• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hogie08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    A friend recently informed me that you can write off a portion of the amount you paid for guns on your taxes as a 401k investment. Has anyone else heard this, and any more info that you can provide? Maybe there's already an older post that I can reference? Always trying to screw the government back out of a little bit more of my money.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I heard you can take all expenses for your dog (vet bills, food, treats) off your taxes too. Claim it as a "security system expense" if you have a business there, all it takes is a company provided cell phone to qualify.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I don't think you can, and even if you could you would lose that battle by paying "future tax rates" when you cash them in. I can't see this going well. If you were an officer and were required to supply your own gun or carry one they didn't issue you might be able to write a gun off as a business expense.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    What about the other problem inherent to this idea: You are preemptively registering your guns.

mike63502

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    You can claim anything you want. Some people claim it all and figure it is easier to pay the penalties when you are caught. However you are asking for trouble if you are caught with this one.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    As a 401k investment? No. No for many reasons. 401K has to go through your employer, for one. It has to be a defined contribution plan for two. It has to be cash or "deferred arrangement" (stock options, profit sharing), not physical objects, for three.

As a work related expense, maybe. I've written off duty weapons before.

Top Bottom