• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So after waiting for what seemed like an eternity (May 2014--Jan 2015) I finally got my Shadow :) I had been on the waiting list forever and waffled back and forth about whether to wait or just buy the SP-01 and upgrade it. As it happens with gun decisions, the day I made the choice to buy the SP-01 I got an email from Rob at CZ Custom saying some factory Shadows had just come in. The verdict is that this gun is simply awesome. Just awesome! I may follow up with more info on the gun if people are interested, but here is a quick review.

Fit/Finish/Feel:
    The gun is very smooth when cycling the slide. Not quite TRP smooth, but pretty great--especially after a few hundred rounds. There is a little up/down/side to side wiggle which honestly surprised me. I would be lying if I said that it didn't bother me, because initially it really did. After shooting it though I have no complaints. Finish is typical CZ "polycoat" aka thick black paint that looks like it will wear quite well. The feel is also classic CZ which is in my opinion perfect. I love the grip angle, the reach to the trigger, control placement, etc. I even like the rubber grips, which probably puts me in the minority. They just fit my hand perfectly. For reference sake, I usually wear a Medium glove. Medium Mechanix gloves end up being a little tight across the palm for me, and just a tad long in the fingers. As a result I prefer long grips with a short reach to the trigger, and in that respect the Shadow is great.

Function:
    I strongly dislike the "it functioned flawlessly over 50 rounds" bit since I think firearms need extensive evaluation periods before anyone starts using the F word. In the case of the Shadow, I had a couple FTF's. However, I was alternating between two mags at that point and I was only getting problems with one of them. I marked the suspected mag and set it aside and continued shooting with the others mags, and the Shadow didn't have problems from that point on. I'm nearly certain it was no more than a problematic mag at this point. To date I have put about 400-500 rounds through the gun made up of Tula, Winchester, Perfecta, and Fiocchi ball ammo, and a few rounds of Hornady Critical Duty.

Shootability:
    Stupidly easy. My Shadow weighs in at a whopping half ounce less than my Springfield TRP, and that little 9mm just doesnt move the gun much. It is childs play to track the front sight under quick strings. The trigger has a predictable, tactile reset which helps in shooting quick strings, and the SA pull weight is in the very low 4lbs range and quite crisp. DA pulls are not difficult to hit with and I would estimate the DA pull weight to be about 7.5-8lbs. Here is an example of how easy it is to shoot this gun. I took my wife to MCFG to shoot this, which was her third time ever shooting a handgun. Seriously. Due to other shooters using the bays, we had to shoot 20yds back from the plates. She shot the M&P9 first, and then I gave her the Shadow with a 12 round mag. From 20yds she did not miss the steel a single time. Frankly I was shocked (both with her skill, and knowing that the gun was contributing to that).

Intended Use:
    I bought the Shadow for IDPA and Home Defense, and I'll probably end up taking it to work as well. I don't see any problems with using a gun with a manual safety and a light trigger for home defense. I just don't. I mean how many people use 1911's for home defense, which also have light triggers and manual safeties and (for series 70 guns) no firing pin blocks? I'm not worried.

Conclusion:
    I love it, and it will hurt my wallet. Since my wife shoots it so much better than the M&P, I will inevitably have to get her a CZ. Either the SP-01, a regular 75, or something. Also this will likely result in me buying a P-01 for carry. Yikes. Don't buy CZ's guys, they will take over your life. And now pics since I know everyone is waiting for that :)

View attachment 35876
    View attachment 35879View attachment 35880

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Very nice!

Good review, gorgeous gun. Thanks for the input and congrats :yesway:

Thanks guys. With the TLR-1 hanging off the end quick shot strings one handed are even easy. Its crazy. I have no idea why the SP-01 and Shadow are not more popular. Must be the lack of exposure since it seems the guys who have them love them. IMO it is a superb home defense gun. I like shooting it more than anything else already :)

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between the Shadow and the Tactical versions? Isn't there also a Phantom version that is polymer?

All three guns are very similar, and it can take a while to figure out the differences. The regular and tactical versions are basically the same, and the shadow has been worked over. I highlighted the main differences below. Also CZ did make a Phantom for a while with a polymer frame and a decocker, but I'm fairly certain they killed that model around the time they introduced the P-07 and P-09 polymer guns.

Regular SP-01 = Manual Safety

Tactical SP-01 = Decocker

SP-01 Shadow = Manual Safety (extended levers), slide with no firing pin block for a lighter and smoother trigger pull, fo front sight with blacked out rear, and a physical trigger with a slightly different curve to it, and a hammer that is wider with different internal geometry. There are a few other small details as well, but that's the gist of it.

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    Regular SP-01 = Manual Safety

Tactical SP-01 = Decocker

SP-01 Shadow = Manual Safety (extended levers), slide with no firing pin block for a lighter and smoother trigger pull, fo front sight with blacked out rear, and a physical trigger with a slightly different curve to it, and a hammer that is wider with different internal geometry. There are a few other small details as well, but that's the gist of it.

Ohhhh, I see. So the Shadow is basically a more match-ready version.

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ohhhh, I see. So the Shadow is basically a more match-ready version.

Yep. You can upgrade a base SP-01 to the same level (firing pin block aside) if you are willing to put the time and money into it. I was just tired of playing around with gun upgrades and wanted something I didn't have to change out of the box.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've been trying to decide which CZ to pick up for my first and this thread doesn't help...lol! I had pretty much decided on a CZ 75B, non-Omega, when I saw this thread. I'd been debating picking up a fully cajunized SP-01 shadow, despite the crazy price tag, knowing I'd be getting a top end CZ, but I'm afraid I won't like the gun enough to justify the price tag. I've also thought I might just pick up an SP-01 tactical. I keep going back to the CZ 75B, as it's decently priced and would be a great introduction to the platform. This review makes me reconsider spending the money for the cajunized shadow... :rockwoot:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I've been trying to decide which CZ to pick up for my first and this thread doesn't help...lol! I had pretty much decided on a CZ 75B, non-Omega, when I saw this thread. I'd been debating picking up a fully cajunized SP-01 shadow, despite the crazy price tag, knowing I'd be getting a top end CZ, but I'm afraid I won't like the gun enough to justify the price tag. I've also thought I might just pick up an SP-01 tactical. I keep going back to the CZ 75B, as it's decently priced and would be a great introduction to the platform. This review makes me reconsider spending the money for the cajunized shadow... :rockwoot:

You may as well pick up the less expensive option first and have peace of mind. It's not like you will only have one either way you go.

Top Bottom