• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Boonies and Cloverdale
    So I was sitting around cleaning some of my toys and Wonders has anyone thought to engrave ID on your firearms..... Kind of like a hidden itentifier? Since the state of Indiana doesnt register anything How do they know if a stolen gun really is yours. I was thinking of engraving my Initials on the slides or something someplace internal and hidden

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Boonies and Cloverdale
    Im just wondering how engraving internals will work.... I have never really looked into the balance Issue and dont know if I will throw off the balance on the slide at all doing it. Guess I will try on something cheap and easily replaced.....

Bob Wyre

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Why?

You should be recording the serial number, make, model and caliber of each of you firearms. Taking a digital photo of each firearm with the serial number is also a good addition to the aformentioned. Then, put this data in some place which is secure against theft and fire, such as your safety deposit box at your bank.

By engraving your initials on the piece you may be lowering the resale value, should you wish or have to sell the piece at a future date.

sptland

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Howe, IN
    If you're really that worried about it - record that gun shop you purchased it from along w/all of the serial # info, etc ... save your receipts! Be sure your receipt shows the firearm description and serial #, & date purchased! Gun shops must retain their records for a minimum of 20 years. If you purchase from a private individual - be sure to get a Bill of Sale w/the same information included! Engraving is pointless - I see firearms w/SSN# engraved and all kinds of stuff - only devalues firearm - doesn't prove ownership.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bball4life1234
    Top Bottom