• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GMack_1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Montgomery Co.
    I've been a member of this "great" forum for a while now, so of course I've made the gun-buy-plunge several times and am now a proud owner of several items I'd like to protect. What is the general consensus on gun safes these days?

I'd like to lock up what I don't need when I leave home. I'm thinking of a "break-in" scenario here, when I'm not at home.

I haven't seen a thread started on this subject in a while, so I thought I'd start one. What are folks buying these days? Or..., have bought and are happy with?

Feedback appreciated.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Johnson Safe is in Zionsville and are on here. They are also at the 1500, I am also in the market and will be talking with him at the next 1500. I will watch this thread closely!

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    i would also recommend looking at the fire rating. remember the safe is designed to slow down thieves, most can be penetrated with the proper tools and enough time, but for the most part they usually will prevent theft. i would focus on the locking bolts and the weight of the safe. also consider bolting it down. good luck with your decision, it is a very worthwhile investment. :ingo:

rushca01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    I have been looking at safes for a few months now and here is what I have found:

1. Most are made with thin 12 or 10 gauge steel bodies
    2. Cheap locking mechanisms that break or fail over time
    3. Poorly advertised fire ratings
    4. Very easily pryed open in the matter of minutes.
    5. Stich welding

After all my research there is only safe I will be buying and it's a Sturdy.

Check these guys out, http://www.sturdysafe.com/

Some of their recent videos (more on their site):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oOqDHedivQ]YouTube - Pry Bar Test On a Sturdy Gun Safe With Deadbolts Removed![/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9FslzOGzqw]YouTube - 10000lb. Forklift Pull Test On Sturdy Gun Safe Door Video[/ame]

sptland

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Howe, IN
    Does anyone know if Frontier Safe Company in Fort Wayne still makes safes? I purchased one about 7-8 years ago and would like to get another, but i heard they quit manufacturing them? If anyone knows of one for sale - don't buy it - just tell me where it's @!!!

originalhonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    greenwood
    i have a 1hr fire rated 50 some odd gun cap. i bought from gander on sale. i think its a liberty and its great.my:twocents: on the matter is that typically speaking home breakins are not done by pros with fork trucks or 10' bars that wanna spend the time with a safe. i could be wrong but im sure if you did the reserch youll find that most are done by young thugs looking for a quick score or older crack heads or lifers looking not to draw to much intrest there way. i would also note that in my case my safe is steel shimed 360o around 1/2" stainless ancors that are in 4-6" of concrete that is flush against the wall with no gap. walking in to my house and just flipping my safe over on its back aint gonna fly. plus i think the 4000 + ammo count and the 30 or 40 guns along with the extras inside and lets not forget the 1200lbs weight of the safe might also help my end along with the ancor job which by the way came with the safe. i would agree that some are better than others but at the same time i think some stuff is over kill and alot of hype over stuff that looks good but isnt realy to realistic unless you leave your safe empty with no ancors in the middle of an area big enough to work a forklift or move a 10' bar around. i think any mid to high grade safe you buy that has a good fire rating and that fits well in your budget will do what you want it to do as long as you instal it well. just my veiw on it :yesway:

Last edited:

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    IMHO fire rating and size are the most important features when looking for a safe. I think that fire is more of a threat than theft. if your safe is secured properly to the floor or wall and can't simply be carried away you are probably ok. Most residential burglaries are the amateur smash and grab type. The typical home burglar won't have the time, experience, or tools to defeat a good safe on site. If real pros want your guns anything short of Fort Knox won't keep them out. Most of us don't have enough guns to make that kind of attack worthwhile. Just my:twocents:.

Maverick

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Central Indiana
    500 guns in Speedway is Liberty Safe dealer. They have a good selection in their store and great prices. I would also get , as previously suggested, the largest one you can afford. As far as long guns are concerned, they will not practically hold as many as stated, without a lot of shuffling and banging around.

Top Bottom