• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • movevio

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    I am looking into buying a gun safe that is fireproof (not a cabinet) was wondeing what everone has and where the deals are to be had. also was wondering if anyone has ever made or had a custom safe door made. any info is appreciated thanks

FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    My next safe will be built by Jeff Johnson of Johnson Safe Company in Zionsville Indiana.

He will build a safe to your specs. I like the fact that he uses a ceramic blanket as insulation and fire protection and the welds are second to none.

His number is 317-769-6337
    If you just need a safe door, he can do that as well.

A cheaper route would be like Tractor Supply or a sporting goods store.
    I picked this Cannon up a while back, im pleased with it and it was under $1000
    guns303001.jpg

Good luck!

paburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Fort Branch,IN
    I went with the "Stack on" brand but keep in mind if the description says " holds 32 guns" they must be counting hand guns for part of that figure. There is absolutely NO WAY to get that many in there. I only put 22s and shot guns in mine and only 4 or 5 have scopes mounted on them. so I put silicone gun socks on all my long guns for fear of scratching them since they were stacked so close. Come to think of it, maybe that's where the name "stack on" comes from. I like the safe overall.
    When picking a place in your home for the safe, keep in mind how heavy it is and the width. We nearly lost ours at the front door when the pallet broke at the top of the third step. We were usind a bob-cat to raise it up then planned to scoot it down the hall on cardboard. Had measured and all should have gone well. It wasn't too bad after we corrected the 33 degree tilt to the west and had it safely in the door. I did however forget to factor in the space required to make the turn from the hall way into the spare room. Finally got that under controll, but it was quite a stressful move. As if moving isn't stressful enough in itself.
    Rural King used to sell decent priced safes.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Try craigs list, that's where I got mine, found a cannon something orether. Once you find one on there do some research on it and figure out if its a good one. You'll have to pick it up, but you can usually save a couple hundred dollars that way. And look pretty hot in front of the misses by carrying it.

***Ironhead***

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Morgan county
    Be careful

If you are going to keep Guns in there that add up to alot of dollars do not look for the cheapest price. Check the fire rating @ a certain temp. for a certain time. As these increase so does the price. I have a browning safe from the Outdoorsman in Greenwood. A good friend has a Johnson safe. If I had to do it again I would get the Johnson. He will build it to fit your needs and your house for that matter.

knobcreeknut

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    shelbyville
    definitely johnson safe. my first safe was a johnson. when i needed another, i picked up an american security. I knew it was not the same quality, but couldn't afford anything better. I keep the good stuff in the johnson, and the lesser value toys in the amsec. no matter who makes the safe, compare the stats for break in and fire resistance and make sure it has a sargent & greenleaf lock

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have 2 johnson safes and really like them. If you go with the Liberty go with the higher level of them. The cheap ones at Gander mountian are not the sale as their more expensive models that Gander does not carry. 500 guns @ 3602 W 16th st in Indy carries the Liberty Line and although I think the price might be a little high they seem to move a bunch and have the higher end.

whipfinish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Ditto on Jeff Johnson. He is a great guy, makes a great product and if you want to upgrade your safe, he will give you a credit for your previous safe purchased from him and deliver it. He used to attend the 1500 Gun show but havent seen him there lately.

ARdysfunction

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Indy West Side
    I bought a “Winchester” safe from Sam’s club a few years back that is made by Granite Security for around $700. It is UL listed at 32 min in a 1200 deg fire. The quality is about the same as other safes in that price range. Over all it has worked for what I needed. It’s perfect for the office, but not big enough to hold a collection.

My next safe will most likely be a Johnson. I have spoke with them a few times out at the 1500, and was impressed with their products.

Top Bottom