• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    Depends on what I'm in the mood for. I enjoy combat handguns, the occasional issue of swat, and then whatever issue is out that has reviews on something of interest [could be one of a number of mags...or not magazine at all for a couple of months]

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    SWAT (subscription)
    Guns & Ammo (lovemywoods' subscription)
    Combat Handguns (lovemywoods' subscription)
    Shooting Times (lovemywoods' subscription)

Last edited:

cox7215

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
    2. Guns
    3. Tactical Weapons
    4. 1911
    5. Anything INGO members send us to read.

Dislikes: Well there is just 1, that damn "Custom Combat Handguns" its the only mag you can find here to buy when you get to go to the PX and they charge us 9.95 for the book and it only has 98 frecking pages! Then to make me even more pissed, the book has cheap black & white pages nothing in color!! Ok, I got the out there.....lol

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I get American Rifleman with my NRA membership; I open it and skim the articles when it arrives, but usually don't find much of interest.

I read SWAT on the newsstand and buy maybe every 3rd issue or so (when Pat Rogers has an article covering stuff I haven't heard in class). Their gear reviews aren't much different in tone or content than the rest of the trade rags, they're just written better. They do have a lot of articles beyond just gear reviews, though, and that's what sets this magazine apart. That, and several of the contributors are guys I've met and respect, including a couple fellow Hoosiers (Ken Campbell & Brent Wheat).

I browse Shotgun News on the newsstand but rarely buy; seems the same folks have been running the same ads forever. Most are obsolete before they run the first time, and they run for like 6 months! And the articles? Well, it seems Peter Kokalis never met a Century Arms gun he didn't like. Oh how the mighty have fallen. :xmad:

All of the other gun rags are basically manufacturer's sell sheets covered by a thin veneer of journalism. Except Gun Tests, which just plain sucks.

Last edited:

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I like American Rifleman. I also get North American Hunter, but its getting to be a few pages of articles and an overwhelming majority of advertisements. Terrible!

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    I just came across a copy of the letter to the editor I sent to Shooting Times magazine on 4/3/09. Needless to say, they didn’t print it or even reply.

Honest Reviews?
    Let me preface this by saying that I am a lifelong lover of guns and shooting. In my approximately 45 years of shooting I have used every type of firearm, from the smallest of vest pocket pistols thru crew served machine guns. As a result of this experience I am forced to conclude that your writers are the luckiest people in the world. They get to try both the latest and the greatest of firearms and get paid to do it. Also, they apparently have never found a firearm that they didn’t like. If they did they haven’t bothered to mention it to the rest of us. I have never seen a quote that is similar to the following: "If you have a choice between ABC MegaBlaster and a rock, choose the rock. It’s cheaper, more reliable, easier to throw, and you don’t need a permit to carry it." In fact I have never seen a substantially negative statement about any firearm ever reviewed. People rely on your reviews to make informed choices. If all of your reviews are sugar-coated to avoid offending current or potential advertisers you are failing in your duty to your readers. I’m sorry but not all firearms are created equal, some need to be flushed like the c*** they are.

Steve

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    I've subscribed to pretty much all of them at one time or another. Currently I get Gun Test, American Rifleman, Guns & Ammo, and Handguns. I also get the digital editions of Guns, Gun Tests, American Handgunner, Shooting Sports USA, GunsAmerica, Gun Reports and a few regular newsletters as well.

Top Bottom