• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Make sure you explain where it is, how much it weighs and to where you want it moved.

I made arrangements with a company to have a safe moved. Three guys showed up, looked at it and left.

Will they need to drive over soft ground? If so, then you might need to time the move with cooperative weather.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    This ^^^^
    And depending on what kind of safe you have you may be able to remove the door to make it easier to handle.

Depends on the safe and where it is located. I had a couple buddies help with mine. Taking the door off knocked a couple hundred pounds off and was a bear to put back on. If it has external hinges it should lift right off.

Now if it is heavy and in the basement it is whole different ball game. A guy in Plymouth moved mine out of the basement. It was heavy 1000 lbs+ He had a stair crawler. It walked it right out. A ways away for you.

BTW you can make them roll like a breeze if you tilt it and toss a couple pieces of 3/4" pvc pipe under it. (about 2- 2 1/2 feet long. Just need to keep a couple under it all the time.

Good luck

rxer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    Crown Point
    Take door off if has external hinges its much easier to move then (you'll be able to grip it better and remove a good 1/4 of the weight. Then like stated before, PVC pipe on either end and it will roll like it weighs 100 pounds. Moved 2 of them over 1000 pounds like that. Also used a refrigerator dolly but the safe was a little too tall so it would start digging into your arms once you leaned it over on the wheels. Might work if its not too tall.

bmiley1963

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Not sure this is the right place to ask but will a standard basement stairs withstand the weight of a 600+ lb safe?

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Not sure this is the right place to ask but will a standard basement stairs withstand the weight of a 600+ lb safe?

Depends on the construction quality... Do they look heavy duty?? I moved a 1000lb safe. To move it safely I laid a 2x6 on the floor under the stairs and put a 2x under the center of each step to give it some support. It worked great to give it a lot of extra support.These were basement stairs so it was open underneath them. If you put some 2x on top of the steps and slide it up or down pretty much no problem at all. But if you are on a dolly all the weight will be on one step.

Remember taking it down the steps is a lot easier than taking it back up if you ever want it moved.

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    When I moved mine we used a vending machine dolley. It handled my 1300 pound safe just fine. It worked great because it was a little taller than similar dolleys of same weight range

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    My safe lists as 550 pounds. We didn't have to navigate stairs, but my wife and I moved it from the trailer (where a fork lift set it) into the house and into place with an appliance dolly from Home Depot. We didn't even take the door off.

When we decided to move it to a different room last year, we did the same thing.

For stairs I would probably get a stronger friend and take the door off, but I wouldn't be afraid to do the job.

My safe is a 36 gun Stack On. Better safes are heavier, but if it's under 800 lbs., I would still probably do the job myself.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I will most likely sell with my house or sell locally. I will buy a new one versus moving it
    That is what I thought too... Then I had to move and I found a safe mover guy said he would get it out of there for $200. (Maybe it was $150??) Was well worth it to me. Retail was over 3k on that one.

Top Bottom