• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Recently due to a growing collection i decided to take more precautionary steps to protect my firearms from the hands of thieves and of course house fires, i started doing research and looking for a safe and i ended up getting a good deal on a Fatboy Jr. made by Liberty and since this is my first safe purchase i was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this model safe, and of course any type of information that may be helpful, technical or otherwise. any help is greatly appreciated.

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    In my mind the main thing is to have a way to open the safe that is not related to electricity in any way, form, or fashion. Keys are OK but easier to bypass.

If you depend upon something electrical make sure you change the batteries with new ones on a regular basis. Keep something in the safe to control moisture. Have it delivered via a safe and secure method. Take careful notes on who delivers it and who knew you were getting it. Can you secure it to the floor/wall/ceiling?

The fewer people who know you have it the better off you are!

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    Recently due to a growing collection i decided to take more precautionary steps to protect my firearms from the hands of thieves and of course house fires, i started doing research and looking for a safe and i ended up getting a good deal on a Fatboy Jr. made by Liberty and since this is my first safe purchase i was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this model safe, and of course any type of information that may be helpful, technical or otherwise. any help is greatly appreciated.

Liberty makes a great product.
    And like everything else, you get what you pay for.
    I don't think you'll be disappointed.:twocents:

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    In my mind the main thing is to have a way to open the safe that is not related to electricity in any way, form, or fashion. Keys are OK but easier to bypass.

If you depend upon something electrical make sure you change the batteries with new ones on a regular basis. Keep something in the safe to control moisture. Have it delivered via a safe and secure method. Take careful notes on who delivers it and who knew you were getting it. Can you secure it to the floor/wall/ceiling?

The fewer people who know you have it the better off you are!

No electical lock, Dial combination lock only, id prefer not to rely on electronics. also turns out this model safe comes with the option to install a dehudmifier i can buy from liberty for a pretty cheap price. the only people who know i bought it was the store i am purchasing it from and i will be the one picking it up, and yes it can and will be bolted to the floor :) thank you for the help i really appreciate it.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County

I read through the first one a while back and even watched the video, however i believe when i get off work tonight i am going to go back and rewatch it again to make sure i understand it fully. a couple of tips from the video in the first thread is actually what helped me pick out my Fatboy Jr.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    From what i understand the Fatboy is not considered to have a high theft prevention rating, however as long as they cannot remove it from my home i doubt any average thief will be able to open it.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    My best advice when it comes to buying a safe is to always buy one bigger then you think you need......;)[/QUOTE

Considered that before hand, i only own about 6 handguns and 1 long gun, but i plan on my collection growing much larger after it is installed. Not having one is my primary reason for only owning 1 long gun, my house is too small as it is and i really have to safe storage space.

inlineman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Weapons education has an excellent video on gun safes on youtube,the guy that does the video also says you can call him and talk to him on the phone.It might help to talk to a pro.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I don't do electronic locks, especially in this price range of residential security containers, unless they have a manual override of some kind (which most in this price range, DON'T btw). They're just too prone to failure (and they do).

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    TOP 2 considerations... neither one is more important than the other, they're both equally important.

#1 design of the locking mechanism, door-frame, and bolts

#2 thickness of the steel both in the door and the body

Now, the better these get the more you pay...

With a poor door frame design a door can be easily pried. Poor locking design and it can be easily drilled/hammered into opening. Poor bolt design and it can still be pried even if the frame is well designed. Thin metal and the body can easily be cut open.

If you think your Cannon, Browning, Winchester, Wizbang (insert name of generic RSC here) is a great safe for the money I advise you consider how thick the metal in the body is. Most company's sell you on how thick the door is and they neglect to mention how thin the body is. Look here for a Browning that was easily cut open with a sawzall: My friends safe was broken into and one of my rifles was stolen? Updated w Pics! - Calguns.net

That is a Browning safe that was cut open with a sawz-all of all things. Look how thin the body is. This is one of the top neglected spots in a safe.

The #2 neglected place is the bolts and/or frame. Most safes have unsupported bolts. I don't care if the bolts are 2" diameter bolts, it's often just a gimmick because just behind the door-frame those 2" diameter bolts are attached to a thin piece of sheet metal with a 1/4" standard hardware store bolt. That's the worst thing about box-store specials and other RSC's no matter what name is slapped on it. They fix it up real nice and up-sell you on how many bolts and how thick they are, but they're only there to trick you into thinking it's real security. In the event of a prying attack the 1/4" hardware store special bolts and the thin metal they're mounted to just bends and the door pops open...

IMHO, Liberty's top-line, Amsec, Sturdy, & Graffunder are all names that offer REAL security. They also offer a hefty price-tag with that security. Be ready to pay over $1k for a small safe, and up to $5k or more for large, fancy safes.

IMHO, Sturdy offers the absolute best bang for the buck. In your search you may encounter a few recent negative reviews about Sturdy, one of them being here on INGO. It's all explained in this thread: Bad day with Sturdy safe and my thumbs down review. Update with resolution. - AR15.COM most specifically on pg 3 where Terry (owner of Sturdy Safe) explains the issue. The guy that was doing QC had a heart-attack and has been out for a while. They have 2 guys running QC in his place and they haven't been doing very well. He is addressing the issue, but in the meantime, anything that does slip by QC is being taken care of by Sturdy in what I would consider to be a reasonable manner.

Do your research before you buy. This is a great resource: Safes & Home Security - AR15.COM
    It's the INGO of safes and home security...

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom