• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cherokeewoody

Plinker
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    May 28, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I'm thinking of carving my own stock for an old Savage 22 bolt-action. I have a beautiful piece of walnut from a tree I cut down years ago and took to a saw mill. Just wanting to here any feedback. Is it difficult?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm thinking of carving my own stock for an old Savage 22 bolt-action. I have a beautiful piece of walnut from a tree I cut down years ago and took to a saw mill. Just wanting to here any feedback. Is it difficult?

GOOD question! Try it and let me know!:D

I'm looking at the same possibility. I have an old 20ga. J.C.Higgens bolt action shotgun that has a broken stock. I also have some 100+ year old black walnut planks that I've been threatening to laminate, and carve into a replacement for the J.C.H.

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    Good luck. I've done some stock shaping on the muzzleloaders I build, but I still haven't tried a full butt stock shaping. There is a lot of planning required. Get yourself several books and videos, watch and read, watch and read again, try it on some scrap, watch and read again, try it on more scrap. Then maybe you'll be ready to try and not screw up your piece of pretty walnut.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    files, scrapers, inletting ink, sandpaper, knowledge and time, is all it will take.... do your reasearch first as this is a very big project, but it can be done, and will give you a huge sence of pride.... stockmaking is becoming a lost art these days... please post results whenever you get the stock done but plan on it taking over 50 hours... (just a rough guess from talking to other people who have done it)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Good luck. I've done some stock shaping on the muzzleloaders I build, but I still haven't tried a full butt stock shaping. There is a lot of planning required. Get yourself several books and videos, watch and read, watch and read again, try it on some scrap, watch and read again, try it on more scrap. Then maybe you'll be ready to try and not screw up your piece of pretty walnut.

I DO at least have the old, broken stock. It has been repaired before, and VERY badly I might add!

I thought at least it would provide me with a good, three dimensional pattern from which to pull my measurements.

I'm fairly experienced with wood working, or I wouldn't even THINK about attempting it. I just need to get off my back-side and get started! :popcorn:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I built a target stock for an H&R M-12 a few years ago. The toughest part was inletting for the receiver, and getting the barrel channel lined up. There are channel scrapers available for the size you need from Midway, and /or Brownells. The outside is easy..... just remove whatever doesn't look like what you want.....:D

Take your time. It's an excellent project.

Top Bottom