed anything about the gun.

I was at the range shooting some reloads, and I had a fail to feed using an old GI magazine, so I tried to drop the magazine to clear the jam and it wouldnt drop free...had to cycle the slide then pull the mag out.

UPON DISASSEMBLY:

I detail stripped the gun and the symptoms are as follows.

BARE FRAME ONLY: Mags insert and drop free with NO resistance whatsoever.

TRIGGER BOW: When dropping the bare trigger bow over a variety of magazines, it is smooth and does not catch giving no resistance.

MAGAZINE RELEASE: With the magazine release in the bare frame...magazines insert snug, but drop free and clean when depressed.

The problem arises when the trigger is installed in the frame...the trigger bow is rubbing on the magazine tube.

It does this with ALL of my mags...I tried tweaking it gently but to no avail.

What causes this and how do I fix it?

Please and thank you
    God bless
    -Shred

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Thanks for the reply ghitch75,

I spent some time with the gun assembled and grips off....tweaking the bow with a screwdriver.

The diagnosis:...My Colt hates colt and mec-gar magazines now...but loves CMC's.

Got the bow straightened out and she feeds and drops CMC's every time....so its CMC mags from here on out.

Its amazing that what must have been .002 in overhang can make such a difference.

God bless
    -Shred

Top Bottom