Guns being stolen out of police cars in Indy’s nicest neighborhoods?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If technology doesn't stand still, what difference does the patent make? It's the idea and the potential for abuse that I'm talking about.

You're asking the difference of holding a patent vs not holding a patent for a for profit company for a potential technology? That's not a serious question, is it?

Serious question: If "shadowy they" want to monitor your speed and report it remotely...speed cameras already exist. Roadside speed monitoring stations already exist. Toll roads tracking the time you take to get from point to point already exist. Your own vehicle can report speed via cell networks. Google maps knows how fast you are driving. What new capability does this give "them" to misuse the technology of whatever insidious plot to know your speed "they" have?

Serious answer: None. The "potential for abuse to notice and report speeding to *someone*" that exists is cheaper and simpler to use than trying to put a camera system in every vehicle, or even every commercial vehicle, on the road for whatever nebulous gain you think is there.

Did you read the patent? Or even the summary? Still no? Why?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    You're asking the difference of holding a patent vs not holding a patent for a for profit company for a potential technology? That's not a serious question, is it?

Serious question: If "shadowy they" want to monitor your speed and report it remotely...speed cameras already exist. Roadside speed monitoring stations already exist. Toll roads tracking the time you take to get from point to point already exist. Your own vehicle can report speed via cell networks. Google maps knows how fast you are driving. What new capability does this give "them" to misuse the technology of whatever insidious plot to know your speed "they" have?

Serious answer: None. The "potential for abuse to notice and report speeding to *someone*" that exists is cheaper and simpler to use than trying to put a camera system in every vehicle, or even every commercial vehicle, on the road for whatever nebulous gain you think is there.

Did you read the patent? Or even the summary? Still no? Why?
    Because apparently I don't give a **** as much as you do.

You're right. No danger at all of creeping towards a surveillance state. You win.

Have a cookie.

:):

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Agree about crime everyplace, and anytime. My home is on a quiet street, and my cars are locked every night, and day too.
    I have multiple outdoor light, some are motion type, some are standard models.
    No firearms ever left in vehicles.

My issued Squads had locking gun mounts for shotguns, but, were always locked if not going down the road. Yeah, the cars ideled with light bars running and AC on at accident calls. On Station for reports, locked cars.
    Chief used to lift your door handle.
    I know of one or two broken in while parked at a repair shop, but guns were removed and in PD Dept office.
    All you can do is the best you can.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Point well made.
    We had a very well known to us punk way back in my first few years on the job (early 2000's). He broke into one of the FTOs vehicle while he was riding with a rookie and stole a short barreled shotgun. We got intel within the hour of who had done it and the search was on. Five or six hours later we found him and sure enough, found the shotgun stashed under the hood of the car he was driving.

Off to jail he went. Had fingerprints, solid stopping charge, consent to search, everything. He was out of jail before noon that same day (I worked night shift), the federal prosecutor wouldn't charge him with illegal possession of a SBS and if I recall correctly this case was dismissed as part of a plea deal for a burglary case he already had pending.

We're well in to our 3rd generation of punks, thugs and scumbags who now know they can live a life filled with crime and suffer little other than the occasional few months away from home. The system's been broken for a long time.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Because apparently I don't give a **** as much as you do.

You're right. No danger at all of creeping towards a surveillance state. You win.

Have a cookie.

:):

I had a protein bar instead, trying to get in shape for bikini season. Be nice or I'll send pics...

Seems like if you want to be worried about it, you'd at least see what it is. Any tech can be abused, though, and that's a different conversation.

"I don't know about this fire thing, what if someone puts it on the side of my hut? Or once the bag is invented they fill one with poo and combine with that fire and leave it on my door step?"

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    Hmmm....Insurance companies are a huge culprit. Monitor your speed, your breaking habits, acceleration habits and more. Get in an accident and they think you are a bad driver, bam, they refuse and drop you.

I recently shopped for car insurance and did find a better rate but I am not about to give up my freedom to save 100 bucks.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    We had a very well known to us punk way back in my first few years on the job (early 2000's). He broke into one of the FTOs vehicle while he was riding with a rookie and stole a short barreled shotgun. We got intel within the hour of who had done it and the search was on. Five or six hours later we found him and sure enough, found the shotgun stashed under the hood of the car he was driving.

Off to jail he went. Had fingerprints, solid stopping charge, consent to search, everything. He was out of jail before noon that same day (I worked night shift), the federal prosecutor wouldn't charge him with illegal possession of a SBS and if I recall correctly this case was dismissed as part of a plea deal for a burglary case he already had pending.

We're well in to our 3rd generation of punks, thugs and scumbags who now know they can live a life filled with crime and suffer little other than the occasional few months away from home. The system's been broken for a long time.
    Couldn’t you have just called ATF and had them kick his windows in and charge him?

Top Bottom