• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    You are right. I would not recommend it but at the same time I could have worded it this way, he bought the firearm and the sold to his family member "me" two months after he got it. I do not condone breaking the law, but at the same time it was a family member helping me out. I was not a felon or someone barred from ownership of said weapon. I should have worded it differently though an thanks for pointing that out.

Yeah, that's definitely different, I figured there were some details missing. Just didn't want other people to get the idea that it's okay for someone to go out and buy a gun for someone else.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Yeah, that's definitely different, I figured there were some details missing. Just didn't want other people to get the idea that it's okay for someone to go out and buy a gun for someone else.

It is perfectly legal for someone to buy and give a gun to someone else, that's gifting and the form says it's accepted.
    What is not OK is for person A to give person B the money to buy it. Then person B gives the gun to person A.

Just remember, gifts can go both ways, and one doesn't have to be before the other. There are birthday cards with money, and Christmas presents with firearms inside.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I want to know what kind of gun I can own at this age for protecting myself in my own home.

I have been doing a lot of research lately, but sometimes it is easier to have this information paraphrased.

Also, what gun would you suggest for home defense?

I intend to become fully trained for whatever gun I decide to purchase.
    Alisha, You can own any gun you want that is not fully automatic. That said, if you wish to purchase a handgun before you reach 21, you will have to purchase it from an Individual (or receive it as a gift or through inheritance). You cannot have another person purchase one for you, unless they buy it as a gift for you, otherwise it is a "Straw purchase" and you could both be facing jail time. Gunshops and other FFL license holders cannot sell a handgun to a person under the age of 21. You CAN buy any rifle that has a 16" barrel or longer or shotgun from anyone, Gunshops, FFL license holders or individuals. You can also apply for your LTCH (license to carry handgun) in Indiana at age 18. Personally I use a handgun as my home defense firearm (a Colt 45 acp) - You may want to visit some Gunshops to look at firearms before you decide. A shotgun is also a good choice. With "defense" style ammunition either will provide good stopping power. Although many do use rifles as home defense weapons - I personally don't due to a few reasons, the first is that it would be awkward for me to handle in confined spaces (same reason I don't use a shotgun). Also most ammunition available will penetrate walls and object far more than a shotgun or handgun. (some ammo is available that won't).- WELCOME and hope some of this information helps you.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Alisha, You can own any gun you want that is not fully automatic. That said, if you wish to purchase a handgun before you reach 21, you will have to purchase it from an Individual (or receive it as a gift or through inheritance). You cannot have another person purchase one for you, unless they buy it as a gift for you, otherwise it is a "Straw purchase" and you could both be facing jail time. Gunshops and other FFL license holders cannot sell a handgun to a person under the age of 21. You CAN buy any rifle that has a 16" barrel or longer or shotgun from anyone, Gunshops, FFL license holders or individuals. You can also apply for your LTCH (license to carry handgun) in Indiana at age 18. Personally I use a handgun as my home defense firearm (a Colt 45 acp) - You may want to visit some Gunshops to look at firearms before you decide. A shotgun is also a good choice. With "defense" style ammunition either will provide good stopping power. Although many do use rifles as home defense weapons - I personally don't due to a few reasons, the first is that it would be awkward for me to handle in confined spaces (same reason I don't use a shotgun). Also most ammunition available will penetrate walls and object far more than a shotgun or handgun. (some ammo is available that won't).- WELCOME and hope some of this information helps you.

What about a pistol grip only shotgun. I never asked the shops that sold them, but don't you have to be 21 since they are handguns.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What about a pistol grip only shotgun. I never asked the shops that sold them, but don't you have to be 21 since they are handguns.

A pistol grip shotgun is not a handgun. :dunno:

IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:
    (A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or
    (B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Depends on your individual circumstances. Do you have family living with you? Do you have children in the dwelling? How close are neighbors? What sort of materials are on the exterior of your home? Do you plan to carry while away from your home or just leave it at home? Do you plan to own only ONE firearm? Do you plan to practice a lot? Can you afford to? etc....etc...

Anything can be effective if properly used. These are just a few things to consider as well as many more questions. For strictly home defense, each weapon poses certain pros as well as cons.

For example, if there are kids in the home or others you may need the use of a free hand to move them out of the way, shield them, move into other rooms to check on them, etc. You may also need to use a free hand to call police, use a flashlight, etc. A lot of this will prove much easier with a pistol, BUT pistols are generally regarded as SLIGHTLY less effective. They also require considerably more practice to gain AND keep proficiency. So that can weigh on your decision and add more cost to it as a choice.

Of course, you should practice and seek appropriate training with ANY weapon you choose but typically long guns require slightly less of it, although they do pose certain other somewhat significant cons than that of pistols.

Shotguns are relatively cheap, easier to gain and maintain proficiency, have the POTENTIAL for a significant deterrent factor, and have higher percentages of "1 shot-stops" than that of pistols. Of course, that is highly objective because a lot of factors play into such numbers such as the credible accuracy of the users, which tends to be much less in average pistol shooters than long gun users. Shotguns are also limited in magazine capacity more so than other choices and can be a little more difficult to reload, carry additional ammo, and more difficult to navigate interiors and confined spaces.

Suitable rifles are excellent choices but pose the same cons of maneuverability in tight areas that shotguns have. They typically are more effective than pistols (again relative statistics), and the other pros are pretty much the same as a shotgun. One BIG pro is ability to carry more ammunition than that of either shotguns or pistols. You never know when/how/ in what ways you will be forced to use your defense weapons. Therefore, having the ability to have more available ammo is BETTER.

Anyway, I hope some of this helps. There are a LOT of things to consider in making a choice. Nothing is simply black and white and rarely is in the real world. Hopefully, this demonstrates a need for more information as to YOUR specific needs to be able to accurately make suggestions suitable for you and your lifestyle.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Good post here for what you can/cannot buy and a general "how to" so to speak.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    If I were you, I'd get a simple mossberg 500 pump 12g shotgun and also buy a pistol. If you can handle the recoil, go with a 45. Plenty of members here sell them so they are not hard to find. 45 (IMO) is the best defense handgun round there is.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Not knowing if there is any room on the bandwagon and really hesitant to jump in the fray but:

In current times, we really need to be careful how and what you post. Anything you put on the internet is out there for all to see. It stays forever and whether or not you intend, it paints a picture. To come on here and post information that is so incorrect is just so wrong. Also then to say that being drunk was a reason. I sure hope that you never have any issues involving the legal community and firearms but rest assured that such posts will follow you and not in a good way. I don't mean this to be personal but we all need to stop and think about what we are doing. We are in perilous times.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Not knowing if there is any room on the bandwagon and really hesitant to jump in the fray but:

In current times, we really need to be careful how and what you post. Anything you put on the internet is out there for all to see. It stays forever and whether or not you intend, it paints a picture. To come on here and post information that is so incorrect is just so wrong. Also then to say that being drunk was a reason. I sure hope that you never have any issues involving the legal community and firearms but rest assured that such posts will follow you and not in a good way. I don't mean this to be personal but we all need to stop and think about what we are doing. We are in perilous times.

Because drinking is a crime?

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage

And fyi I stated I was drunk to explain my typos not why my info was incorrect. IF it is incorrect its because a fellow ingoer and LGS worker told me it.

Top Bottom