• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    On several forums I often see posts asking which gun for hiking in bear country. Without fail, there will be the obligatory "bear-spray instead" post to add contrast to all the other "best caliber" posts. Although the following link is a single incident, it bolsters my pro-gun opinion on this particular debate.

Bear vs Jogger with Bear-spray

I, for one, will not be adding pepper to a bear's next meal.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    From the article, it doesn't sound like she even sprayed the bear. I'm guessing a handgun would have done her as much good. Though, she survived. SOMETHING worked in her favor.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Heh. What's the old saying? I don't have to outrun the bear. I just have to out run YOU.

Sounds like her jogging partner was the faster of the two!

Once a bear is mauling you, I doubt either spray or a gun will help much. You'll be too busy feeding him your arms, to start fumbling for a gun. Now, if your FRIEND was carrying. That would help. I wouldn't mind one bit getting hosed down with OC spray, if it got the bear off of me. Heck, I wouldn't mind getting shot at, if the bear was the target.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    There's a rather long joke about bear bells. It ends by one guy saying they can tell a grizzly is in the area by what's in it's scat. "What's that" the other guy asks. "Bells" the first one replies.
    1. Be noisy..bears tend to leave unless they are defending something
    2. Bear spray had better be close at hand if you intend to use it to deter a bear.
    3. Your gun should also be close at hand in case the spray doesn't deter the bear.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    On several forums I often see posts asking which gun for hiking in bear country. Without fail, there will be the obligatory "bear-spray instead" post to add contrast to all the other "best caliber" posts. Although the following link is a single incident, it bolsters my pro-gun opinion on this particular debate.

Bear vs Jogger with Bear-spray

I, for one, will not be adding pepper to a bear's next meal.

I will "spray" 240 gr. JHP, .44 MAG...... YMMV

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I remember watching some travel show on Discovery about 20 years ago. They were filming in Alaska and riding on a train. The train stopped and let two men off to go fishing. As soon as the two men got off the train, they immediately loaded their firearms. One had an S & W M29 and the other one had a Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip. The host asked them why they needed guns to go fishing. One of the men answered with one word, "Bears". The host then asked them why they couldn't just use bear spray. The two men just both laughed.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    bear-warning-sign.jpg

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Both and bells. It is my understanding that bear spray works. It is also my understanding that sometimes a bear gets sprayed and then comes back. I would kill the bear at that point if I could.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I would/have carried both. I am not anxious to shoot a bear that could be deterred by spray. I am also aware that even .454 Casull isn't a death ray and a bear that is on rampage won't be deterred by it any more than by the spray. Sure, the bear will die, maybe 20 minutes after you do.

I guess the fat friend is the most reliable precaution if you are trying to get away completely unscathed. When you are in bear country you simply have to accept some amount of risk.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Brother in law lives in NW Montana and has had bears on his property. Recently his wife was out walking the dog (this area is remote) and surprised a bear. Fortunately for her the startled bear took off. They also have trail cams of a mountain lion on their property. He always carries a Ruger .44 mag when outside. I once took a hike with him and family into the Bob Marshall wilderness. Beautiful country but I was paranoid. He was in front, I brought up the rear with a .357. Would not want to do it again, like sharks in the ocean, bears/mountain lions are in the bush.

Top Bottom