• ...and so much more!
  • kc9djn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    Hello
    I am sure this has been answered before, but I cannot fnd the thread. I wanted to know how I could legally transport a firearm into Illinois in my car. I wondered if it was locked, no ammo near it, and in the trunk if I was legal. I have an Indiana concealed carry card.
    Thanks in advance.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hello
    I am sure this has been answered before, but I cannot fnd the thread. I wanted to know how I could legally transport a firearm into Illinois in my car. I wondered if it was locked, no ammo near it, and in the trunk if I was legal. I have an Indiana concealed carry card.
    Thanks in advance.

What's an Indiana concealed carry card?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I drove to Il. for about six months, for a job that I had, I talked to 3 Officers, Chi. Il. PD., and they all told me, gun unloaded, locked, ammo seperate, and locked also... The only way to know for sure, is call Il. State PD. and ask... Or you may be able to call In. State PD. and ask them...:twocents:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Don't tell em. By the time you unlocked the gun, unlocked the ammo, loaded the gun = DEAD!

Sorry,
    Not trying to make light of your question/concerns.

Last edited:

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Non- residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in their state of residence. It is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:
    1. Unloaded, and
    2. Enclosed in a case, and
    3. Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state.
    Is it legal to have ammunition in the case with the firearm? Yes, so long as the firearm is unloaded and properly enclosed in a case.

IL does not regulate where ammo has to be. It just can't be in the chamber, or in a loaded magazine that's loaded into the gun.

1 and 2 are clear cut. 3 is hazy. Some cops say if it's in a case, it's not immediately accessible so it doesn't matter where it is, some say it has to be in the back seat or out of arms reach, others say it can't be in the same compartment as the passengers. Be safe and put it out of sight.

I was a resident of IL for the last 23 years until this last october.

Posted By Colt556:
    Don't tell em. By the time you unlocked the gun, unlocked the ammo, loaded the gun = DEAD!
    Nothing has to be locked. A loaded mag can be in the same compartment as the gun, legally.

Last edited:

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I have in laws in IA while my parents live in IL. We visit my parents first, then the inlaws when the wife and I go home so I can get fuel in IA and leave nothing but pollutants and rest stop leftovers on my way through back home to IN.

Top Bottom