• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I been thinking about how 3-4 months ago you couldn't find a gun to buy but now it seems people can't give them away. I realize some people still think their gun is worth as much used as it is new but even the realistic priced guns don't seem to be selling very fast. I hope it goes the same way with ammo soon.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I think the reason why the gun market inventory has started to be replenished and the sales have declined somewhat is the lack of ammo that goes with them. People are getting tired of buying guns and not being able to shoot them because of the ammo situation.

knot4reel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Way down south by Bl
    I been thinking about how 3-4 months ago you couldn't find a gun to buy but now it seems people can't give them away. I realize some people still think their gun is worth as much used as it is new but even the realistic priced guns don't seem to be selling very fast. I hope it goes the same way with ammo soon.
    :yesway: I've noticed that the ammo supply (online retailers) seems to be getting better. Locally this area Whittakers usually has the best supply. Wallyworld, forget about it ( people grabbing out of stockers hand before they can put it on the shelf.) :rolleyes:

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    Ive seen 22LR sell for 100$ and 50$ per 500rnd online and on this forum

I don't know what I'm more shocked about. People selling it for that price or the idiots buying it for that price

edit. I did get 5.56 at a great price at rural king. I felt so rich

Last edited:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Ahhhh, you mean it is becoming a buyers market again. If there is something out there that you want, I would hold off until late summer. I think sales will be really slow by then, and you should be able to get what you're after much cheaper.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I would be interested in hearing from gun shops as to how much (if any) the lack of ammo is having on gun sales.

Anyone, Bradis perhaps?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    Danville
    I have noticed all the shelves filling back up completely with guns also. From the beginning of when all the gun craze started until now, each week that I have walked into Plainfield Shooting Supplies I have seen the shelves gradually fill up with handguns and also the wall fill up with any AR-15 that you would want.

Ammo...I can only find 9mm at LGS, nowhere else (also other handgun calibers). 22LR...saw small amounts in Premier Arms in Brownsburg, but thats about it. The rest of the ammo (rifle caliber and such) is becoming more plentiful and a good amount cheaper.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I've noticed when I go to Midwest on the weekend, there are fewer people there now, than I can remember in a long time. Maybe since they built the new store.

LeadPharmer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2013
    Toledo, OH
    I was shocked when I went into my local Gander Mt. and saw boatloads of every popular firearm as well as SOME ammo on the shelf. I hope the trend continues.

SmithGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I heard they were predicting that in a few months the mom and pop gun shops were going to be hurting as the hoarding subsides since fewer people will be in the market for guns and ammo.

Hopefully things will stabilize for the public and the gun shops soon.

fundy87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2013
    Southern Indy
    the trend i see is a lot of folks trying to go bigger. i.e. trading a 9mm for a .40 or .45, the problem is that there is little 9mm ammo to be found, so no one wants to get rid of the handguns they have steady ammo streams for

MML

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    NWI
    LGS said the sale of new guns has dropped off the cliff and 30% of the current customers are denied of the sale because their credit cards limits are maxed out. The panic is over, in NWI there is plenty of both guns and ammo.

ruggiedj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Gander Mountain has plenty of handguns, overpriced but they have a good selection. Ammo can be found online if you are looking at the right moment.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

You are going to see a slow cycle that may never be fully appreciated from a large view without HUGE amounts of market research.

In the aftermath of the Sandy Hook event there was much talk of gun control and a fear of gun control. Firearms, ammunition, and all related paraphernalia flew off the shelves. So at the immediate storefront supplies thinned. This would cause massive orders to increase.

So now middlemen and manufacturers gear up to meet the demand and fill the backlog. Now, the first key decision is "How much do we gear up and for how long?" Each manufacturer would answer this slightly differently but all of them would do so to some degree or another. This would then place demand on their suppliers of raw materials for manufacture, thus pushing them to make similar decisions.

Meanwhile, the storefronts and middlemen are leveraging themselves to try to acquire as much product as possible to take advantage of massive profit potentials. They will extend themselves and pay more than what was needed just a few short monthes ago. This then causes each of the to make a decision based upon, "How much can I sell, at what profit, and for how long?" Again, each distributor and LGS will make similar choices with variances based upon individual needs and PERCEIVED needs.

Eventually, the market will balance the supply and demand but this will leave some holding the bag as they guessed...poorly. These will be distributors and LGS's that paid too much too late in the game and are on the hook to loose money, so they don't want to sell cheap, yet. However, eventually they will be forced to make very tough decisions that will have long term implications for them or face going out of business as they have stock that they bought at a now too high of price.

It is their resistance, which is reasonable to a point, that will delay the return to "pre-panic or near pre-panic" pricing. They will no longer be wanting to maximize profits but rather to minimize losses. Again, not unreasonable but holding on too long will allow competition to pass them by and leave them sinking toward Bankruptcy in one form or another.

In all of this there is a delay factor as each segment of the supply chain begins to normalize and re-stabilize. This will slow down different segments of the chain at varying paces.

We must also look at the demand side as it has not truly returned to a "normal" pre-panic level. How quickly it normalizes will differ greatly.

I am certain that for the large companies the accountants are working full time trying to figure out the best prices to be able to write off losses at and still show a good year - thus balancing profits with tax write offs.

Once production meets current demand and retail (including online) stocks begin to hold and demand doesn't outweigh supply we will see a return to normalcy. Of course, all it will take to throw things out of what is Sandy Hook II and all bets are off.

Just my :twocents:.

Regards,

Doug

MrCooper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Ammo is still hard to find but easing up. Gun sales do usually dip in the summer. However, the biggest reason sales have REALLY taken a fall (and causing LGS to close) is because everyone panic bought guns early in the year. They maxed out credit cards and bought everything they could afford.

Top Bottom