• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WileECoyotee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Huntington.IN.
    Gunman recoils at 2_year term | The Journal Gazette, Fort Wayne, Ind.

Gunman recoils at 2-year term

Rebecca S. Green

The Journal Gazette

Carleon Ragsdale was hoping for probation, anything but prison.

So when Allen Superior Judge Fran Gull sentenced him to two years behind bars for waving a gun around at a downtown bus stop in May – a move that got him shot by police – Ragsdale didn’t even try to hide his disappointment.

“I was told I’d get probation,” he said when Gull asked him Monday whether he wanted to appeal his sentence. “That’s the only reason I pleaded guilty.”

The 23-year-old Ragsdale pleaded guilty in October to criminal recklessness, resisting law enforcement and possession of a firearm by a domestic batterer, but the length of any prison sentence was left solely up to the judge.

On May 6, police responded to Citilink’s Superior Street bus terminal on a report of someone armed with a handgun. When officers approached Ragsdale, he fled, pulling out a handgun and pointing it upside down at the officers as he ran.

Officers repeatedly told him to drop his gun. While he was running across Superior Street, Ragsdale was shot. He then threw the gun and collapsed, according to police and court documents.

Before sentencing Monday, Ragsdale admitted to the judge his behavior was wrong, calling it “stupid, childish stuff.”

He told her he wanted to be a better father to his two children and intended to better himself so he could be a better example.

Then Gull sentenced him to two years on each of the first two charges and one year on the third, ordering all to be served at the same time.

Almost immediately, even as Gull continued speaking, Ragsdale began exhibiting signs of irritation – shaking his head and sighing.

When she asked him whether he wanted to appeal his sentence, Ragsdale let loose, blaming his attorney for making promises to him.

“I musta been coerced or something,” Ragsdale said.

His attorney, Don Swanson, told the court he informed Ragsdale he may receive probation, but said a juvenile charge of arson, which would have been a Class B felony if Ragsdale had been an adult, made prison likely. The juvenile charge was revealed during the presentence investigation.

Gull appointed Swanson to handle the appeal and bailiffs quickly moved to get the still-mumbling Ragsdale out of the courtroom.

Mods. , if this is in the wrong section please move it , thanks .:)

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    He should consider himself lucky that he wasn't shot. Pointing a gun at someone who also has a gun has never been a good idea.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    He should consider himself lucky that he wasn't shot.

Sounds like he DID get shot! From the second paragraph:

So when Allen Superior Judge Fran Gull sentenced him to two years behind bars for waving a gun around at a downtown bus stop in May – a move that got him shot by police

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    unanswered questions about this report:
    1) was the accused licensed to carry?
    2) was he "brandishing" an unholstered handgun in order to precipitate a call to the police or was he open carrying or sloppy concealing and some jerk called the cops? (i don't know the rules regarding guns and citilink, so that may have been a violation of a city ordinance)

While the answers to these questions would not "justify" his actions otherwise, they would certainly change the relevance of this story to the Indiana LTCH holder, and should have been addressed by the reporter. IMO.

fwiw
    (My guess, just a guess, is 1.) no, 2.) yes, he was brandishing)

BTW: i am not questioning FWPD's handling of this, given the info available at hand.

Last edited:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Here's your.............answers!

unanswered questions about this report:
    1) was the accused licensed to carry?
    He had a previous conviction for domestic battery. That means no LTCH!
    2) was he "brandishing" an unholstered handgun in order to precipitate a call to the police or was he open carrying or sloppy concealing and some jerk called the cops? (i don't know the rules regarding guns and citilink, so that may have been a violation of a city ordinance)
    When officers approached him, he pointed his gun at them and ran. Unless I'm confused, that's "brandishing" to the level of SHOOT HIM NOW!

While the answers to these questions would not "justify" his actions otherwise, they would certainly change the relevance of this story to the Indiana LTCH holder, and should have been addressed by the reporter. IMO.
    I am having a hard time imagining any relevance to IN LTCH holders.

fwiw
    (My guess, just a guess, is 1.) no, 2.) yes, he was brandishing)

BTW: i am not questioning FWPD's handling of this, given the info available at hand.

The answers to your questions are right there in the article.

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    sounds like another example of unwillingness of someone to be responsible for their actions. I agree, he needs more than 2 years and should quit whining, he could/should be dead. :twocents:

Top Bottom