• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LUVn40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I regularly see coyotes while deer hunting in the southwestern part of the state and have shot a few over the years with my slug gun or muzzle loader but never have I set out to pursue them. I’m thinking that with the increased numbers of these critters in my hunting area, I’ve seen many this year already, it’s time I did. Should be fun and might help out the deer herd too. So I’m thinking of purchasing a new rifle for the sole purpose of coyote hunting.

I’ve never even shot one of the modern sporting rifles, the AR style, but love the apparent versatility. I’m wondering if I could get some advice on what to consider. As far as caliber, I’m thinking .223. Most of my shots would be at 300 yards or less. Also a good 3-9 variable scope, adjustable stock for ease of adjusting to different weights of clothing I might wear afield and maybe a bi-pod for stability. I’m wondering what other add-ons might be beneficial.

Any thoughts regarding all of this would be much appreciated.

hysteria

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    As you already know you can kill them with just about any weapon. Certain features can definitely make it easier tho.
    Do you have a budget in mind?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    For the parameters you've listed, .223 at <300 yards, most any off the rack carbine will do. You could get the bottom of the line AR15 in .223 and be able to reach 300 yards EASILY, and you don't really need the optics to do it.

Optics do make things MUCH easier, but 300 yards is NOTHING for a decent AR15 as long as the shooter is competent.

In boot camp we had to qualify with the M16 at 500 meters with only iron sights.
    Again, 300 yards is a cake-walk for an AR.

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    .243 would be my choice especially if you think you might ever do any rifle hunting in other states that allow it.

jbz400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    United States
    For the parameters you've listed, .223 at <300 yards, most any off the rack carbine will do. You could get the bottom of the line AR15 in .223 and be able to reach 300 yards EASILY, and you don't really need the optics to do it.

Optics do make things MUCH easier, but 300 yards is NOTHING for a decent AR15 as long as the shooter is competent.

In boot camp we had to qualify with the M16 at 500 meters with only iron sights.
    Again, 300 yards is a cake-walk for an AR.

What he said. Plus the ar fun to shoot factor.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'm a .243 guy, have been for decades............but inside of 300 yards I think the .223 better.
    AR platform hard to beat for multi use.

Hell inside 150yd a 55gr varmint bullet from a .223 can rip one up pretty good.

I'm thinking a bit heavier bullet and less V.....................6mmTCU
    Damn TC barrels a bit expensive these days :(

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    If the OP is going out to buy a rifle for the job then grab something in the Marlin, Savage, Remington line. Im partial to the 30 caliber cartridges. Have fun and be loud about it! :rockwoot:

Some Oink sauce from Rural King makes those coyotes taste a little better! :laugh:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My .243 700 with 22" bbl and loaded with 4350 is louder than many rigs of larger caliber........so say the farmers/ neighbors of my bud's private ranges :)

The 600 in .243 with 18.5" bbl was pretty nasty.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Almost anything centerfire will fill your requirements. A 223 will work fine. It may not work as well as some other calibers on the market, but if you see a coyote at 300 yds with a 223 in your hands, and you don't kill the coyote its definitely not the caliber's/platforms fault.

bigelowe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    bullitt county
    I'm seriously considering trying to put a fullsize stock on my sons old youth model savage 243. Great round for almost anything most people will hunt around here.

LUVn40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I really appreciate everyone’s input and ideas about a good combination for a rifle to use for coyote hunting.

I have to agree with hysteria that about any weapon will take down a coyote. I’ve killed them with my bow during archery season. And I do already own several more than capable rifles that would do the job, bolt actions in 243 and 270 and a traditional semi-auto in 30-06. But another reason I’m thinking an AR style rifle for coyote hunting is the nagging realization that “the powers that be” really don’t want me to have one of these “scary” looking weapons and naturally that appeals to the rebel in me and makes me want one.

Because of my aging eyesight and wearing of bifocals optics is a must. I already own several Leupold scopes, my most recent purchase a 3X9X40mm shotgun scope that I find does a fantastic job so one similar for a rifle will likely be what I go with for the new purchase.

As far as budget, I’d love to keep the total cost around the $1,000.00 range but don’t know if that’s realistic or not. As I said, I’ve not even shot one of these modern semi-autos but have heard nothing but good things about them. Make and model is one big question I have. remauto1187 mentioned Marlin, Savage or Remington. Is one manufacturer better than another when it comes to the AR? And what about barrel length? I’m a bit old school here thinking a longer barrel is more forgiving and provides better accuracy but don’t know about the AR platform. Just wondering what other folks’ experiences are.

Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts. This is such a great way to draw from the experience of people in the know.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    .223 is great. I always enjoyed using my .308. I shot the Federal premiums with the 150 ballistic tip. Keeping the hides never interested me.:D I didn't just want them dead, I wanted to send a message.

Not to hijack but...

I don't know if this is common, I am no AR expert; when a buddy and me used to shoot a lot, his AR would sometimes fail to go bang when the temperature was very low, like 0 and under. I don't even remember what brand his rifle was, but I got several yotes that he should have gotten after hearing his go click. Now that I have ARs, that is always in the back of mind, probably unfairly. I have grown older, wiser, and less tolerant of those temperatures so I have never shot any of mine under that kind of condition. Anyone else ever have such an issue?

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I really appreciate everyone’s input and ideas about a good combination for a rifle to use for coyote hunting.

I have to agree with hysteria that about any weapon will take down a coyote. I’ve killed them with my bow during archery season. And I do already own several more than capable rifles that would do the job, bolt actions in 243 and 270 and a traditional semi-auto in 30-06. But another reason I’m thinking an AR style rifle for coyote hunting is the nagging realization that “the powers that be” really don’t want me to have one of these “scary” looking weapons and naturally that appeals to the rebel in me and makes me want one.

Because of my aging eyesight and wearing of bifocals optics is a must. I already own several Leupold scopes, my most recent purchase a 3X9X40mm shotgun scope that I find does a fantastic job so one similar for a rifle will likely be what I go with for the new purchase.

As far as budget, I’d love to keep the total cost around the $1,000.00 range but don’t know if that’s realistic or not. As I said, I’ve not even shot one of these modern semi-autos but have heard nothing but good things about them. Make and model is one big question I have. remauto1187 mentioned Marlin, Savage or Remington. Is one manufacturer better than another when it comes to the AR? And what about barrel length? I’m a bit old school here thinking a longer barrel is more forgiving and provides better accuracy but don’t know about the AR platform. Just wondering what other folks’ experiences are.

Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts. This is such a great way to draw from the experience of people in the know.

I use a Rock river arms ATH (advanced tactical hunter ) . Barrel length is 18" and it performs awesome . Never had a fail to fire or eject (ever) . They have a predator model that you can get with a 16 of 20" barrel .
    They can be bought new for right at your price range if you shop around a bit . I have nothing but good things to say about RRA . I'm sure other brands can get the job done for less money , but I wouldn't trade what I have for anything else .

Top Bottom