• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My brother sent me a photo of the guns that I have bought for the boys over the years and I thought about what makes a good firearm for a kid.

This isn't about "when to start them" (depends on the child), but what to look for in the firearm itself.

1. I believe LOP is the most important consideration. If the child cannot manipulate the weapon correctly this this will impact both safety and enjoyment.

2. I would list weight as the second most important consideration.

download.php

I believe that anyone considering a firearm for their child should look at the Savage Cub (great LOP and weight) and the CZ 452 Scout (good LOP and can use it as a single shot).

I know we have many moms, dads, aunts and uncles. What advice do you have?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Rifles along wall, left to right: Remington Model 5, Henry Lever Youth, Sinchester 67A, Ruger 10/22 Compact, CZ 452 Scout, Marlin 915YN, CZ452 Scout, Kahr M1 Carbine, CZ 452 Scout, Savage Cub, Henry Lever Youth.

On floor:, left to right: Smith & Wesson MP 15/22, Savage 101, Smith & Wesson 317, Bushmaster Carbon 15, GSG5, Custom 1911 .22lr.

Last edited:

FPDDURAMAX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Anderson
    bought a henry 22lr lever action for one of my girls and a remington semi-auto 22lr for the other now I need to find something for my son!!!!! Maybe a Desert Eagle 50!!!!! Wonder if I can get by with that one????

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I like the Marlin model 60, it's a cheap easy way for kids and reliable. But, that is what I used after I graduated from my Red Ryder. :D

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Fit, weight, and caliber/gauge.

If they can't hold it properly, they won't enjoy it as much and will develope bad shooting habits. If it weighs more than they do, they can't handle the gun properly. Giving them a gun that kicks them halfway across the range to start off with is liable to put them off shooting forever.

Started my kid off with a Cricket .22LR the summer before his 5th birthday, then a Mossberg Bantam Youth 500 20 guage a couple years later for his 7th birthday in preparation for his first hunting season. Cathy's little Rossi 20 guage fit the size/weight/guage criteria, but without a recoil pad (which made it too long for him) the small butt and light weight makes it a painful gun to shoot. Gotta watch that with some "youth" guns.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Ruger Single Six with the Mag cylinder, with ballon targets and shot shells (#12 shot). Kids can also learn to break them down and clean them when the shooting is over, all part of the experience.

My boys carry the pistol frame without the cylinder when we squirrel hunt, to practice the 4 rules.

Small framed single shots are perfect for rifle options, my boys like the lever actions, we just feed them single-shot style.

Works for us, safe shooting y'all.

Last edited:

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I started my sons out with single shot rifles and I bought 2 single shot Savage pistols for them from a gun show. They were ages 6 and 8 at the time.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    My Dad's theory was to start me out on single shot stuff. He said that until I learned to shoot that there was no sense letting me waste ammo. Something that takes a bit to re-load will make them appreciate every round.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I bought a New England arms single shot .22/.410 for my 10 yr old, after looking at the list of guns he wanted, wasn't sure if he'd take to the little single shot, but he loved it, especially with the .410 barrel on it. All of the boys like to fire my Mosin Nagants too...can't understand why.;)

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I just bought my kids a Davy Crickett at the gun auction in Clayton. Below is the gun I got for $130 plus the internet buyer commission.

49102.jpg

Last edited:

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Yesterday, I bought my son 11 year old son, will be 12 in mArch, a S&W M&P .40 for his first pistol, brought it home and taught him to field strip and clean it, we'll hit the range tomorrow AM

Here is a pic of him shotting the .45 Kimber

Choose what you believe they can handle

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Got to love the "yeah!" at the end, LLD.:D

Thanks, Guns have made a huge impact on our relationship as a father and son, I would recommend it to everyone, young or old, to get with another younger person, to mentor, bond etc...

BTW, today he shot his new M&P .40 cal pistol at Pop Guns,,, we had some more fun and he really enjoys, having "his own" pistol.

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    The Cricket is nice, I've seen them as low as $75 at shows. The Ruger Super Bearcat is nice too. Smaller and lighter than the single six.

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    Anybody have any experience with a Rossi youth combo(.22/410) made by Taurus? Seems about the right size for granddaughter(tomboy who loves shooting her airsoft)

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The Cricket is nice, I've seen them as low as $75 at shows. The Ruger Super Bearcat is nice too. Smaller and lighter than the single six.

The Bearcat is a sweetheart of a gun. We have one, and it's not just a great gun for kids. All of us like shooting it, and it makes a neat trail gun.

Top Bottom